Rhody Hardtail Clave 2002 pick a date - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

View Poll Results: Which weekend for the Rhody Hardtail Clave ?
Sept. 21st & 22nd 6 46.15%
Sept. 28th & 29th 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2002, 08:10 AM

Question Rhody Hardtail Clave 2002 pick a date

So what date works best for you?

Sept. 21 & 22
or
Sept. 28 & 29

Some details

Here

Last edited by JimW; 08-15-2002 at 08:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2002, 08:16 AM
Flats Rat

I voted 28 / 29 since high tides are mid-day early p.m. - not sure if thats good or bad.

I can do either week-end.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:47 AM

Either one.

Gregg
Old 08-15-2002, 08:50 AM

I'm goin for the later dates because this Clave would replace the traditional Fall Rhodeyfest (unless you hounds with more time on your hands can squeeze in another one a month later). So I'd like to get all the shorebound action we can.

Lefty
Old 08-15-2002, 08:59 AM
Here fishy fishy

I voted for 9/21, but I could do either Saturday. I'd be in for the early am drive down from MA and back again that night.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:41 PM

Sept. 28 & 29 is best from a boat, but if you want to fish the West Wall it sucks. To fish the wall correctly you need a high tide close to sunrise. That's the best Albie spot in the state from shore. I'd bet Striblue's fly collection on that.

To my knowledge, John has never made a ocean state appearance. Most of the time he's holding court in Chatham Castle.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:52 AM

I'm good for either date. Looking forward to catching up with all you guys!

Dave
Old 08-16-2002, 05:32 AM

Talking

28-29 better for me but could do either. Juro are you joining us?
FishHawk
Old 08-16-2002, 05:40 AM

Weekapaug,Napatree

:eyecrazy: Ray I gotta disagree, on West Wall being the best in the state. They have the fishtrap which is a pain in the butt. My vote for shore bound has to be Weekapaug or Napatree. Weekapaug is usually crowded, but Napatree from the short wall out to the begining of the rocks is good, just have to hit it when the fish swing in close to the beach. With a boat it is no problem, just patience to get ahead of the hardtails, and wait.
Old 08-17-2002, 02:52 PM

Sudden wedding from outa nowhere. 21st better for me.
Old 08-17-2002, 09:45 PM

decision time next week.

I think we should make a decision sometimes next week as too what week for the RI Clave, it looks like camping if I am reeding the replys correctly. The camping sites will have to be reserved, it might be a little harder as it is earlier than other years, but I think there will be more fish around, including hard tails. Who will be fishing from shore, cell phone numbers, it is only 4 weeks away. :eyecrazy: Who is going to cook, lets not leave it on ones shoulders, probably want some simple meals. Maybe everyone should go on a diet.:hehe: More time fishing less time eating. ArtB
Old 08-18-2002, 12:35 PM

We need a food meister - Basically what this entails a discussion thread on the topic of what to eat when and what equipment we need. I'll make a blind cast and start a thread, let's see if we get any bites (volunteers). In the past we've had a Saturday evening meal, usually after dark, and a Sunday Brunch.

I think I can handle the list of who's going what days, nights, and put together a cell phone list.
I checked out the camping at Burlingame state park http://www.riparks.com/burlgmcamp.htm where weíve stayed in the past. They donít take reservations for tent sites but they do take reservations for cabins of which there are some available both weekends. Thereís always the option of staying in a motel for those that donít camp, you can enter the campground as a visitor for the gathering.

Art, Looks like the only date conflict is Geoff with the 21st looking better. The poll will run for a couple more days, I think itís set to 6 days from the initial post. Letís see how it looks Tuesday. I agree, letís nail down a date.

Terry, I might be up for an Oct. last blast RhodyFest type trip or hit Nickerson for the outer beaches.
Old 08-18-2002, 04:06 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds interesting! I would need to confirm how things are going to play out at work during that part of September before making any commitments but I would love to get involved.

For shorebound success for hardtails we can assume either the 'wall' or the west end are the best bets as Ray and Art suggest. Another consideration would be to get boats together and hit Westport MA, camping at Horseneck Beach State Park with that awesome ramp, etc. The Westport outing should be a little earlier in the month IMHO. Prior to that, a yak excursion to the very fishy spots in the upper cape south beach stretch would probably be a good hardtail appertif.

As we have learned in past outings, shore flyfishing on the Ocean State coast can be very temperamental due to winds, surf, etc. Targeting hardtails means fishing the outside, which means everything depends on the wind and surf. We'd have to have some kind of strategy to deal with these conditions if they arose.

I've always done best shorefishing for hardtails in places where they come hard into shore after bait. We would need to have a number of these locations scoped out for this to work or have enough boats involved to get to where the pods of moving fish are.

Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2002, 09:20 PM

My Opinion

:eyecrazy: I have fish for hard tails in RI for a few years, I am convinced the best areas are from Quonochotaug to Napatree. West Wall might be OK for a boat, but there is a fish trap out there, parking is sometimes a problem to fish from shore.I always like Quonochotaug, and Weekapaug Breachways on the incoming tide. Outside on the outgoing. I have a good friend who only fishes for false albacore, I shouldn't say this, but 90% of the time he fishes Quonochotaug, 10% Weekapaug. From the short wall back of the beach club in Watch Hill to the rocks on the tip of Napatree when they are around they are always back and forth there, just the question of are you in casting distance when they come close to shore. It seems like some people are moving things away from the area. Good luck. Last year my recommendations was for earlier than October, and I was right on. I will be fishing that area all fall especially in late September. Who ever wants to show up you are welcome RI Shore or Kayak Clave or not. ArtB
Old 08-18-2002, 10:00 PM

You can't get much closer to baitballs than this,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	baitball.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	738  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.