Need Advise on a 4-5 trout reel - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2002, 12:49 PM
Recent Member

Need Advise on a 4-5 trout reel

Hello, I'm New in this great Forum.

I want a new 4-5 trout reel in the range of 200-300 bucks.

I like Lamson reels (litespeed and purist), Loop, Bauer, Ross, Galvan and others. I don't like Orvis, but maybe you can tell me which is best because of your experience. I never used all the reels that I put in this post, only the Orvis and the Loop. I need performance but I also like the design.

Well I hope that you can understand my english.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2002, 01:01 PM

Any of those would do, there are so many good ones under $ 200 to choice from these days.

BTW, I am an old trout fisherman (40 years) and two weeks ago on vacation used my old Plueger Medalist that is 40 years old which cost $ 15 to $ 20 I believe back then. Now they cost maybe $ 50 but still very cheap.

It still does the job for basic small stream trout fishing, you do not need a very fancy fly reel with the elaborate drags they come with now a days unless you are going for trout in excess of ten lbs or more.

Heck I caught my first great lakes 20 pound king salmon on the fly with the old Plueger Medalist 20 years ago.

For stream trout fishing I would definitely spend the extra money on the rod and line versus the fly reel,

My 2 cents , hope it helps.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:44 PM

have to agree with pmflyfisher here...

No need for a big drag on a 4wt rod. You could spend that kind of money if you were after aesthetics. Personally I bang around my reels so much that I wouldn't consider buying a piece of jewelry for my go-to trout setup..... my .02

...this assumes you will be using the reel for traditional trout fishing. If you get into steelhead or big seeforellen browns you would need a heavier setup altogether.

BigDave
Old 08-14-2002, 02:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Nooksack Mac
For a 4/5-weight reel that has everything except cachet, take a look at the Cortland LTD S60. It's a light (3.5 oz.) graphite with rim control and a disc drag with more power than you'ld ever need. $79.95; extra spools around $40.
There are some small streams where my personal slip-and-sprawl rate is so high that I wouldn't risk an expensive reel. Fortunately, there are any number of inexpensive click-drag reels that are perfectly useable there: Medalists, Cortland Crown, S. A. Type 1, and knockoffs from many countries.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:54 PM
Bass Assassin

I have a Ross Cimarron Size 1 (3-5 wt) on my
4 wt St. Croix rod. It's built extremely well, is lightweight, and the drag is smooth and easy to dial in. I've heard some complaints w/ these reels about the line-out noise, but I haven't noticed it to be irritating. I think you can pick one up for around $130.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:23 PM
Recent Member

Thumbs up

Ok, Thank's all of you

I Understand what you guys are talking about.

I don't want a fancy reel, I forgot to tell us that I also want to use it with blackbass, crappies and carps.

They are a lot of trout hatcheries near my home, I know that it's not the same like natural places, but I can find in this places rainbow and brown trouts around 15lbs.

The only places that I can find wild rainbow in Mexico it's near Durango and Chihuahua States and some places in Baja (too far for home).

But in the past years I went to Colorado, New Mexico, Arkansas and the Guadalupe River in Texas. In that beautiful places I can see and understand the passion of fly fishing for trout.

Well, just a few comments.

Thanks again
Old 08-14-2002, 03:58 PM
Recent Member

You might take a look at the Loomis Adventure Series Reels. For $100 you get an incredibly smooth reel with a nice disk drag. The workmanship on them is the best I've seen on reels in this price range and it exceeds that of many significantly more expensive ones.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:12 PM

Bob. I also have one of those reels. But I seem to have a problem with it. It seems that my drag likes to tighten up all by it's self. It seem to tighten when I'm pulling line off to cast. I'll be fishing for a while then reeling up to change flies,and when I feed line back out it seems like my drag tightens. It's not really a problem,just an inconvenance. After all that was said I really like reel.

Jim
Old 08-15-2002, 11:15 PM

I don't know why everyone is trying to stop you from getting a nice reel. I assume you already have a couple of good rods. Of course you don't have to spend $300 bucks, but if you want to...why not?
Having said that, if you can wait a little, Ross is going to introduce a replacement for the venerable Gunnison reel. This one is supposed to be very nice. I really like the Water Works/ Lamson reels. You can't go wrong with those.
I think that you should look at the Tibor "Tail Water". This is a very nice reel for around $300. Maybe my favorite.
Also, Abel is supposed to be coming out with a new realatively inexpensive reel. It will probably be out this fall/winter. If you are going to order through the mail, please call one of the Forum's sponsoring shops. They will be able to offer the same prices as all the othershops, and will take a personal intrest in setting you up right.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:09 AM
Recent Member

Thank you Eddie

Yes, Yes, I want a nice reel, but not fancy, just a "best buy". Like the St Croix UL or Sage RPLXI Rods.

They are "Huge" differences between living in the United States where you can buy every day, anytime, test the reels and maybe return products that you don't want or like; and living in Mexico City where you can only find 2 stores (one of them Orvis) and have to wait and wait.... to see new products or many brands.

It's not a complaint, just to make myself clear. I need to buy "once and for all" fly fishing products and always with lifetime warranty.

The thing is that I want to match a # 5 Powell LGA. I'm going to be in Los Angeles on August 26 and I'm going to stay about 10 days. I can´t wait a little because If I order fishing stuff from any store via FedEx or Ups from USA to México, it's a nightmare and too much taxes (about 40% more)

I visit in the past years Bob Marriot's store in Anaheim (nice guys), maybe at that time I can find that Ross reel that you talk about and the other reels that everybody recommend me.

Did you know about another store near LA, anyone?

Nobody in this forum own's a store.

Thank's again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.