New Fishing Machine - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2002, 08:43 AM

Thumbs up New Fishing Machine

Although no great fishing fishing stories to tell except if you live in lower CT get out into the Fairfield area quickly. Lots of 5-8lb Blues as well as some larger Bass at night. There seems to be alot of bait around lately and can't figure out what it is. It's not Spearing or Bay Anchovies for sure. Its roughly 1-2 inches with a very pronounced belly. Yearling Bunker maybe? I met two buddies out on Sat night as they were leaving the "Reef" to pack it in due to wind and lack of fish. I asked if they would take a walk to look at another area on a hunch. I shined my headlamp on the water and low and behold there was a good size schoolie right up tight to the beach. I then panned my light on the water further out and it looked like it was hailing with all the bait coming out of the water. The fish were there but so was 10,000,000,000,000 of those little baitfish they were eating. No hook ups but still fun to hear and see the fish busting all around us.

On a different note I will be signing my papers on a new Maritime 20D on this coming Saturday. I still can't wipe the smile from my face as I right this. I should be able to pick it up in about a week! Did I hear someone say " Just in time for the Albies? " Oh yeah!, I can hear the drag singing already.

Oh by the way Adrian and everyone else who can get to lower CT and has a Yak or a small boat there has been confirmed catches of Bones in the Norwalk Islands. Cokeenee Island ( cant spell the name right) seems to be the hottest spot for these Tunoids. Guides have picked up a few and friend bagged one the other day. They are sporadic and not thick but they are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2002, 12:54 PM
Flats Rat

Thanks for the report Mike, I will probably get out one night this week-end.

I would yak the Norwalk Islands any time other than when there are tunoids around. Its bad enough dealing with the occaisional bozo who roars past you just to watch you do ".....one of doze eskimo roll t'ings".

To be fair, most power guys are very respectful of paddlers but LI Sound has more than its share of people who really shouldn't be out there under power. I don't relish being sandwiched between a school of busting tunoids and a squadron on 6 pack loonies with 150hp yamahas strapped to their butts :eyecrazy:

PS, congratulations on your new machine - go get 'em

Last edited by Adrian; 08-14-2002 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:04 PM

Tunoid and Motor Boats

Adrian,

This is super secret knowledge. I know of two other people out there that are targeting them. Not too many people know what's going on. Not many boats out there except for pleasure boats. Everyone thinks the fishing is lowsy now. So let them sit at home in the AC while the real fisherman are out there catching fish and keeping the info on the hush hush. The info I get is reliable only because it's either me personally out there or I have a few friends that are Captains and Guides and they fill me in. It's good to be kept in the loop. So put the Yak on the roof and tie on a Peanut Bunker pattern and get out there!

By the way there are pleanty of Line Sides around too if you look around. Hint: Low Tide and the first 3hrs of the flood might be a good bet around Pennsfield Reef.

Remember you did not here any of this from SteelheadMike.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:39 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Mike,
Congrats on the new platform. I did the same thing last year and bought me a new craft but it was a little late for any serious Tunoid assaults. Ricky @ Fishermans World told me that there had been some Bones around the islands but kind of down played it as very sporadic and not worth a special effort. Enjoy the boat and remember the last week of August through the whole month of September you need to be out at the Sluiceway with your new boat as this is THE PLACE if you want consistent action with the fast swimmers. Keep an eye out for my White Triton w/Honda 130 on the back.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:09 PM

Will

Will do Striper! I personally like Plum Gut for those little critters. Last year we hammered fish in the Sluiceway, Watch Hill and the Gut.

Do you trailer the boat at all? If you do where do you launch from? If you want to trailer it down my way in Feb-March you can catch more Linesides in an afternoon than most people do all season.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:41 PM

Mike, you will love the Maritime. I love mine(1806). Let us know how you set it up. They don't have alot of storage, and require a little creativity. Fly rods pose the biggest problem. I think I am going to install them on the gunnels but haven't sorted out all the details. Eddie
Old 08-16-2002, 06:33 AM

Steely,
Yes I trailer the boat everywhere I go. Have F150, have boat, have trailer, will fish!!!!!!! I would love to get into some of that winter time linesider action you speak of, I have another friend who lives in Jersey that I fished with last year down that way in December and we did have alot of fun with the bass. He launches out of Atlantic Highlands and fishes Raritan Bay and across to Coney Island and vicinity. Keep in touch and I will give you a heads up on the hardtails as soon as I hear or see them. Are you buying the boat from Atlantic Outboard in Westbrook??? They are great guy's to work with if so, that is where I bought my boat from and I was very happy with their attitude.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
striper@optonline.net
Old 08-16-2002, 08:45 AM

Striper

Unfortunately I only have a Cherokee Sport 6cyl. That should be enough to tow 2700lbs. Answer to your question is YES the boat is at Atlantic Outboard. So far I am not impressed with their sales tactics but perhaps they will butter me up a bit when they see $8K in $100 dollar bills as my down payment???!! If not there is a place in Queens that I hear is very very good and when I spoke to them they were nothing but helpful. They cost a little more but sometimes the service is worth it. The way the boat is set up is 20D hull with 50 inch Console with the 3 sided windsheild ( kind of lobster boatish ). Since it drafts in 10-11 inches of water I will eventuall put a Poling platform on ..... eventually.

I will keep you posted as well this winter when the action heats up. The Hudson gets a push of thousands of fish in late January into Feb and they congregate around the Tellers Point area. Last Nov I was sight fishing to LARGE stripers pushing Spearing on the Flats out by the point. Dec can be awsome too depending on weather and water temps. So far it looks as if next season will be a banner one if this heat keeps up. Never the less the fish are there 90% of the time and they are catchable on the fly about 45% of the time. The other half we use Sluggo's and Storm's new Wild Eye Bunker Jigs dragged along the bottom. About 2 years ago I watched my uncle hook into a Cow in about 6ft of water that pulled his 14ft Aluminum with 3 guys in it backwards for over 100yds! He never landed it but damn it must have been massive. Another boat saw the fish surface and estimated the fish around 50-60lbs. Now that would be one hell of a Striper.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:36 AM

Mike,
Keep me posted on the boat thing. I have another friend who bought a Triton there earlier this year and he said the same thing that they did not seem very cooperative with the sales tactics. I am not sure what you are seeing with them but I am pretty friendly with Charlie and I can give him a call if you want, but I would just be honest with him and show him the money that always seems to change peoples minds real quick. By the way I bought my Triton from them back in Oct. 2001 and had a very pleasant experience except for the delays in delivery, jusy an FYI all of the boat dealers/marinas seem to be the same so if you think that you might get a better deal or treatment somewhere else you probably won't. I used to work in the industry and they are all the same for the most part. Good luck and keep me posted.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:05 AM

Left Over

You see I am looking at a leftover boat they have there. The price is very attractive but they just don't seem to wan't to throw in a a couple of low cost items to put the icing on the cake. The dealer in Queens although a hint more expensive has certainly thrown in some FreeBee's to at least make it look like they are trying. I work in sales myself and I know how the game works. The way I look at it is he is not the only game in town and if he wants to move that dead stock he will make nice nice for me. If not ...... he can sit and spin on it! I'll take my $$ elsewhere. I know what dealer cost is so if they think they can pull the wool of these eyes they can think again. I will go with an open mind and willingness to negotiate and with any luck we can both agree on a price and all will be happy.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:43 PM

What was dealer cost? How do you know? This is interesting.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:15 AM

Dealer

Sometimes you just get lucky and get to see the dealer invoice...
Old 08-19-2002, 09:17 AM

By the way

By the way he did make nice nice on a few things so I am waiting for my credit check on the loan and if that goes with out a hitch I will be sitting pretty!!!
Old 08-19-2002, 11:15 AM

and how much was was the invoice? I don't care what you paid(I'm sure you are getting a nice deal), I am just curiouse what the markup is to MSRP. You can PM me if you want, or if it is none of my god dammed business, not. This kind of info would give boat buyers insight and perhaps help them when negotiating a deal themselves.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:36 PM

Boat

I will say to you that they have pleanty of room to negotiate. Unfortunately alot of boats have manufacturers set pricing so everyone can win. If a dealer can knock off 5k for last years model thats a good indication that they can knock out at least 3k for this years model.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.