Elwha Dams - Fly Fishing Forum
Our Environment We are stewards of wild places

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2002, 12:49 PM
Pullin' Thread

Elwha Dams

Folks I saw a new item the other day in the local newspaper that was on the Elwha River dams. The item stated that the two dams will be removed from the wonderful river by 2007 and that the money to do so has been appropriated by Congress and approved by the Bush administration to do so.

For those of you that don't know this river, it is born in the high country of the Olympic National Park of Wasington's Oluypmpic Peninsula. The river used to have chinook of over 100 pounds until the lower dam (the Elwha Dam) was built in the early years of the 20th century at river mile 5. It never had a fish ladder. Then the Glines Canyon dam was built 12 miles further upriver from the Elwha Dam. This dam made a fish ladder useless on Elwha Dam because it took so long for the wter and fish to get throught Glines Canyon Dam that smolt rarely made it through and into the midle river on their downstream migration.

Anyhow, the removal of these two dams will provide anadromous fish (all 5 species of Pacific salmon, summer and winter steelhead, sea run cutthroat, and sea run bull trout) access to around 35ooo miles of primes, pristine spawning habitat. Also, DNA studies on the "rainbow trout" found above Glines Canyon Dam have clearly shown that these "rainbows" are actully winter and summer run steelhead that have not been able to make it through Glines Canyon Dam as smolts so they move back into the upper river and its tributaries.

Sometimes the fish actually win! It will take between 10 and 20 years for the full impact of the dam removals on the river to be seen, according the John Meyer, the anadromous fisheries biologist of Olympic National Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2002, 09:15 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

The Elwha was the first wild OP river I ever saw in the mid 80's when I was checking out the area prior to moving there. I've fished it steadily over the last 18 years and I have become very attached to it. I've felt strongly about the removal of these dams and was elated when Babbitt got it pushed through.

It doesn't matter how long it takes, the rebirth of the Elwha will be one of the biggest victories for anadromous species in history!

BTW - I never heard back from WSAS about those back issues, anyone else order any?
Old 08-25-2002, 09:30 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Juro-
Shoot me an email if you are still intrested in recieving a copy of that picuture...I have a contact for that picture you adore so much. That contact is a close freind and might be able to pull some strings for you.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:30 PM
President Weber T/U 681

Send a message via AIM to steeliesonafly
Port Angeles

Was stationed in Port Angeles for about 4 years and loved fishing on the Elwa. That was in the late 60's and early 70's. Glad to here the good news. I will be back! Coast Guard kept me very busy up there!
Utah Chapter 681
Old 08-25-2002, 11:48 PM
Pullin' Thread

Juro and Steelies on a fly,

I lived in Port Angeles as well and love the Elwha. It has treated me well. I am greatly anticipating the removal of the dams and the restoration of the fishery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.