Reports - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2002, 12:29 PM

Thumbs down Reports

So.... nobody else is fishing?

Hmmm.... you'd think with the number of members we have, more then 10 of them would have something to contribute.

While I do not encourage anyone to post specifics on where they fished, general info, flies tips & techniques are appreciaed by all.

Roop

Old 08-12-2002, 12:45 PM
LT 20

Merrimack River Mouth

Merrimack River mouth Salisbury Beach jettie. 2/3 schoolies with sand eel patterns. I was the only fly guy. You had to find a high rock on the jettie or your back cast had to be thrown high inorder to keep your fly off the rocks. I saw a few mid to high 20's fish caught by some of the bait fisherman. Good time though, I fished while the girl friend got a sun burn on the beach .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2002, 12:47 PM
LT 20

She didn't get burned that bad.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:55 PM
Fly chucker

I wish I had something to report, but I can't hit the salt until Labor Day weekend. Events and commitments are conspiring against me.........until then, I'll live vicariously through all of you for my ocean fishing.

Keep 'em coming!
Old 08-12-2002, 01:27 PM

Ahhh...my dog ate my report.
Actually Roop I just got in from a week in Maine with the family on a very nice Smallmouth and Largemouth lake. But I don't evan have time to type this reply let alone a report. Will report later in the warmwater board. It doesn't help that I'm playing carpenter at night. At least I missed the dog days of the season. If there's a Rhody Clave, count me in. If not, anyone want to go camping at Burlingame this Oct.?

Lefty
Old 08-12-2002, 01:48 PM

Roop the motivator ,
I too have been away on vaca, the craptop (crappy laptop) I brought with me didn't really cut it so I'll be posting belated reports. Glad you stirred things up. We could probably all post a bit more, but as you point out it's easy to get burned if you post specifics.

Latest general tidbit I've got is P-bunker are in the Plymouth area.

Lefty, I am thinking about hitting Burlingame in the end of Sept. this year to get the best Rhody has to offer. Hardtails, Hardtails, Hardtails. A small boat or Kayak gives you a better chance at 'em.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:58 PM

Thanks guys.

I just find it hard to believe that there are people fishing less than me.

Remember, you get out of a community like this what you put into it.

Roop
Old 08-12-2002, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
problem is i have too much to report...had an awesome time down on the cape 08/03-08/11. only problem now is i've returned to work and 8000 emails, 3000 of which are marked as "URGENT".

what i wouldn't give to be strolling back from the crib right about now.

will find some time to post a brief synopsis hopefully in the next couple of days. i've got to get my pics of juro's virgin sleighride developed first though.

that said, roop, thanks for the kick in the ass.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:50 PM

Yes, isn't this suppose to be the height of the New England salt water fly fishing season, or is that the fall ?

I am still digging out from vacation email backlog at work, and I have been back to work a week now !

Who invented email anyway ? Remember the days of central word processing ? several days to get a memo typed, then mail via interoffice or the post, and wait for a response back in 2 weeks or so. Of for the good old days at work when things were slower.

Great lakes will be heating up by end of August with the big salmon runs and then we are in prime time through november at least until the winter run steelhead show up.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:32 PM
Flats Rat

Jeff

I defected to fresh water and re-discovered what it was like to go fishing and catch fish - (for my reports see warmwater and Q Trout). Very good reason to be on the Housatonic late evening over the next 10 days or so

I had good intentions of cracking the after dark stealth approach via kayak to spooky mega-stripers in the estuary of the aforementioned river. Still have the rest of this month to do this since August counts as Dog Days - maybe this week-end
Old 08-12-2002, 09:00 PM

Last year I made the suggestion earlier than October, and no one listened. Between September 15, and October 1 the fishing is usually better, and false albacore are usually around. I tried last year to get the RI Clave earlier When we had it it was on the tail end. Don't say I didn't tell you. I will be around anyways I usually fish alone, but am not against taking anyone with me, most guys on the board like to strike out alone.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:08 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

My eventful weekend....

Okay, lets see, I hit "F1 Boston" in the A.M. both Saturday and Sunday so my son could watch the children's go-kart racing league buzz around the tracks.

Saturday evening the family hit the 1st Annual Hot Air Balloon Festival at the South Weymouth Naval Air Station.

Sunday afternoon I really lucked out and got the chance to mow the lawn and water the gardens.

At this point I can't even remember where I put my fly rod, let alone how to wave it to-and-fro above my head in a productive manner.

Maybe this fall.........
Old 08-12-2002, 09:41 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Bro,

Apparently you at least have the time to doctor photos of the honorable Penguin! I know a perfect bass pond 5 minutes from where you work. Trade the tie, slacks and well shined shoes for a bandolier, bathing suit and sandals and you can be into smallies in no time flat. I used to fish there every day when I was a younger man.

Quit wishin' and go fishin....

I am taking out the raft on Wednesday night in a much needed break from the home renovation front.

September is coming and I will have some NH striper stories to tell. I only hope that Mattb will be around to fish with me. I saw a post from Matt tonight and it was the first post that I have seen from him in quite some time.

Coolio.

-Mike
Old 08-13-2002, 05:00 AM

Unhappy

Saltwater has been a total bust for me. Have come close but no cigar. Freshwater has been excellent dispite the drought. Adrian try the Farmington it is a better fishery than the Hoosey but not as pretty. FishHawk
Old 08-13-2002, 10:40 AM
NC Fly Guy

Pamlico Sound, NC

Finally got a break from the NE wind yesterday and we got out on Pamlico Sound after 5 straight days of charters in the oyster creeks around Morehead City, NC. Found multiple schools of reds in shallow clear water and sight fished to them. Got one on a spinning rod from the poling tower while my buddy was having a problem. Switched to flies and had a great time casting small clousers and merkins to them. Eventually got out of the boat and waded along a soft sandy beach. Great day. Wind is going to cooperate the rest of the week too (or so the weatherman is telling us now).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.