Proposed changes to Striper Regs 2002! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2002, 08:55 AM
Recent Member

Angry Proposed changes to Striper Regs 2002!

Massachusetts Department of Marine Fisheries is proposing for this year (2002) to:

* Increase the recreational striped bass bag and size limit to 2 fish where the first fish must measure at least 28" and the second fish must measure at least 40".
* Increase the commercial quota from 807,000 to 1,000,000 lbs.

They are doing this in an attempt to head off ASMFC's new management plan this fall. CCA-MA has issued an Action Alert. Come to the hearings and voice your concern. Write letters to Diodati. Act now. Paul Diodati, Director, Division of Marine Fisheries 251 Causeway St., Boston, MA 02114; Fax: 617-626-1509

Public hearings are being held next Monday and Tuesday. If you care, please show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2002, 09:26 PM
Here fishy fishy

Exclamation

Ahem!!!

Wanted to raise this back up to the top. Serious stuff for all of us who are MA residents and striped bass aficionados.

Monday night (8/12) hearing - 7-10 pm at the auditorium of the Mass Maritime Academy

Tuesday night (8/13) hearing - 7-10 pm at the Annisquam River Marine Fisheries Station

I'm not a biologist, nor am I a fisheries expert, but I'm absolutely floored that MA is considering such a ridiculous change to our state striper regs - midseason no less w/ little to no advanced warning.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but everyone should try to attend a meeting, write a letter or send a fax. DON'T ACCEPT THIS AS FAIT ACCOMPLI!

Old 08-08-2002, 11:06 PM

While CCA is putting their energy and money trying to drive a wedge between enviromentalists and sportsmen, we get a real threat to recreational anglers.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:32 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I know what a 40" striper looks like, and I know angler's don't need that extra fish to make a limit... hmmm I wonder what 103,000 pounds of "extra" striper looks like?

Who comes up with this crap anyway? Ridiculous proposal.

Fax, email or letter today!

I am drafting mine this morning...
Old 08-09-2002, 09:22 AM

How many views of this thread so far?

There's no way they shold increase the recreational limit until the stock has stabilized - and even then at a gradual rate to allow the stock to adjust.

Don't forget that recreational fishermen are responsible for the lions share of killed fish.

The commercial piece needs greater clarification. What kind of commercial fishermen are we talking about?
Old 08-09-2002, 09:28 AM

Angry

I'm going to the meeting at Mass Maritime, Anyone else gonna make it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.