Fly, wire, mono connection. (One of many ways) - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2001, 06:46 PM

Fly, wire, mono connection. (One of many ways)

Randy
What is the best way to connect American Wire Co. braided stainless steel to your leader/tippet. All the knots I tied broke. I don't know how to do a Bimini twist. I
end up with a loop-to-loop. What do you recommend? Thanks, Mike

Mike,
Start off with a 12-inch piece of wire. Could try tying the wire to the fly with a surgeonís loop. This gives the fly a little more action. Personally I don't think the
small amount of additional action makes a difference with Blues. Plus, I think the larger knot could make a Striper think twice about hitting it. I like the clinch knot. It
takes a little more time, as you have to manipulate it a bit to tighten it. I always tie these up at home and not on the water, so time is not important. This knot is small
enough that I can even catch Stripers on it at this time of the year. Then tie on a 3-foot piece of 15 lb. Fluorocarbon to the wire using an Albright knot. This knot is
used when attaching 2 different materials together that are of vastly different diameters. Like Backing to Fly line, etc... The fluorocarbon is used to increase the odds
of hooking a striper by cutting down on the visibility of the leader. Roll this up and place it in a plastic bag. If Mr. Blue shows up, clip off several feet of you leader
and tie this on with a surgeons knot. Its quick, fast and you will still be able to catch Stripers.

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.