Fishing: Good...Fisherman: SUCKS - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2002, 08:22 AM
BB5 Survivor

Angry Fishing: Good...Fisherman: SUCKS

Well the good news is that I got my first bone of 2002 on Sunday...an 8lb porker. The BAD news is that I've never dropped/broken off/or missed the strikes of more tunoids in my life over the weekend.....ARGH!!!!!

--j
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2002, 08:40 AM

You're doing better than Mike and I. We made the run to the bar, had a good number of opportunities, missed lots of chances, I hooked up once and lost it near the boat, lots of small blues and lost flies, then to top the whole thing off our prop hub goes on us and we have to practically put put all the way home. Still a good day though.

Gregg
Old 08-05-2002, 08:45 AM
LT 20

Rips you found last year?

Gregg:

Are you and Mike fishing the same rips that you found last year or have you found a new spot?

Craig
Old 08-05-2002, 09:18 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Awesome news! Congrats Jared and of course the fab esteys are not far behind. Good luck getting your screw back in gear.

Time to start looking south...
Old 08-05-2002, 10:48 AM

We were on the bonito bar on the south side of Nantucket. Fly of choice that day seemed to be a chartruese bunny.

Gregg
Old 08-05-2002, 11:45 AM
LT 20

need help

I'm still a virgin, haven't had a Bonito on the end of my line yet. Sure could use the help of one of you experts.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:59 PM

Way to go Jared! At least you broke the ice.

Greg,
OMIGAWD! You didn't take your boat over to Nantucket did you?!:eyecrazy:
Old 08-05-2002, 05:42 PM

Yeah Sully we did. But I think it would be safe to say without exageration that if you took the center console out of our current boat you could fit last years boat inside it without scraping the sides. There is no way in **** I would take the putting green out there - getting to the vinyard was pushing it.

Gregg
Old 08-05-2002, 06:48 PM
President of CAC

Nice Jared....great...did you use a shop bought fly I am sure you will be hooking more with your determination.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:16 AM
BB5 Survivor

John,

My source for flies is the same as always....actually, hooking up wasn't the problem.....but a 1 to 15 or 20 landed/hooked (or at least a fly being hit) ratio is PATHETIC.

Fly selection didn't seem to make that much difference...I had interest in virtually every fly I used....I just couldn't seem to manage to land more than 1!!

(maybe I should have tried a worm fly....)

In any event, the tunoids will have to wait for a few weeks. Heading off on the family vacation tomorrow -- time to chase some sea-runs & salmon!

--j

Last edited by jared; 08-06-2002 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:22 AM

Jared -

In my ol' coho salmon days out west I fished tube flies in the salt chuck for this very reason. Coho don't eat like stripers and most SW patterns (hooks) you could that fit the bill find were tied for east coast head-snarfing bass, snook, tarpon, etc.

By tying on plastic tubes, my hook/land ratio skyrocketed. I have tied a few tunoid flies per this logic last year but did not fish them. This is the year!

Might be worth a try at the "bar".
Old 08-06-2002, 09:41 AM
BB5 Survivor

Juro --

An interesting notion....you'll have to come there sometime with me and we can field test together!

Chalked this past weekend up to one of those combinations of a tremendous lack of sleep (2 hours the 2.5 days prior...a work-related "issue" ), and then a myriad of little things:

bumps and the fish never came tight
hits and having the fish swim RIGHT at me and never coming tight
nail knot breaking
tippet pops
flies pulling

frankly, more hook-up problems than anything else...the one fish that I managed to come tight to and get a good hook-set on was landed! Now, there were TONS of little blues as well, so those kept me busy (and also good practice for knot tying....time to tie some more flies)

A far cry from last year's bounty of landing fish every trip...but Shane got one on Saturday (mine was Sunday) so that was cool!

--j
Old 08-08-2002, 08:57 PM

Jared: Don't be so hard on yourself. The bones were kinda tough this year. We boated at least 2 per trip (except Saturday 8/3 when we hooked around 20 and landed zero), but that was down alot from last year. On Sunday 8/4, in the fog, we had our best day and landed an even dozen in that same spot two boats over from you (I kept telling you to come over!). Even my dad landed 2 fish on spinning gear and he's the worst fisherman in the world! I ended up having a good day with 6 on fly and 1 on spinning. The day before (saturday) the fish were pretty tough I thought. Most people I spoke to reported the same thing; lots of hook-ups and very few fish landed. I had my best luck with a plain, white clouser on a No. 1 hook. Once I stuck with that pattern my landing ratio skyrocketed.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:12 PM

Jared, thanks for the invite, I'm hosed for the next two weekends but if you have a spot after that...

Steve, great to hear there's still someone whipping up some wasabi at the bonito bar!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.