Fishers Island--Race--Block Island 8/4 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2002, 08:09 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Fishers Island--Race--Block Island 8/4

Fished with my father in Mystic, CT on Sunday. Headed out around 7am with hopes to find hardtails. Reports of them lacking were true. We didn't positively ID any of them.

Stopped inside Fisher's Island on the way to the Race to cast to some breaking fish. No takers. Thought they were bonito but I think they were the imposters.

Reached the Race right at High tide. The slack water had amazing visiblity. It was like a fishtank. Imagine an orange shag carpet 10 ft wide and 300-400ft long. That was the krill like bait that was there. Saw blues racing through it but could not get one to take amongst the real stuff. Too much weed on top to get a popper to pop.

Ran to Little Gull Island to find birds working the surface. Still hoping that they were Bones, I kept the wire off. Cast. Strip. Pause. Bang...Fish on. But it didn't move. Pulled it towards the boat amidst some serious head shaking. Got a visual. It was a HUGE blue. I'm seriously regretting my lack of wire. Fish realizes this is not a good situation and decides to run. I clear the line just as my leader parts.

By the time I add some wire, the action has slowed down, so we head off to Watch Hill Reef. Nothing going on there on top, why not try Block Island?

We get about 1/3 the way and start seeing the reported Northeast Tarpon rolls that my father saw last week. I got a positive ID. Bluefish. Acres of them. Not slashing the surface. Not ripping up bait. Just lazily hanging out on the surface. We'd be going along and see one or two swirls as they got out of are way. We stopped the boat. The swirls sporatically appeared all around us. A couple of casts later, I got a nice 5lb one for the grill and we headed off for lunch.

As we fired the boat back up, and got on plane, I took a seat in the bow. The bluefish were so plentiful and water so clear that you could see huge schools of 5-10lb blues bolting out of the way of the boat just like Dolphin surfing the wake. I saw singles that appeared to be sleeping. Once woken, they splashe and darted away. It was simply amazing watching these savage predators lazily enjoying their beautiful Sunday Morning.

On the way back from Block, we lost our Port engine had to limp back home on one screw. I don't know how some people go farther than we did with one screw. I can't imagine being in any Weather other than FAC drifting along powerless. We gave the Starboard a nice washdown to thank it for getting us home safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2002, 10:36 AM

Mystery

Glad you solved the case of The Mystery Rolling Fish. I suspected bluefish would be the culprit.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:47 AM
Secret:Time on the water

Nick,
I too fished out of Groton on Sunday. Saw all of the same things you saw and also saw many schools fo the reported Bonito imposters which have been I.D.ed as Frigate Mackerel. These fish were all over the place just north of Block Island and south east of Fishers. I had a ball with the bluefish that you saw, there were some real bruisers in the mix and they were all too eager to take a popper or FinSfish tossed their way. I think I did have one pod of Bonito pop up right on my bow late in the day while drifting south of Fishers but they were up and down in the blink of an eye. Not a bad day and could not have been any calmer except for all of the big boat wakes it was FAC all day. If I had not been alone I would have considered taking my 20 C.C. south of the Block to look for some of them BFT that have been around of late, but I figured I better not push my luck, wait till I have a boat big enough to handle those waters if it gets nasty. Well nice report and it won't be long till we are chasing the Al-BBB's once again.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:01 AM
Fly chucker

Nick, that's a great report. Fishing with dads is always fun, regardless of the outcome.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:02 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Nick -

Both you and your dad are lucky to have shared a day like that on the water together. Great report!

Juro
Old 08-05-2002, 11:07 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
The other nice thing was having my younger brother along who just finished his summer duty after his 4th class year at the US Coast Guard Academy. Needless to say, he made a great captain.

Mike,
I was amazed at how choppy it got in FIS from all the boats. As soon as we got past Watch Hill reef, it quieted down tremendously. I'm sure it would have been even quieter outside of block, since there were still some rougue boat wakes to shake us. Interesting about those mackerel. Never would have guessed it. I thought I saw a bonito go airbourne as well, but I just chaulked it up to a fat bluefish Next time I'm in the area, I'll have to let you know.

Nick

Last edited by Nick; 08-05-2002 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:09 PM
Fluff

Ensign Svencer

Nick -

Glad you enjoyed your time with family.
Tell your brother 'Good Choice' for me

Semper Paratus
Old 08-05-2002, 10:59 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Nick,
Sounds good to me, I will be up there now until probably November every weekend unless something comes up around the house to keep me home. I have a 20 ft. Triton C.C. with Honda 130 on the back, the boat is white and I now tow it with my new Ford F-150 4X4 Extra cab Lariat pickup truck. This is one sweet ride that I really have fallen in love with, rides like a Caddy and tows like a bulldozer. I am normally alone as it seems nobody ever wants to take me up on my offers to go flyfishing for finny creatures, which is fine with me as I enjoy the time alone to reflect on many things. Solitude has a somewhat cleansing effect on me. Anyway enough of the babble shoot me an email anytime you are going to be up that way on the weekends and we can meet up and say hello, as well as maybe exchange cell numbers so that when one of us finds the fish the other can holler.

Tightlines,
Mike M.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.