Tuna? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2002, 03:50 PM
LT 20

Question Tuna?

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on the up coming tuna season? Has anyone got any info or comments on the tuna season in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2002, 08:40 PM
President of CAC

A neighbor caught a 165 pounder about 8 to 10 miles off the Chatham inlet on coventional tackle but Bob Benson went out yesterday about 25 miles for shark and tuna and saw nothing. I will make a try sometime this week on a friends boat.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:14 AM

That (bft on the fly) has been a personal goal for me this year and given what we saw off Chatham last season it looked like the place to make it happen ( or at least get the chances ).

To date though, the school fish haven't shown steadily in last years inshore locations. The reports of those large schools that were holding just south of the vineyard were encoraging but also delayed their movement out to the east. Even the giants seem to be slow in arriving at their summer grounds ( although I'm not experienced enough to know the corellation between the movement of the giants and rats )

I've been looking for them for the past three weekends and most recently I spent Friday & Saturday searching from 16 to 5 miles out, found plenty of whales, bait and birds working but there were no clear signs of tuna. Water temps have dropped over the past week about 4 - 6 degrees, might have held them back offshore.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:03 AM
LT 20

Would like to hook up with someone.

I would like to hook up with someone going after some tuna. I am more than willing to share in any cost. If someone is looking for someone to fish with, please let me know, be it a boat that is owned or a charter.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:07 AM
LT 20

tuna flies?

What kind of flies do people use to target tuna? I believe the old deep eel would be a good start.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:32 PM

since you will be casting (hopefully) to breaking fish the theory is that the selection dosen't get too critical. It's more of getting it in the right spot and a quick retrieve ( assume that you are the bait and you are being pursued by a hungry 70# predator that is capable of 30mph+ speeds, yup that kind of retrieve...).
Just kidding, I expect that there are times that a dead drifted fly would work just as well, it's all a situation that needs more research, right?
That said I'm looking at flashy flies like Ray's Killer Angels or a very flashy version of jeff Smith's Buffy. Think good hooks!
Old 08-04-2002, 07:57 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Craig -

The deep eel might be a mistaken for a toothpick... how about a new pattern called "the snapper blue"?

Good luck guys. I went to Blue Northern and indeed there is no 14# demo, but there is an RPLXi 14 and 12; also a nice demo 12# Sage. The 12 was easy to cast in fact it threw a whole line without too much trouble. The 14... :eyecrazy:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.