Aarrgggh! I smell humans! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2002, 07:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Nooksack Mac
Angry Aarrgggh! I smell humans!

We're now into what passes for "the long, hot summer" here in Pugetopia, the time of year when we share our dropping steelhead rivers with swimmers, wet-waders, and innertube-wearing, butt-bouncing downstream drifters. Can't complain on principle - Nature didn't make rivers for just one user group, but we can't dismiss the effect of so much sweaty DNA-distillate added to the water. These fish, after all, found their way back to this riffle from across the Intnl. Date Line using olfactory keenness that shames a Plott hound.
Question for debate: Based on your own experience, can you attest that waterborne peoplefunk has hindered or prevented you from hooking summer steelhead? And if so, how far downstream does the toxic zone extend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2002, 04:49 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I had to chuckle reading this, it reminded me of the day a flotilla of topless beauties riding tire tubes came by one bright summer day while I was seeking out a summer run a little too late into the morning.

Other than that day, I've find it a pain to have a lot of humans in the river and can only imagine the sunscreen, bugspray, who knows what is part of their presence in the river to the scent-sitive salmonids. Furthermore, I hate it the most when a group of kayakers decides to do eskimo rolls in the pool I worked my ass off to get to.

I spent my dozen blissful years of summer steelheading in Pugetopia concentrating on crack-of-dawn sorties or late afternoon outings around the upper stretches where the rubber hatch was over or well downstream pulling out for dinner. I think the fish have all that bad taste out of their mouths by then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.