Off Topic - Oregon Wildfires - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2002, 01:22 PM

Unhappy Off Topic - Oregon Wildfires

I just wanted to post letting my fellows in Oregon know that my thoughts are with them. I know from personal experience the devastating toll such fires take on persons and property. May the natural and national treasure we call Oregon, find Divine deliverance soon.

ws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2002, 01:33 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Having been born and raised in Medford, near where the worst fires are burning I echo watersprite's statements with deep concern for friends, family, and my beloved Rogue River. Please, take care.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:11 PM

It's getting interesting down here.

Two major fires in the immediate area. The BIG ONE stretches from just west of Grants Pass all the way to Cave Junction... that's a 25 mile long wall of fire. The 17,000 some residents of the area are under a 30 minute evac. notice. As the only way out (Hwy 199) is a two lane road this could get interesting.

Another major concern of this fire is if it gets to the Rogue (and it's pretty close now in some places) it could jump to the other side. Then we've really got hell to pay. No roads on that side of the river so no way to get heavy equipment in to fight the blaze.

The second big (no where to the extent of the one above) one is about 15 miles north east of Medford. Visability here in town right now (smoke in the air) is about 4 city blocks. From my office window I look at the hills that mark the eastern side of town (about 1/2 mile away). Completly gone; we're making Los Angeles look good.
fe
Old 08-01-2002, 02:41 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

In addition to what has already been said, I wish for the safety and well being of "our own" in harms way...

Fred, and other Oregonians in the Medford area... we're thinking of you man!
Old 08-01-2002, 07:36 PM

My shoes are worn out from doing rain dances, we need rain !!!!
I spent two years rightout of high school fighting fires for the usfs, I know how useless you can feel sometimes when the fire takes what it wants, I hope that no one looses a home or more ......Nate
Old 08-04-2002, 10:22 AM

Same situation in Black Hills, South Dakota which border Montana and Wyoming. Got back late last night from a week out there. High drought conditions, High fire risk signs up every where. The Grizzly Gulche fire which they put out a couple of weeks ago came right down to the edge of the historic city of Deadwood which we saw on Wednesday when we were up in the Northern Hills. Hundreds of people were evacuated. My two boys learned somethning about forest fires, which we donot have to deal with here in mid west, hope they get some rain out west soon.

Did not see a drop of rain all week in South Dakota, it was 90s and sunny all week.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:14 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

fires getting worse

I keep hearing that the fires are worse. How about it Fred? Any more info that you can pass on to us about the Southern Oregon fires?
Old 08-12-2002, 03:41 PM

Freds, in Europe on vacation with his wife for several weeks.

I hope he has some one watching the old and new houses for fire risks while he is away ? (I am sure he does)
Old 08-12-2002, 06:33 PM

Hal,

I was thinking the same thing this morning. I think Fred's Karma is right and we have nothing to worry about. Still I notice the fire reports...

ws
Old 08-21-2002, 10:16 PM

More Fires - Need Rain Everywhere

See url below

I was just in this area 2 weeks ago while on vacation in Black Hills, SD. Second major forest fire they have had this year. Saw the results of the first one when we were in Deadwood. It came less than a couple of hundred yards from the town.

They really need rain along with the rest of the nation.

Pray for rain !

We finally got some in Chicago this week and more heavy thunderstorms are on the way tonight.

Good for the salmon and steelhead runs too.

Battle Creek Fire

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?brd=1300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.