Yakin' for Bones - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2002, 02:22 PM

Exclamation Yakin' for Bones

I'm going to be doing some kayaking in the falmouth/so cape area next week. Seems like Bonito are on the menu. Given the fact that I'm stuck in an unpowered vessel, what are my chances of hooking up in the yak? I'm wondering if there are any success stories people would like to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2002, 03:25 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Jim,
I've had luck the past two years on Bonito from the Yak. Both my experiences were of of Misquamicut beach in RI, but I'm sure it would be the same on the south side of the Cape.

I saw the fish busting like madmen and launched the yak. No other boats were around for the first few attempts. I started to chase them in the yak. After realizing this was a futile attempt paddling after them, I started trolling around the areas they were in. In one of those classic moments in fishing, a bonito mistook my Puglisi Bunker as the real thing and darted off with it. I never had a chance to put the paddle down and grab the reel, the fish was gone.

My third plan worked out the best. The fish seemed to be patrolling a fairly regular pattern between a jetty and a few hundred yards of beachfront. I started guessing where they were going to show up and waiting. This also proved to be the safer approach since my frantic paddling and whitewater drew in 3 or 4 boats that were just as excited as I was.

After a few guesses, the waiting paid off as the fish started erupting right around the boat paying no regard to the bright orange Yak I was in. This happened a few times until I finally hooked one up and went along for the ride with cheers from those in the powered boats around me. 15 minutes later it was on the beach, 1 hr later it was being eaten by my family as sushi for lunch.

So yes, its possible, and way more fun than on shore or in a powered vessel.

Nick
Old 08-01-2002, 03:41 PM

Talking Yak Envy

Nick,

Cool story! That sounds like a helluva lot of fun!

...maybe I need to look into this kayak thing. Now I just need to find one that will comfortably seat a 6'4", 250 pounder like myself. Do you guys have any reccomendations for brands, models, etc?

Do you find that it gets dangerous with the 'run and gun' crew chasing the fish around like a bunch of maniacs in the fall?

Cheers,

BigDave
Old 08-01-2002, 03:53 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Nick definitely had the right technique for unpowered pursuit IMHO. I've caught several from shore and the key was positioning in the pattern they are in.

One example is the mouth of the Herring River on the early ebb when the area is packed with silversides, eels, anchovy or peabunker. The bonito (or albies) would make a semi circle in a clockwise direction in the eddy (one jetty shorter than the other) and end up right in the opening if you were lucky, sometimes a roll cast away (if for just one second).

Even in the West jetty at Wacky, the heardtails push the bait into the corner. When the bait is coming thru, they will come and chow. It's a great place to be waiting in a kayak.

There are a number of great ambush points from Chatham all the way down to the Carolinas (which I hope to try soon!)
Old 08-01-2002, 06:36 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Penguin and I had the pleasure of fishing aboard Art Sawayer's boat at last year's Bonclave. On Sunday, my last day at the clave, we fished hard and mixed with blues and no bones for most of the day. At the end of the day we ran into busting hardtails as we were passing between the Wacky jetties and heading for home. The bonito were close to shore to the west of the jetties. I dropped my fly right into the melee but the wire that I had tied on for the blues spooked them. No hookups.

Definitely a yak friendly locale on the sides of the jetties. I would feel less comfortable yakking between the jetties - that is certain.

-Mike
Old 08-01-2002, 07:08 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...'will YAK for food...

Since "they" are cruizin' at warp speed (20-30) you gotta' plan on being in the right spot at the right time. The odds are better than getting hit by a meteor but it's definitely hit 'n miss...
I'm keepin' an eye on Lewis Bay/Hyannisss and I've got a few surf candy anchovies at the ready...

Mike...how ya' been?! A Doogueless Chatham is like a day on da' flatzz without sunshine!
Old 08-01-2002, 08:52 PM
_

I was fishing from the jetty at Oak Bluffs a couple years ago and there was a guy paddling this great big canoe, alone, back and forth chasing the albies. His timing was off and he always seemed to be on the wrong end of the circuit. I kept wondering when he was going to give up on the paddling and just wait for them to come back. Never did see him hook up. Of course, they never even came close enough for me to get a shot. At least he had a little excitement!

Q
Old 08-02-2002, 04:19 PM

Thanks guys, that's inspiring stuff. I'll give it my best, albeit a wee bit early.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:27 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Hey Pete,

I've focused on chasing the little white ball around this summer more than anything else(as evidenced by the new avatar).

Mike is now hitched and a proud home owner so he hasn't quite found his way to the water this year.

Dad's had a few set backs as well this season that have contributed to his conspicuous absence. Believe me, he's raring to go as soon as he's cleared for take off. We have three kayaks in the locked and loaded position.........

Hopefully in the fall we can hook up with everyone again.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:45 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Yes Pete,

Mark's words ring true. I waited to reply for fear of throwing a heaping pile of thread creep onto this thread. But, since Jim's reel may be singing with the shrill cry of a bonito run at this very moment I no longer feel any guilt.

Throughout the summer I have been renovating the house that my wife and I bought in late May. I have the Doogue workhorse gene and therefore I have been working a little too hard - too hard to unlock the focus on my renovating tunnel vision anyway. I do have good reason for the overzealous attitude though - my living room floor. Yes, my wife and I have been sleeping on a mattress on the living room floor for many weeks now. Finishing some bedroom painting (and woodwork stripping) is the present goal. Many thanks to my Dad (quote: "Nobody can paint like me." and he was correct) I may be sleeping in my bedroom this weekend. You should have seen that guy working over the past few weekends. He is a dynamo.

I have had a chance to hit Chatham a handful of times this year. Normally Jeff Borkowski motivates me to shoot down to Chatham with his tales of striper adventures. I have enjoyed a few days on the flats a few nights of fishing the Chatham area. I was thrilled to catch a nice bass on a Sedotti Slammer one night. That was my go to cow hunting fly this season. I will be tying up many more this winter. In fact - the night I caught that bass was the same night that the white whale shattered Jeff B's rod after a 2 second fight. It was a good night.

I am looking to hit the southside for hardtails in 2 or 3 weeks and I have vowed to fish hard during the Fall run. When we do converge on the Cape we will most certainly call you - Sir Pete.

See you soon.

-Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.