Lowsy - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2002, 10:56 AM

Lowsy

Is it my immagination or has the fishing been terrible down here in lower CT? Has anyone been doing anything besides snapper blues?

Hey Adrian have you been out in the Hudson River lately? I hear they have been catching some Weakfish and Fluke!!! You heard me correct, Weakfish and Fluke. I drove around the other night and found that there is so much bait ( Spearing, Bunker and Blue Crabs ) that there has to be some evening activity going on. I have talked to some locals and evidently there are fish being caught but its been kept "Top Seceret". Up for a little bay fishing aboard " The Filthy Who*e"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2002, 11:13 AM
Fly chucker

You're right, Mike. CT has been disappointing this summer. The only really good thing to come out of it so far has been the discovery of a few more fishing spots that have been mediocre now, but should be much better during the fall run.

FWIW, I've been heading over to RI and having decent fishing. And none of it has been from a boat.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:44 AM

Lets Hope

Lets just hope that the fall will be a good one. The only saving grace was the Cinder Worm hatch a few weeks back that produced a 22lb Stripe for one lucky guy. I am trying to tap into the summer fishery in the Hudson lately. The biggest striper I ever caught was in August. 36lbs! Unfortunately not on the fly but in a canoe with 12lb test live lining saw bellies. We caught 10 fish that night with the smallest weighing 12lbs. I know the buggers are there but figuring out the code has been tough. I have spent countless summers chasing shadows and rumors out there. I will not let the summer heat beat me down. I will more than likely be out there one night in the very near future looking for those night time flats feeders that are Crab hunting. The sounds of the fish breaking the surface at night sound like boulders hitting the water! I know they are big but the sheer volume of crabs and bait make things very tricky.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:03 PM
Flats Rat

Guys, there is no shortage of fish at this end of Long Island sound!

Catching them is a different story! Forget the daylight hours - as I mentioned before it's a night-time event and even then, breaking the code for fly fishing is tough. Bait and live-line guys are picking up good sized fish every night and spin guys are also doing O.K. in certain locations.

I just wish I had more time - nightime assaults pretty much nix the better part of the following day so I'm stuck to the '0 dark' hours Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun. I'll be out again this week-end and will report results.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:54 PM

Heads Up

Give me a heads up when you are going out. I really need to fire up the boat and run it for a while. It's been sitting idle for 2 weeks!!
Old 08-01-2002, 07:27 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Lowsy

Adrian, et al.

It's worse here in Joisey!

Any chance of hooking up this weekend? I am ready, willing and able to make the drive to CT for a few local pointers and a shot at some fish! No yak yet, but any ground-pounders who want company...

-Doc Duprey
Old 08-02-2002, 02:01 AM
CantAnchorUs

Doc,
Empty your mailbox, I can`t send you a PM and you`ve got no E-mail listed.
Slinger
Old 08-02-2002, 10:22 AM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Lowsy

Mailbox emptied. E-mail should now be active.

Just in case, it's ephemerella@erols.com

Talk to you soon, I hope!

-Doc
Old 08-02-2002, 10:27 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

PM clearing hint:

You often need to expand the date range of your PM inbox using the pulldown. It let's you see messages that have been "turned off" due to age.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:59 AM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

PM Cleaning Hint

Juro,

Many thanks for the hint. It's appreciated.

Best regards,

-Doc
Old 08-02-2002, 11:33 AM
Flats Rat

Doc

Shore access along our coastline (CT/NY) really sux - hence the great/growing interest in Yak fishing in these parts. Even that can get tricky in some places but there are lots of boat ramps which can get you to some great spots.

Yours is the second report I've seen about NJ dying off in the summer whereas only a few years ago you could score well down there at night.

My strategy for this season is to extend my surf fishing by hitting IBSP a few times in Nov/Dec - looks a lot like the Cape outer beaches but two hours closer to home
Old 08-02-2002, 12:17 PM

CT

Keep me posted when anu of you want to try the Norwalk area beaches. They really can be superb especially late August into Oct. After that Get your Yaks in the Hudson and try it. I will say that the way things are going it will be a banner fall! There is pleanty of Flats fishing as well as some deep Flats 5-12 feet deep that produce nicely. The best part is these fish don't see flies too often or people for that matter in the fall. They can be very aggressive almost Pirhanna like. Plus there are pleanty of LARGE fish to keep you interested.

I know I talk about the Hudson alot but it's really an untapped fly fishing destination. I have seen maybe 6 people ever throw a fly in the waters of the Hudson. I would not mind seeing a few more people take advantage of its quality fishing. I will admit that the water is not the cleanest now but in the Spring and Fall the water is perfect for sight fishing. The fishing can be way too easy at times to downright crappy. I will be sure to post when things heat up which should be soon.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:42 PM
Flats Rat

Mike

I am overdue for a return trip to the Hudson for a Yak trip. I hadn't thought of the late season possibilities but it makes a lot of sense.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:15 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Lowsy

Adrian,

Looks like I gotta bite the Yak bullet, and soon.

Good point about IBSP. Just be aware that the surf vehicle crowd can make the ocean side look like a porcupine with beach staked rods everywhere!

Let me know if you want company, though. I'm always up for adventure...or death marches! It's approx. 1.45 hours from my house, so the drive is no problem.

Best regards,

-Doc
Old 08-02-2002, 04:09 PM

Late season

Adrian,

I can honestly say that the fall on the HR can be beyond comprehension. How does 104 striper in 8hrs sound? My personal best was 40 something last Dec. In the spring I have caught 50-80 fish in an afternoon! I am not saying its always great but when it is get your Yak or hop in my boat for some fun. Somedays all you can do is laugh because its a fish on every cast sometimes 2 fish if you are using a teaser.

Let me know when you get the urge to head out this way.

I will be out probably Sunday to the Sound if you are free.

Doc you are welcome to join as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.