Skinny water - Big Fish! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2001, 09:25 PM

Skinny water - Big Fish!

Watched the morning radar loop and timed my noontime arrival at the Chatham lighthouse at the end (hopefully) of the heavy rain and t'storms. Spoke with striblue via cell to find out that there were fish at the Lighthouse on the early AM tide.
Hit the beach and worked down the east side beaches with an occasional schoolie racing to pick up my deep sandeel. About 1:30 I decided to see what was happening on the inside at the 'tub. Nice incoming, very little weed wind at my back and still a little foggy. HMMM, seems perfect.
Waded out within casting distance of a color break (could still see Roop's footprints there from a previous weekend!) from the flats to deeper water and patiently counted down to get that fly near the bottom. Second cast, 28". Fifth cast, 22". Fish moving in all around me, cast to the shore hooked up. Then they dissapear. Back to casting to the color break, a light tap then the line goes very solid. Clear the extra line from the basket and away she goes. Haven't seen that much backing since albie season last year
Nice 43" fish finally gives up the fight to let me unhook it (which in this case means putting my entire fist in it's mouth to reach the fly it "tapped")
Was getting worried that it took about 5 minutes to revive her before it was released. A new personal best for me with the flyrod from either boat or shore.. (and it always amazes me that you can catch fish of this size/class from shore with the flyrod, another preconception shattered!)
Finished up the afternoon by sightcasting to fast-moving fish working along the skinny water further up in the 'tub. Great to watch the shadows turn into the flashes as the fish turned on the bait. Learned a lot about stalking the fish in skinny water and being able to sight them from a distance.
Wrapped up with a trip back over the dunes to the Big Girl, found Juro banging away on school fish in the bowl. We retreated to the point but nothing had turned on by the time I left at 6:45pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2001, 10:21 PM

Bob...You da MAN! (any guess on the tonnage?) 9wt?
I'm kickin' myself for letting the weather scare me off...
Woulda, coulda, shoulda...
You had yourself quite a day!...Thanks for sharing it!
A little inspiration goes a long way...
CHEERS
Old 05-28-2001, 05:58 AM

I've never been good at weight estimates but she was no racer. Since I was using the 8wt and a 10lb tippet I couldn't put the lumber to her and that was probably why it was gassed by the time I unhooked it. No time to take it to shore for a photo op, that fish need to get swimming again and fast.
And we can credit the inspiration to srobbins for the bovine report from his trip Friday!
Old 05-28-2001, 08:25 AM

Bob, congrats! Now, see, I can say "I told you so!"

I may try to get out this afternoon, although it's blowing pretty good here in Brewster.

Have fun. Steve
Old 05-28-2001, 08:27 AM

Great report Bob made me feel like I was fishing next to you. I had a similar experience at the Clave but no hook ups.Flats fishing is the best.
FishHawk
Old 05-28-2001, 09:23 AM
President of CAC

Bob, You fished hard yesterday. What a great and no doubt memorable fish. Congratulations!!! I know now I will see you more often in Chatham and your always welcome at CAC.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:07 AM

Now keep in mind that I'm a die-hard boat dude. This skinny water wading is very kool! I'm hooked!
Old 05-28-2001, 12:59 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Outstanding Bob! Wish I could have been there to see it. Many people I know (back home) would have opted for the photo op. Thanks for doing the right thing. You are the man! I've been a strict boat man my entire life. But this skinny water stuff is a hell of a lot of fun. Congrats!

Jimmy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.