Unusual question for the group: Choice of on-stream soap. - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2002, 06:44 PM

Unusual question for the group: Choice of on-stream soap.

Many have said, 'cleanliness is next to etc.' And we can 'stink' to a fish. Just from our daily doings you get everything from sweat, to aftershave lotion on your hands during the day. You wash, then shake hands with a client ... back to square one?

Question, as silly as it may seem, is there a preference for a on-stream soap (obviously un-perfumed) that you fellows use?
fe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2002, 09:05 PM

If the goal is to get rid of scents, etc why not stick your hands in the mud or sand and "wash" them.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:33 PM

I use a biodegradeable liquid soap in a tube (can't remember the name) that I bought at LL Bean. My only complaint is that it has a tendency to dry the hands. On the other hand (no pun intended) dry hands means less oil, which, I suppose, means less transfer of scent.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:13 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Smoke a cubano, switching hands with each puff, and make sure you dribble a little peat water on the lips and wipe with the hands to keep that downy fresh stuff at bay. Avoid shaking hands with cologned yuppies and bait guys, just say hello from a friendly distance. You know what they say about the female pheromones and fish, but I'm not going there (family program). If all that fails, try campers brown soap.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:19 AM

Hi,
I have in my tackle bag a magic soap. You put a little onto your hands and rub it. It cleans your hands and after a minute thre is nothing left. I dont know how it works but it means you dont have to wash anything off and it kills all germs and leaves your hands clean.
I can't remember off hand what it's called but I can look it up if you want.

Chris
Old 07-26-2002, 05:27 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Purell, I keep mine in the truck and use it for cleaning the hands before driving in the rare event that I clean a fish for the table. It's smell is like isopropyl alcohol and I wouldn't use it between tying flies, personally.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:37 AM
Fluff

A clear biodegradable soap with components like cucumber and anise and stuff like that, marketed by Crabtree and Evelyn under the name of 'Cook's Antibacterial & Deodorizing Hand Wash'. Leaves no scent, washes fish&chicken&meat smell off after handling, etc. Great stuff.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:00 AM
Recent Member

Soap? You use soap on fishing trips? Shoot, my crowd hardly uses it on camping trips! Were I to pick a soap, however, I'd try to find something like the old Octagon soap that had no scent and little lather. In fact,it was almost like using pumice stone. In actuality, I use find sand or sandy silt to clean my nads asteam. (Back n Boy Scouts, they taught us to scour our cooking utensils with it.)
Old 07-26-2002, 10:16 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
that reminds me...

I remember back on a "no impact" camping outing in Boy Scouts about a plant that when used as a lather, worked as an awesome soap. It even bubbled It had these little white pockets of sorts. I wish I could remember the name...

NIck
Old 07-26-2002, 11:16 AM
BB5 Survivor

deet
Old 07-26-2002, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jared
deet
Huh?? I know that the group W bench, as a whole, has a lot of thought provoking commentary on living life to its fullest. But DEET as a cleaner? Thats a first for me.
Old 07-26-2002, 01:35 PM

Great answers all (deet though??) :>)

The 'sand or mud' idea is a good one, but on the top 60 miles of water doubt 1% of the beach is anything but rock and gravel. Majority of the stream flows through solid rock/forests from the top of the river to almost the mouth of the stream. (egro why almost everyone uses studded boot bottoms of some kind or another).

Going to see if I can run down the Evelyn and Crabtree stuff. Sounds like a good product.
fae
Old 07-26-2002, 02:01 PM
Fluff

Pete - that stuff is the B@!!$

I have never enjoyed the luxury of washing my hands of onion smell, fish and chicken slime, whatever, clean with one wash before that stuff. It is 17.00 for the pump bottle, but the refill jug is 20-something...it's well worth it. P.S. - order online at www.crabtree-evelyn.com - sometimes they have online sales, and the stores even have non-advertised sales if you have one near you

Yeah, the bank gravel and sand trick works on pots and pans in the woods, but it doesn't do much for the grease factor left on the pans. Frankly, it becomes a chore to do them up without a lot of wearing your own hands out.

Nick, I can't remember what plant it is either, but I'm working on it...brain death is a terrible thing
Old 07-26-2002, 02:16 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Soap Plant

I think it was this

http://virtual-markets.net/vme/ARNHA/soaproot.html
Old 07-26-2002, 04:06 PM

Man, that's an end all-be all plant!

"Indians had many uses for this plant. The bulb was baked for food, and the coarse fibers were used to make brushes. The crushed bulb made a soapy lather that was used as a shampoo. This same material was used to help catch fish. It was put into low flowing streams where it would get into the gills of fish so they could not breathe. The crushed bulb also made a glue used variously for fletching arrows, putting backings on bows, and making brush handles. The mashed bulb was applied to relieve sores and poison oak rash and to cure rheumatic pains and cramps. In addition to the bulb, very young shoots proved to be a very sweet food when cooked slowly in a pit oven. When still young, the fresh green leaves were sometimes eaten raw. The older leaves were used for wrappong acorn bread during baking. Juice from the leaves was pricked into the skin for green tattoo markings. A similar plant with narrower, somewhat less wavy leaves, is Chlorogalum angustifolium."

Sounds like the only thing the Native American's didn't do with it is ferment it into a beer.
fae

Last edited by fredaevans; 07-26-2002 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.