Deschutes Anyone????? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2002, 07:20 PM

Deschutes Anyone?????

Has anyone been on the Deschutes recently? The counts over Bonneville and The Dalles are awesome, pretty much steady at over 2,000 per day (of course, the counts at John Day are almost as high, as a lot of the run seems to be charging right past the Deschutes).

I'll be there for a few days next week between Max and Moody entering some friends from Narragansett Bay and was looking for some first hand information.

Cheers,

Eric
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2002, 07:22 PM

Unhappy **Gasp**

I know I should proofread my posts more carefully. I meant to say "Entertaining" friends, not "Entering" friends. Like, good grief.

My apologies to all.

Eric
Old 07-24-2002, 10:15 PM

Was at Creekside flyshop today and another customer was discussing his recent trip down to the Deschutes.

He floated from max's canyon to the mouth with no results on hooking any Steelhead. He stated the water to be pretty warm due to the hot conditions.

Just sharing what I heard. Good luck, hope you get one or fifteen.

TerryD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2002, 12:40 AM

Hi Eric, A guide i know has just been on a trip from Mac's to the Mouth and i heard that they hit fish from Dike to Washout rapids. Lower down not one fish and the water was a lot warmer down to the mouth. I fished the mouth last week and did great every day until the water started backing up in to the Deschutes and warming up. tight lines,brian
Old 07-25-2002, 01:08 AM

Eric,

Fish have been taken in the Kloan area recently. Also know of a couple around the mouth. This was about week ago sounds like the temps mights be up however it is always a beautiful place! best of luck.

andre
Old 07-25-2002, 06:25 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I think we should do a forum get-together on the Deschutes. I am out this year due to a family ob. in Bermuda but that shouldn't stop you guyz who can drive there, or maybe next fall...
Old 07-25-2002, 10:08 AM
Recent Member

Deschutes.

Just got home froma 4 day fun trip from Buck Hollow to the mouth. Four very good steelheader and no fish to hand. We did get a few grabs but that is steelheading. As was mentioned, looks like most of the fish in the Columbia are by passing the Deschutes. Water is getting very warm. Expect a real slow down until we get cooler water temps. All the above info is accurate. Glad I don't have any trips booked for steelhead right now.

Cheers,
Dennis
Old 07-25-2002, 04:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
Thumbs down

The Deschutes 1/2 mile above moody today was 71 degrees The main columbia is 68 degrees. I got no grabs and only saw one fish landed. By all accounts fishing has been slow. Unless something changes it is likely to remain slow until the water cools in the fall. There will of course be good days as there always are but as a whole i think the fishing will be poor in the lower end of the river even if there are a lot of fish. If the Deschutes gets any warmer at all people should REALLY!!!!!!!!! consider not fishing it fish caught and released in water over 70d degrees have a much reduces change of survival. Over 75 you can almost guarentee every fish you catch will die. I fished the outhouse run last night and was cut off by no less than 8 other anglers one of which was a spinner fisherman who stepped in 80 feet below me and cast right over my line. Anyone who wants thish fishery can have it I am done with it.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:48 PM

Follow-up Trip Report/Shuttle Recommendation

Hi, All,

The value of this forum and the exchanges of information is directly proportional to its accuracy. And, I'm happy to report that all who posted replies to my original query are dead-on.

The river was very warm (right around 70 in the places we fished), although it was very clear (for the Deschutes, that is) and at excellent height for most of the drifts.

We wanted to put in Sunday, but were told the Access Road to Macks Canyon was closed because of the wildfire between Shearars Falls and Grass Valley. The people I was with had come all the way from Rhode Island and weren't about to be put off by any grass fires, so we loaded up and drove over to Tygh Valley to see for ourselves. Turns out the boys had the fire just about totally out with only a remnant crew at Buck Hollow mopping up. The chief of the crew waved us on through the blocks on the Access Road and told us to have a good trip, everything was under control.

The Macks Canyon Access Road was its usual rig torturing self. I had hoped the road would have been recently graded, as it often is just prior to the heavy use steelhead season in August and September, but no. It's washboard and sharp rocks for the entire 17 miles. Backing the boat into the ramp at Macks, I flattened a tire (great timing, great place, sheesh) and my poor, long-suffering shuttle driver blew another after she had gotten back on the pavement at Shearars Bridge. I think, if I go next week as planned, I'll put in at Pine Tree and avoid twelve miles of tire ruining punishment. Takes just over two hours to row and an hour to drive that distance.

Speaking of long-suffering shuttle drivers, I wanted to put in a good word for the lady we hired. Having someone reliable who has your best interests at heart and will go out of her way to make sure your rig is at the take-out at the time you specify is worth fortunes. Lynda Carder, for that is indeed her name, drove out of the canyon bravely with the spare flat, had the second flat miles from home, but followed through getting both flats fixed and having the rig at the mouth by Wednesday morning. She went above and beyond, and I would certainly recommend her to anyone wishing a shuttle on the lower river. Lynda Carder (aka Wonder Woman) can be reached at 541-298-1578.

Bottom line: fishing was poor. There were two of us fishing and we hooked five fish and landed three for three days of intense fishing (morning from first light through about 10 and evening from dusk to pitch). Certainly comfortable wading, though. We waded wet morning and night -- that shows how warm the water is. Incidently, both fish landed were wild fish. Both were about seven pounds.

End of Report,

Cheers,

Eric

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.