Flies For the clackamas River In oregon - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2002, 01:13 PM
extmtbiker

Lightbulb Flies For the clackamas River In oregon

What flies should I use for the clackamas river in Oregon?
Please tell me so I can catch more fish.

Geoff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2002, 07:42 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Geoff -

I haven't fished the Clackamas R. but I have fished rivers very similar to it in the Columbia system. If you are targeting summer run steelhead, I would start by looking in the steelhead fly archive (steelhead section of FlyTalk). Some of the patterns are winter, but many are summer.

I suppose you are driving yet, but maybe you could join some of the gang in a get-together at the Clackamas someday.

There has been talk of a Deschutes Conclave...
Old 07-14-2002, 09:24 AM

Another good place for info would be Mark Backman's

Fly Fishing Shop, in Welches, OR. Even though the Sandy River is his 'home river,' doubt much swims in other area rivers he doesn't know about. They're a advertiser on the board so even a better place to drop your dimes.

Fred
Old 07-14-2002, 02:26 PM
extmtbiker

Joining the gang

Juro-

Yes I guess sometime I could meet you down on the clackamas, but I cant drive yet since I am 15. I can probably find a way to get there cause my grandpa lives right next to the river.Also thanks for the help on the flies. If you could help on trout flies that would be great.
,Geoff
Old 07-14-2002, 09:42 PM

Geoff, welcome to the world of "Grampa's."

Suspect you've got your self a couple additional 100, or so additoional 'Grand-dads."

You'll do well with us; if you can see yourself to southern Oregon, I'd be pleased to be your guide/mentor for a few day. Your call on the when. Fprgpt tp add: if you've not into Spey Rods, you will be when you leave.

fred/joan
Old 07-15-2002, 11:41 AM
extmtbiker

"Money"

Frefavan, right now dont have any big bucks because I just went on a fishing trip on the east coast. Maybe we can just go fishing together or something.
Geoff
Old 07-15-2002, 12:36 PM
Any Pulls?

When fishing a floating line I like a #4 Muddler or a #2 Green Butt Skunk. When fishing a sink tip line I like a Blue Moon tube fly. The next few months it will be best to fish real early or real late. In Sept. and Oct. it's good all day. Don't be afraid to fish the lower river.....fish come in all the time.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:35 PM

Maybe we can just go fishing together or something.

Mr. G, I'd accept your company on the river as an honor. Anytime.
fae
Old 07-17-2002, 01:08 AM
Any Pulls?

You bet! We missed you at the clave.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
Dave e-mail me sometime soon I know a river with lots of fish in it I need to make up for the few times you wanted to go fishing but I couldn't
Old 07-22-2002, 01:20 PM
extmtbiker

Fredaevans, When do u think we could go and also are you gonna make me pay because if you are I wont be able to go cause I only get 5 bucks a month.
Geoff
Old 07-24-2002, 08:16 PM

What area of the Clackamas are you fishing? I fish fairly often in the spring down by the Winery Hole above the Southern Pacific trestle crossing. I've had consistent luck with purple General Practioners as well as the natural General Practioners.

Early morning fishing seems best down there.

One thing you might do is scope the river during periods of bright sunlight to find out the spots where the steelhead are holding, and then go back after them under low light conditions. Once the recreational float tubers and rafters start, the fishing gets tough.

The Clackamas is a green tinged river, so flies with some green in them should produce. The main problem is finding fish. Once you've done this, experiment with levels (deep sunk, near surface, skating, etc), then colors and sizes of flies. Also, be sure to fish the heavily aerated stretches, particularly if you're fishing far up the river (above North Fork)

Hope this helps,

Eric

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.