Best Local Waters? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2002, 03:37 PM

Best Local Waters?

Hi all,
I am doing a bit of research and would really appreciate any help at all you guys can give me.
Would anyone with a spare couple of minutes please provide me with information on your best local or nearby rivers/streams, along with the area (place and state) that they are in and any useful tips you have.
Many thanks
Chris Cook
Flyfishingguru
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2002, 09:21 PM

Situk River , Yakutat Alaska, USA

Boy Chris you better hurry on this one the Russell Fjoird is pushing a giant wall of glaical morane that is about to divert a full sized glaical river and a goodly amount of saltwater down the Old Situk! This will for all practical purposes bring all the great steelheading and trout fishing that has been so popular with the many Europeans that have been flocking to the Yakutat area the last 15 years to a hasty and sudden END.
But just in case it does not happen all you need to do is fly to Alaska and get to Yakutat there is an airport serviced by major airlines, there are Guides and outfitters that you will find aplenty who will take you to the little Situk and avail you of its prolific runs of King salmon in Summer and Coho in the Fall as well as Steelhead in the Fall, winter (weather permitting ),and spring. There also are beautiful resident rainbows up to 7#. I would be remiss if I failed to mention the sockeyes which on a given year are the thickest of all the runs. But then there are the Dolly Vardens and the Sea Run Cutthroatts too.
The Glaicer at Yakutat is the only one in the world that the talking heads say is growing and its doing so in grand style a shame that this once local fishery that has been set down upon so heavily by guided interest is about to come to an end but maybe the gods are not dead!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2002, 09:01 AM

Will I'll have to put in my .20 cents for the Rogue River

in Southern Oregon. River, from mouth to Dam about 35 miles above Medford is 155 miles long (additional 30-40 miles of trout water above this point. The top 60 miles of river has a considerable amount of 'public access' the rest is easily done via drift boat.

About 30 miles below Grants Pass (30 miles down stream of Medford) you get into the Wild and Scenic portion of the river that is only accessable by raft.

The spring run of King Salmon has been averaging over 33,000 fish by count, the Fall run of Kings is probably a third of this amount. Two major runs of steelhead (and a smaller distinct late summer/early winter fish) and an additional run of thousands of what are called "half pounders" that come up about half way up the river to the town of Agness (Illinois River-think I've blowen the spelling there). The 1/2 pounders are the fish you read about in Zane Gray's books.

Good resident trout fishery in most of the river .... and the best news of all is the entire area has a very low population so fishing pressure (one MAJOR exception to this) is very light. Half the time I'm on the river, I'm surprised to see more than a few people; and they tend to congregate in just a few places. Old adage taught to me by a Canadian Park Ranger was that most people won't go more than 15 minutes walk from their car; better yet, stay in sight of the front bumper. Very true here, e. g. the "congregation spots."

Fishing water varies all over the map so you can fish fast, slow, wide, etc., water, single hander, 2-handers, etc. Best yet, is a considerable amount of 'good water' is within 30 minutes of your front door. Up early, fish till 7:45am at your desk by 8:30am in the summer.

Have copies of a pretty darn accurate map of the upper river; if you'd like a copy shoot me an e mail with your address and I'll post you one.

Oh, how do you get there? Three major airlines service Medford from Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix, Arizona and Los Angles. Landing fleight path goes over the top of some of the best summer run steelhead water (noted above) so look down as you land and drull.
fae
Old 07-23-2002, 09:29 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Chris,

Before I divulge, I am curious about the intent of your "research".

How do you plan to use this information?
Old 07-23-2002, 10:35 AM

Hopefully it will be on a web site I can access and know all of your best spots for my future NA FF trips which will exclude great lake destinations.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:15 AM

productive spots

Commercial fishing regulations require reporting the location of catches, in contrast to your request for information.

Amazingly here in New England there is some remarkably good fishing for cod and other groundfish more than 30 miles inland! (at least according to these reports).
Old 07-23-2002, 08:00 PM
extmtbiker

Hey, I am not sure of any in england but in oregon there are lots like the deschutes river or the crooked river or the metolius. I f u are ever in oregon try those. Sorry I could not help.Yahoo might be able to help you there pretty good with info on fishing places.

Geoff
Old 07-24-2002, 11:00 AM
Recent Member

Local streams reply

I am located in Virginia which has topnotch Smallmouth streams (James, New, Rappahannock, Shenandoah rivers come to mind.) Our striped bass fishery in the Potomac and the rivers mentioned above, as well as the Chesapeake Bay, is great.)
For more Virginia info, post a query on at www.VAflyfish. It is a great site for info on the entire state.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:19 PM

Colston,

Yes I drove through those areas on my return trip from NJ after the DC visit. Went down the Blue Ridge Highway and then cut over through VA to WV. Did look like some nice smallmouth and trout rivers there. Had a van full of family with no fly rods though and no time to stop and fish. Just some quick sight seeing.

Love to get back there some day for some FF.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:35 PM
Recent Member

Sorry you couldn't stop

I didn't mention trout streams because our trout fishery is not in the same league with our smallmouth and striper fisheries. We have a couple of good streams for big browns but generally, our brown and rainbow fishery is all stocker. If you aren't worried about catching wallhangers, we have more than 2000 miles of excellent brook trout water, most of it in state or federal parks or forests.
Come on back sometime.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:49 PM

Usually I don't mind divulging such info unless I'm trying to protect a sensitive fishery, yet my spider-senses say something isn't as it seems here. I, too, am hesitant to provide the info you seek without some sort of clarification as to your purpose. If you want more then you will have to give more.

ws
Old 07-24-2002, 12:54 PM

Exactly Juro.....I was just hinking I get paid $400 a day for that sort of info

John
Old 07-24-2002, 01:59 PM

Yep you won' t get any home water trade secrets from me on the net or email.

Oral only and to only those I trust.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:27 PM

Hi all and many thanks for your reply.
Basically I am attempting (with an emphasis on attempting) to list all the good fishing waters from around the world. I hear sighs of 'you're crazy' and yes, you are right.:eyecrazy:
As I live in England I am kinda stuck as to sourcing information regarding good trout fishing streams, which is why I am appealing to you guys who have some local knowledge. Sorry for the delay in replying to your messages but the time differences makes things kinda hard.
Anyway, I am working on collecting info on rivers in Australia, America, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, UK etc etc at the moment so all info you provide is very much appreciated and important to me.

I hope this goes some way to explaining why I started this thread

Many thanks

Chris Cook
Old 07-24-2002, 04:56 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Question

Actually, it's obvious that you are collecting the info - the question was for what purpose?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.