Fluorocarbon! - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2002, 10:08 PM
Jonesin...

Fluorocarbon!

Does anyone know the difference between Seaguar Fluorocarbon fishing line and Seaguar Fluorocarbon leader material? The leader material appears to be quite a bit more expensive. Don't wan't to waste money on something just because its marketed differently.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2002, 11:11 PM

I think that the line is a mix of mono/flouro. The leader is 100%. I like the seaguar, though it seems stronger than it is rated.
I have benn using P-line flouro and it is very clear(Seaguar seems a little milky in comparison)but is is not as strong.
The Rio Flouro Flex is clear and very strong for it's diameter. It may be the best of all of them.
Old 07-20-2002, 02:36 PM

Eddie:

Smcdermott is pretty well correct on all counts. There are basically 3 types of tippets that we all use, mono, fluro, and copolymer. The basic characteristics of each are as follows:

Nylon Mono: Pluses.....Very subtle, casts better, has a low specific gravity so it floats better with dry flys, has better knot abilities, less expensive, widely available, lower diameter has high breaking strength, has stretch so it absorbs shock better, long term shelf life .......Minuses, has a higher light refractive index (fish can see it), has a low specific gravity so it doesn't sink as fast with nymphs and streamers, is not as abrasive resistant.

Fluorocarbon: Pluses: high specific gravity, low refractive index, very abrasive resistant, very good with nymphs and streamers. .....Minuses: larger diameter, dont use it with drys, costs about 5 times as much, hard to tie a knot that wont slip, dosent stretch so be wary of hard takes, has some real quailty control issues about 5 years ago, rumors that it is affected by UV and has a shelf life.

Copolymer: Has a mono core and a flouro shell on the outside. They have attempted to marry the two substances and get the best of both worlds. The jury is still out on this one as far as I am concerned.

I have been through almost evert one of the flouros over the last 5 years. Thus far Rio gets 2 thumbs up on the copolymer and full flourocarbon as far as I am concerned. They have done a good job with their mixture. As a matter of fact the brown I have over here to the left was caught on Rio 6x flouro.

Segar must use a higher percentage of mixture, maybe even higher quality. But it is stiff so if you kink it, it's done. It has a tendancy to slip the knots. But at least it sinks like a rock and is virtually invisible. 1&7/8ths thumbs up

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2002, 01:08 AM
CantAnchorUs

It`s like comparing apples to oranges. The leader material is a differant formula than the fishing line. The leader is formulated to be stiffer so it can turn over the fly and to be more abbrasion resistant, the fishing line is formulated to be softer for better casting and retrieves.
Slinger
Old 07-21-2002, 01:16 AM
CantAnchorUs

Sean, just my two cents, I`ve tried a bunch and I find the Varivas Super Flouro to be most to my liking. It cost a little more but is rated at a much higer tensile strength per dia. A 60% increase, the 11lb. dia. is now 16lbs. with the super.
Slinger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.