Cost effective tuna rods? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2002, 09:13 AM

Cost effective tuna rods?

Thinking about the Diamondback Backwater #12 as I know how these can really take a beating but it would be a bear to cast.

Need to be able to cast a fly as well as have enough backbone to pull a big fish up from below.

Anyone have any other alternatives that they've used - maybe in a #14?

Thanks,

Roop

Old 07-19-2002, 09:44 AM
Fluff

Price point?

Penn Int'l 13-14 (mine), +/- $300. Used to be some Powell 16's on Sierra Trading Post; maybe still there, $300+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2002, 09:54 AM
Flats Rat

Jeff

I have a 12/13 loomis gl3 mega which I used on a lot of yellowfin up to 20lb. Its also not too bad to cast. I also have the 14wt which I have not yet christened.

Most of the real heavyweights are one piece jobs. Redington used to do one.

Hmmm, thinking of doing a bluefin trip?
Old 07-19-2002, 09:54 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have been eye-balling a 50% off demo Sage 12# and also a 14# at one of our sponsors. If I decide not to pull the trigger on the 14# I will let you know who it is
Old 07-19-2002, 11:02 AM

Roop, you're not fooling anyone with this Tuna talk. We've all read the other thread on landing fish(bass) quickly. I think what you are really looking for is something you can pull a 20lb'r in like a popping plug:hehe:
Old 07-19-2002, 11:04 AM

A 12 weight seems awfully under gunned for Tuna. A twelve is still a casting rod, and for a fight that will be longer than a couple of hours...give me more stick. I have cast the Powell 14 and it casts very nicely. I have a Orvis 14 and it casts OK. too. Fish fights with these rods can be far and few in between.
Having spent a few hours on the wrong end of a twelve weight, I can tell you...don't go to a gun fight with a knife.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:24 PM

Thanks guys.

Eddie, I'm ordering the Powell AXS 8'6" #14 today.

Now to see how my # 10 Tioga holds up!!

Roop
Old 07-19-2002, 12:31 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Is that gonna be used with your 25lb tippet ? I always thought the rod had to match the fly/fish you were fighting. Not the tippet strength. Those bass are really given you a headache, huh?:hehe:

Go get'em this weekend. No fishin for me. I'm hiking to the top of Mount Washington. Or at least that is the goal...

Nick
Old 07-19-2002, 03:51 PM

Roop

You may want to reconsider that Powell. I have been a long time supporter of the brand and sonce it has changed hands I honestly felt the rods have taken a turn for the worst. Poor workmanship and poor customer service. The first day I recieved my new rod from them, LGA908 2 piece, I took it Steelheading and with in 10 minutes I saw the Tip Top go sliding down my fly line! Then I could not get the rod apart, then the guides started to show signd of rust within 2 months. After returning it to them they gave me some cock and bull story how the can't replace it because the rod was discontinued. So it cost me $200 to upgrade to the AXS 908/3. That rod casts like HOT POOP! It flexes in 3 places and for long distance casts its horrific. Short range is actually good but that does not help you when fish are breaking 70ft away. Just giving you a heads up. Friends don't let Friends fish junk!
Old 07-19-2002, 11:01 PM

Mike, I have to disagree. I think that the AXS rods cast much better than the klunky LGA. I think that the AXS is an easy rod to cast long. I only point this out because my experience is so different from yours. This really high lights how personal our prefences are.
As to the poor customer service and quality, I haven't noticed it but I can't refute your experience.How is it that you got the rod from Powell direct?
Old 07-20-2002, 09:35 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Another #14 to seriously consider is the Winston XTR/Boron #14...it is a wonderful rod to cast as it loads quickly at short distances (on a #12 Tarpon....didnt have a #14 demo line) yet can EASILY shoot 70 feet of line.

Plus it is a boron composite rod with tremendous lifting power and is nearly indestructible...it also comes with a fighting butt that easily converts to a gimbal so it locks in to fighting betls very nicely. And since it is a Winston, it is a very purdy rod.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:53 AM

Thanks guys, went with the AXS based on price point ( how expensive of a rod can I afford to blow up?) and Eddie's resommendations. Will try it with various lines when it gets here next week to see how it casts.

But paying $179 for a $500 rod that you may use 1 - 2X a year if lucky, can't be beat.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:58 PM

Roop, that is a great price! So what are your plans with this tool of pain and glory?
It is good to hear that the Winston is finally out. They put alot of work into it. Won't get one for 180 bucks though.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:38 PM
LT 20

tuna on a 10 weight

What do you think would happen if I hooked a tuna on my 10 weight?
Old 07-22-2002, 08:44 PM

Cool

I have watched this thread with interest, before I put my foot in it. The voice of experence. If you intend do do any off shore fishing for tuna & sharks, do not use anything lighter than a 12 weight. What one needs most of all is an anti-reverse reel, or a steel thumb if you intend to use a flyrod, be sure to have a weak link in your leader, and not the tippet, keep at least a three foot section of at least 80 lb mono, then about a 25 lb week-link, then you won't lose everything. In my opinion the reel is the most important piece of equipment. There is not a lot of casting over 30 feet. Put a reel seat on a broomstick. Most flyrods for offshore are under 8 feet. My son carries a 15 weight rod on his boat, has taken blue sharks to about 100 lbs. I have tried to get him to get aboard, but not sucessful. Expenses are very high for an offshore charter. 120 gallons of gas plus,plus,plus. lferaft check is about $600 a year. I wish I was rich enough to take the gang, the time is starting now! This thread should be under Offshore, striper fishing tomorrow at Quonochotaug.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.