CT / Norwalk 7/15 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2002, 09:23 AM

CT / Norwalk 7/15

Took a ride up to the Norwalk Islands last night. I am quite perplexed at the lack of activity around there lately. Seems as if the fish have vanished. I can honestly say so far this is the worst year I have seen in a long while. I did here a report of a Cobia being caught in Long Island sound and saw a picture to prove it. Strange year so far my only hope is that the Fall shapes up nice and brings a large influx of fish, if not us Southern New England guys are screwed. May have to take up trout fishing again ( its so much easier to tie a 3/0 bunker fly than a size 22 midge ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2002, 04:08 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

THanks for the report, may the motherlode hit the shoreline and linger for a dozen tides for you before the summers out!
Old 07-16-2002, 08:06 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Summer time blues...

Not the fish, but the water. Growing up on the door step of the sound, I have seen this happen many times before. The inshore water warms up and the bass tend to hold a little farther out. I've found them along the rocks and reefs in deeper, cooler water. If we get a cool front to move in, one strong enough to cool things down a little, you'll find that some of the bass will move back in. Don't get me wrong. You'll still find some bass in close, but not as many as earlier in the season. Blue fish are around and going strong. That seems to be the best bet as of right now. And you're right. The fall should set up real nice.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:10 PM
Jonesin...

Tough Times...

I have found that the fishing has slowed as well. I have been fishing in the inshore flats in the New London area and still have been finding fish. They have been extremely finicky and fewer in number but it has made for some very exciting sight fishing opportunities close to home. The fish have been in mainly two hours before and after the high when the cooler water floods in.
Tight lines,
Sean
Old 07-17-2002, 04:38 AM

Unhappy

Has anyone tried fishing late at night? Ther might be møre fish around. Not in the cards for me because of work.
Seems as if this lockjaw is spreading . FishHawk
Old 07-17-2002, 07:32 AM
Flats Rat

Night time is the time to be out this time of year. I had planned to get out last week-end but got distracted by yard work . Pity, since it was a good tide and folks who did get had good action.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:05 AM
Just Plain Nuts

When I had my boat, 99% of my fishing was at night /early AM. Now that I'm restricted to shore , the places I used to fish are no longer within reach. Need to get that yak.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:25 AM

Night Bass

I have been out in the boat and from shore late at night / early morning. I did produce a 9lb fish about 2 weeks ago but that was it. Most of the guys I talk to that are fishing the night tides are having some luck but not like years past. I recall for the last two years anyone could walk out on Pennsfield reef at low tide and find themselves in acres of foraging bass. I am talking about fish bumping into your legs and splashing all around. This year has been much slower with fewer bass showing themselves. I may have to experiment with the tides a little. I noticed this year that places that have been historically safe bets on an ebb tide have been producing more on the incoming. For what reason I do not know. It may be possible that due to changes in bottom structure or sand contour that these fish are more comfortable at a different stage of the tide now.I think I will experiment with fishing later or earlier in the tides and see what happens. I am sure the little rascals are around it's just a matter of cracking the code. Puzzling how such a simple animal can elude such smart creatures as our selves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.