Summer pattern? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2002, 02:18 AM
CantAnchorUs

Summer pattern?

Saturday at Barnstable, again. Feel like I`ve been living there. On the water at 4:30, rushed out to Beach Point to try the east bar. Marked plenty of fish but couldn`t find a taker. I`ve been doing realy well there right up till now. Headed out to the pot line, lots of fish there but again no hits. I fished deep with a 10 wt. QD, I fished shallow with my Int., I tried flies I`ve never used before. I`m not used to that smell of skunk, and I can`t even say there weren`t any fish there. The water did look kinda dirty. Maybe tourist season scared em.
Slinger
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2002, 05:52 AM

I know about the skunk. There several explinati°ns but the bottom line is when they want to eat they will. FishHawk
Old 07-15-2002, 08:13 AM

I had success this weekend down the bay from you using a 2" long clouser, # 2 hook, grey/ smoke ultra hair belly topped with silver angel hair, topped with olive ultra hair mixed with olive angel hair.

Worked deep & shallow but, my point is that this is a fly I've never used, I usually go with a deep eel.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:22 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The key is presentation. Those fish could have been had IMHO, and with a variety of flies.

Roop - what fly did you start with, and did you ever need to change?

Monday morning Question: Is an ultrahair clouser like a Bob Clouser's Deep Minnow, but tied with synthetics? Wouldn't that be called an (ultrahair) deep minnow? Why don't we call a deceiver a "Lefty" or a Ray's fly a "Ray"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2002, 12:35 PM

Nope.

Started with a sand colored deep eel as we worked our way thru bait down to BH. No hits runs or errors.

Changed lines & flies, tied that on as I felt it might work better i the dark water there.

I was right. After the 3rd or 4th twinky I did what I've seen you do, changed flies to find something bigger - not hits.

Back to the producer, if it works, don't change it!

I think I tied that fly with the intention of it being a baitfish.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:52 PM
Middle Aged Member

My opinion is that any sandeel type fly on the bottom would have worked for Roop. Jeff just happened to have the Clouser on when he ran into fish. Over the past couple of weeks it seems the trick has been to get one to take and the others then follow. They'ed get real aggressive and competitive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.