Weekend Skunk Still Intact - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2002, 09:53 AM
Middle Aged Member

Weekend Skunk Still Intact

Hit the light this morning for a couple of hours. Heard the obligatiory "shoulda been here last night stories". Place looked fishy, even had birds scooping sandeels, but nary a tug was to be had.

Yaked with Roop and Tod D out to the blue hole yesterday. Didn't bring the QD, thus nada. Jeff and Tod dredged up a few rats. Unfortunately the wind picked up and made the trip back a bit of a pain. Ran outta water on the inside of the shoal and had to drag to the outside. Roop picked up a decent fish sighted in a pool behind a bar and we saw quite a few fish coming onto the shoal with the flood. Bottom line is the fish, including some decent guys are still showing on the outside of the shoal on the flood. Looks like a pick for the summer on the flood, Chatham or elsewhere for other tide stages.
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2002, 10:11 AM

As Fred said, we picked up some rats out of the hole waiting for the flood. Family time constraints as well as the building wind had us head out earlier then I would of liked.

As we crossed a shoal and entered the water, Tod sighted a fish cruising past him, I was lucky enough to just drop my fly in front of him and hook up. In Tod's honor that spot is in mt GPS as "Tod's Bar".

I was sighting pods of four to ten fish so I stayed put as Tod & Fred headed towards shore. Lost track of them, time and tide as all the studying & discussions on flats fishing came together for me.

After landing several over 30" I heard a noise and turned to see my yak getting swamped by a mini rip on the now flooded shoal.
Time to head home... averaged 3.6MPH paddling into the wind & waves.

Working combination was the 325 grain QD, a 4' leader (25# mono) and a #2 ultra hair clouser, olive over white with silver and greeen angle hair mixed in. Casting 4' in front of the fish was more than enough room, dropping it on their head seemed to scare em away...

Great day, fishing, great work out. Maybe we should take a short cut to Tod's bar one night or this week?

Last edited by Roop; 07-14-2002 at 10:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2002, 02:18 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds like you guys found 'em, and at the right cycle. I also love the bayside flats and have put some serious time in there over the years.

On a related note, even though I am working on platinum status on Rip Ryder's frequent flyer program, I find it kind of funny how everyone is so hung up on Monomoy for sight fishing when in many ways the bayside is far and away better as long as you have a way to escape entrapment by the flood (yak, boat, etc). Rumors of the fish leaving the flats after mid-June simply have not been true for the last few years, and if it does happen the Billingsgate shoals fish extremely well for those with boats (similar situation to outer coast off Chatham).

OK sure, Monomoy has a certain legendary appeal and South Beach is much safer for waders on foot - but at the risk of sounding like a broken record the bayside is so under-exploited for a fishery that all things considered, it is as good or better.

Thanks for the report. I am really looking forward to my next bayside outing.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:13 PM
President of CAC

....... ... Fred... I want to get over there... Will try a mid week trip with Penguin...but lets touch base next time your down..let me know when you will be around. Roopster...what are you your plan for the next couple.??
Old 07-14-2002, 07:06 PM
Middle Aged Member

John,
Vacation again? Thought I might see you at the light this morning. I think you ought to get Pete to take you over to those bayside flats, early in the week if possible with the morning lows getting later each day. On the flood fish can be found along the whole shoal. Fishing from Q creek west can be done safely well into the flood, but it can get crowded out there. Kayak allows you to work east of the creek with less summer people milling around. Pete can get to a launch site that works good without fuss and muus we went through yesterday. For me this is about sight fishin on the outside of the shoal. Blue hole, schmool hole - if I want to dredge I'll go to the light, better chance for bigger fish.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FredA
Blue hole, schmool hole - if I want to dredge I'll go to the light, better chance for bigger fish.
Fred, Fred, Fred.... at least it's a way to keep us busy until the real fish show up.

Next time I'll bring my truck & we can do the shortcut launch + plan to be here for the flood!

On second thought, I'm pretty sure any fish that were there have now headed over to Monomoy!!

Don't forget the QD!!!
Old 07-15-2002, 09:03 AM
Here fishy fishy

Knew I should have stayed! Got home late as it was anyway! Nice job Jeffster. As Fred wrote, we marked numerous fish on the way back, but I was more intent on getting home for lunch w/ my boys. Good numbers, and right among bathers, etc. Nice.

I would love to hit an evening this week. Alas, I think I may have to hold off till next Saturday morning to venture back over the bridge.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:12 PM
Middle Aged Member

Actually the Blue hole comment was half in jest (note I said half). This was mostly an exploratory/learning trip for me. From that point it was successful. I've got the drill down fairly well on the western section of the area but I really wanted to get down furthur, where the kayak has some real utility. I found out what it takes to get back when the wind blows out of anything in the clockwise direction from southwest. A spray skirt or maybe an SOT (Hmm...) may be required if you want to paddle back on the outside, and a bilge pump which is next on my list of needs. Otherwise either wait a little longer for the flood to fill in the inside or plan on a little yak dragging. Overall, an interesting morning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.