Monomoy Help! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2002, 04:56 PM

Monomoy Help!

Planning a Monomoy trip (my first!) in a week or so. Planning on taking Rip Ryder out at 8AM, staying until 4PM. Would appreciate any advice as to location for outgoing tide to begining of incoming tide.
Thanks, tight lines,
Dan D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2002, 05:02 PM

Fish can be anywhere - explore
Don't wade deep - knee deep maybe less
Polarized glasses are a must as well as a hat
Sand eels, Sand eels, Sand eels, crab
Clear intermediate line
If you are on South Beach don't forget the surf side!

Gregg
Old 07-14-2002, 04:28 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Dan -

Didn't the 8 mile walk in a Nor'easter do it for ya? Those were some awful big bass you caught on the flats that day even though it took infrared goggles to sight fish then. Things are a bit different now - no trouble seeing them but the way they thumb their snouts at you is a big change. Still there has been at least one or two big flats blondie bass each time I've taken the shuttle over (sometimes several) and there is nothing more satisfying than the hard-to-get ones. Very different, yet still great in it's own way.

Bayside sight fishing may be a better option with prevailing south winds, something to consider.

Let's talk offline about part II,
Juro
Old 07-15-2002, 10:35 AM

Thanks guys for your help. I am planning on heading out Friday AM and will post a report if I have any success!
Old 07-23-2002, 08:58 AM

Angry

Thanks for the advice, guys. Unfortunately, we did not have a good day at Monomoy. Took the first ferry out, but by 9:15 Rip Rider was taking everyone off due to forecasted t-storms.
Storms never came, fished on the beach for awhile, only one small striper, left in disgust by noon. Maybe again in the next couple of weeks. Anyone know of another ferry to the island who is not so cautious?
Old 07-23-2002, 09:43 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Speaking as a fellow angler, I know how frustrating it can be. Speaking as a Monomoy shore guide, I would not recommend going with any Captain who is not as cautious as Capt. Lincoln. His caution has saved a lot more people's hides than they realize.

If you've ever been out on Monomoy in a pea soup fog, or been a mile out standing in the water when lightning suddenly hits the water around you and you are running against the current in thigh deep water toward what you think is solid ground in a howling sideways rain, you would have been happy with the decision. GPS can save your life in a fog but nothing can help you in a lightning storm on the flats.

Besides, if there was a threat of storms you wouldn't have been sight fishing worth a damn, and the blind casting is much better somewhere else anyway.

If you really wanted to fish that water despite the risk my advice would be to go into Chatham, hop on the CAT shuttle and fish the lighthouse beach down onto South beach all the way to the tip if you desire without parking concerns. I wouldn't advise that with a risk of lightning in the air though.

FYI -

The outer beaches were smokin' on Friday. Blitz action from late morning through early afternoon, you had to find an area free of mung but there were huge amounts of bait on the shoreline and hordes of bass on them.

Sorry to hear about the way the day went, better luck next time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.