Maine info, please - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2002, 05:54 AM

Maine info, please

Hi
I am going to be in the Wells beach area July 21-27. I have not seen any reports about the fishing, is it that good. :hehe:
If anybody wants to meet for a few hours shore or yak, let me know.
Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2002, 07:21 AM
Fly chucker

Wells Beach is a good area. Maine is fishing well right now, but those up there in the know are keeping pretty tight-lipped about it. Without giving away any huge secrets, I can tell you that the bigger bass are now into their summer pattern of being off the rock ledges, cliffs, and reefs during the day and in the wash and river mouths during low light. As for bluefish, find the mackeral. If you do, the blues aren't far behind.

Wells is close to several good beaches and rivers of various sizes. In addition to the beach right there, you're not far from Camp Ellis, York Beaches, or Biddeford Pool. Also, the Mousam and Saco Rivers are fairly close by. I'm just scratching the surface here. There's many other options, especially if you have a yak.

Best of luck to you.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Tight lipped?

I have been posting fairly regularly about the Fort Popham area. June was excellent. The early techniques of drifting deep eels and clousers in the current has been slow lately. The last time I went out- with Eddie- we got skunked, Eddie did miss one short striker. I am working out the tactics for this part of the season. When I break the code I'll let it be known. I will say with all of the people, boats , wet bikes, bait slingers and the like night fishing is the best time to be there.
I am not familiar with the southern part of the the coast but I hear tell that the York River is always productive. There were some guys last year that did a float tube thing fairly regularly on it taking the last 2 hours of the falling tide throught slack into the rising and had a ball.
Check in at Eldridge Bros. Fly shop www.eldredgeflyshop.com on RT. 1 in Cape Neddick they are knowledgble and generous with it.

Last edited by Chris; 07-12-2002 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:27 AM
Fly chucker

Chris, when I mentioned that some of the people fishing that area were tight-lipped, I wasn't referring to any of our Forum members. I was talking about some of the locals that either myself or my dad runs into from time to time. Even general info can be like trying to get blood from a stone.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:25 PM

Mark,
No offense taken just a little ribbing. I would check out Eldredge in person on the way by they have always been open with me.
If you're going out on a tip and want some company give me a shout. I should be able to get a 14' tin boat to bomb around in if you get some leads on fish and are interested. Popham is a haul from Wells but if you want to try there I can meet you somewhere one evening. You're call but the offer stands. I'll PM you with some #'s to reach me if you do.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:29 AM
Middle Aged Member

I'll be up that way the weekend of the 27th for the annual gathering of the clan my Maine relatives put on. I try to sneak away for a couple of hours in the am and go to Pine Point which is at the mouth of the Scarborough Marsh. Said relatives bought Saco Bay Tackle this past winter. Young toehead, Lars Sjulander, is running it on a day to day basis. So if your in the area drop in, tell Lars cousin Fred sent you, and ask where they're hitting.

By the way, I did solicit a sponsership when they first took over. I'll get to do a little buttonholing next weekend. While they cater to all types of fishing I believe they specialize in offshore stuff.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:01 PM

Fred, Chris, if you go out, give me a shout!
Old 07-18-2002, 03:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
Maine Regs.????

I'm going to spend a week on a coastal island in late August. what is the slot limit up there? this is a place with no electric so I figure fresh fish will be handy. Tom D
Old 07-18-2002, 09:53 PM

One fish 20-26 OR one 40+, that is a total of one fish per person per day. Nothing eats like a 22" striper. Still haven't cooked my annual stiper for the wife and haven't heard the end of it. Send a PM or a direct e-mail when the date gets closer and maybe we can get together. I've been hitting the reversing falls area of the Sheepscott River-- Lots of fish around- Black Clousers and snake flies early in the morning at night or in times of low light.

Rock drop offs are producing. Find a natural bait trapping stucture- time your cast so your fly gets sucked down along the face of the rocks. This is pretty hairy and you'll need a stronger leader and a safe place to pull your fish up onto- like jetty fishing only trickier footing and fewer people.
The rips around the rocky and earthen hummocks in the flats and side rivers as the tide falls out of the estuaries are one of my favorite places as the heat of the summer sets in. The bass sit behind them and pick off the bait in the eddys that form below them.
Nights on the beaches have been slower- at Popham anyway- but are still giving up fish. Find a rip forming off a point at the mouth of a creek or a sand spit- incoming or outgoing, or a floading hole- floating line + dark flies- make a wake.
Try it all. Each type of place seems to fish entirely different of another.
I usually can get a 14' tin boat- enough room for one additional guy. Give a shout and maybe we can harrass some bass.

Last edited by Chris; 07-18-2002 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:14 PM

thanks Cris

thanks for the offer Chris. I'll be towing my 20ft'er up to Maine so no need to borrow a boat. I'll let you know exactly where we'll be headed after the social director gets mor info. Tom
Old 07-24-2002, 06:52 AM
Middle Aged Member

No serious fishing this weekend but I'll probably get out for an hour or two in the am. Probably head down to Pine Point, which is a quick and easy shot from where I'm staying. It'll be the bottom of the outgoing so I'll get to look a some of the structure by the marsh outlet. Eddie, Chris - whats the typical bait in this area at this point in the season, besides mackral chunks?
Old 07-24-2002, 09:28 AM

I have been seeing the terns feeding on sand eels.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:47 PM

Try juvie herring or pogie (menhaden) imitations. Kettle Cove in Cape Elizabeth can be decent this time of year. From Scarborough follow Rt. 77 toward Portland Head Light, turn right immediately after the ice cream stand- across from the nursery- follow tothe end. Good parking, good structure and a long gravel beach.
Black snake flies at night.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:45 AM

Long Island

we'll be staying at Long Island in Damariscotta Bay between the 10th and 17th. where should I look to fish??? Tom D
Old 08-02-2002, 03:53 PM

Breemen Long Island?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.