Patagonia or Simms?

Marlwalker or Flats Sneaker?

Best place to buy online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2002, 09:06 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I am a HUGE Simms fan, also love Patagonia (have the wading rain jacket). As a firm believer in scuba shoes (with arch supports or good soles, $40) I purchased a pair of flats sneakers ($100) recently on a member testimonial because of the arch support problem. Also trying a pair of NRS Navy Seal neoprene boots ($70) as well, I can always use the extra boots for guiding, etc.

They are excellent and provide the foot support I was looking for, but I would caution that there is no beach shoe that can prevent sand entry without a damn good pair of gaitors. After losing so many, I've come up with a solution: duct tape. I wrap the tops of the gaitors with duct tape (color coordinated even :hehe and that makes a dramatic difference in prevention of loss as well as entry of sand.

Back on topic, the Simms are excellent. You need to be cautious that with whole sizes only you fit them properly to the waders you plan to wear. For instance, with a 9.5-10 foot I needed 11's. actually, I needed 11.5's but they aren't made. 12's were too loose. Thus I have had some heel abrasion, can be quite painful when you make the death marches I make. I think Dr.Scholls may have a gel heel insert for me, trying out the options currently.

If Marlwalkers make half sizes, that would get me to take another look. Kind of doubt it though.

In any case bring the waders and try them on as a set! If you plan to double them up as wet wading shoes, consider the sock thickness (neoprene, etc) you want to use and bring them too.

One last thing - look for non-marking soles so as not to alienate your friends with boats
Old 07-09-2002, 10:15 AM

www.sierratradingpost.com always has wading boots on sale for great prices. last time I checked they had the marlwalker among others. I got 3 30+day seasons out of my last pair of patagonias before they finally blew out. Order 1 to 1.5 sizes larger if you're wearing neoprene as Patagonia uses unisex sizing.

Best of luck,

BigDave
Old 07-09-2002, 11:26 AM
Fluff

Sierra Trading Post only had size 7.5 last catalog I checked.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:18 PM

I'm still pushing those forum fundraiser gift certificates.
cape cod kayak carries NRS and Chota www.capecodkayak.com
Billington sea carries Simms - only $50 in gift certificates left there.
You get 20% off the gift certificates and it helps the forum cover costs. I don't have a page up for cape cod kayak yet but if you're interested just shoot me an e mail.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:31 PM
LBFF Mojo

I use the redington all water boots.

http://redington.com/foot_tackle.html

A little heavier I think than the simms or patagonias but also a little cheaper and bulletproof. They have much better traction than either the patagonias or simms. You will need gators or Juros soon to be patented duct tape system to keep out sand. I drilled 1/2 inch hex screws in the bottom for even better traction on our PNW beaches but am not sure that will be needed for out there.

If you cannot find them cheaper at one of our sponsors they are going for only 50$ on sierratradingpost at the moment in all sizes.

They are defintely worth it at that price.

-sean
Old 07-09-2002, 03:26 PM

www.old-salt.com carries Redington. Hard to beat the price at STP though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.