Chatham Guidance? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2002, 05:48 AM
Recent Member

Question Chatham Guidance?

My buddy and I are looking forward to a Saturday on the flats at Monomy. We are North Shore guys but would appreciate any local suggestions. I am a bit familiar with the area but would really appreciate some tips.
Can we park on the causeway for the ferry to the flats? What time is the earliest we can get out there? What are the stripers taking this time of year in the area. Sand eels, anchovies, bright or darks? Would you suggest the flats or out on southbeach for the fly guys?
I really appreciate your help on this. Hope all is well down south. Things have really qiueted down around the Plum Island/Ipswich Bay area right now.
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2002, 06:20 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hello Squid -

I wonder if those formerly PI fish are tucked up inside Hampton or Pisquataqua? They are in Maine right now for sure. Looking north might be an alternate solution?

In any case, yes you can park at the causeway and take Rip Ryder. I would suggest South Beach over NM for these reasons:

0) If you don't know the lay of the land, you are much better off on SB
1) NM gets crowded with only a few people, SB does not
2) SB lets you fish vastly more area, both inside and outside
3) the outside is loaded with big bass lately and many come to shore
4) you can walk down to the South Beach inlet if you wish
5) you can walk up to Chatham inlet if you wish
6) there as just as many fish, often more

When sight fishing, don't wade deep and don't cast unless you see fish. Those are best done somewhere else and it hurts your chances to catch fish.

There are no shortcuts in flats fishing, unless you hire a guide. You just have to put in time and eventually you will figure out a trick or two. If PI shut down and you are looking down here for action, be aware that sight fishing in July is a difficult yet highly rewarding experience. If you want easier fishing, you should probably be looking north or sticking with fishing the outside beaches on the Cape from south beach to p-town according to my little ditty "early and late, moving water and bait".

If you have a boat, the bayside flats have been fishing great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2002, 09:53 AM
Recent Member

Don't know about Rip Ryder, but the Outermost Harbor shuttles start at 8 AM. I saw tiny sand eels all over the flats at South Beach last week (about 1" long), and a few stripers cruising and looking for them. I was blind casting and missed all 6 stripers that I spotted. Another lesson learned.

For closer place to fish, you might want to check out Halibut Point State Park, if you haven't been there in a while (bring korkers, especially at low tide). Parking lot opens at 8 AM and you usually have the place to yourself for a couple of hours and I've only been skunked there twice in the past 3 years.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:33 AM
President of CAC

The Rip Rider, one of our sponsors, also starts at 8 am.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:02 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

In addition our great friends at Rip Ryder will book special trips to the South Island Rip, donate rides for the Little Brothers on Father's Day, etc. They will do an early bird run with enough riders, special arrangements required.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:27 PM
Recent Member

Thumbs up

Thanks so much. You guys are the best. I plan on heading south for two reasons.....I love the area and I know that there is a whole new "experience out there. I took my first fly lesson in Chatham a few years ago and have always planned to return. Thanks for the help.

All of "our" bass have gone north but I usually rather wait until they move south again to the PI area. I love to move around and try different experiences. It makes the whole flyfishing thing a challenge and great experience. So based on your collective responses, I plan to do a little sight fishing and hope to have a heck of a time, fish or no fish.

Again, thanks for the info and someday our paths will cross. Keep your tip up!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.