CT / Norwalk Report ( for those that care ) - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2002, 10:48 AM

CT / Norwalk Report ( for those that care )

Fished 7/5 from 4am until Noon. Managed a nice 9lb stripe off of Pennsfield Reef on a 275 grain and a baby bunker pattern. 7/8 fished in the Mill Pond around 5am only to be greeted by hungry hordes of sea robins. As ugly and foul as they are I did have fun watching them chase my gurgler. Now for a question out of my frutration! I found a nice pod of bluefish working just off shore and motored ahead of the blitzing school. Most fish were small but some were in the 6-8lb range. With fish busting all around the boat for an hour we could not hook up! What could be the cause? Bluefish will usually hit a coffe can if you threw it in the mix. Very unusual and frustrating. Any ideas on what would cause them to be so picky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2002, 11:00 AM
Flats Rat

I plan to get out there sometime myself this comoing weekend in the yak.

Either a daytime assault on those blues - or a night-time foray into striper territory - maybe both depending on exogenous factors - yard work has been piling up and my wifes has been buying stuff that needs hanging on the wall
Old 07-08-2002, 11:21 AM

Adrian I hear ya. I spent what seemed like a whole day hanging "stuff" on the wall that my wife had collected. It was a good investment though just before the season started. Which reminds me, I'm due for a trip to the cape. I ought to cash in on that one. I'm due for my annual skun...ah I mean pilgrimage to Chatham.

Lefty
Old 07-09-2002, 08:21 AM
Just Plain Nuts

Steelhead,

I've gotten reports of schools of small bunker (1-2 inches) in the area. I've found in the past that if the baby bunker are around, they will eat them and only them. Small baitfish patterns should work best. And if that's not the answer, then I'm just as as you are.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:18 AM

Bunker

Jimmy,

I tossed everything for Tin to Feathers and from Sand Eels to Baby Bunk ( small to large ) and got squat. I wonder if they were not on Crabs or a swarm of Shrimp. Could that be a possibility ?
Old 07-09-2002, 11:51 AM
Fly chucker

Mike- FWIW, I have heard that there's been hordes of small crabs drifting through that area. It's possible that's what they were on.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:00 PM

I saw some

I did see a few of those. They were about the size of a nickle. Though I did not see them present during the blitz. Could have been sub-surface. But I could see a few feet down and I could not distinguish any particular bait.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.