Chatham 7/4 - 7/5 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2002, 08:22 AM

Smile Chatham 7/4 - 7/5

Managed to make the 8am pickup to fish the island on Thursday morning. To my surprise, there were only 4 people on the boat: the proprietor of a well-known Worcester tackle store + friend, a new friend who I would spend the next 2 days on the flats with, and myself.

Conditions were Ideal on Thursday with light wind and excellent visibility. NO ONE AROUND. Lots of fish spotted during the first 3 hours of outgoing tide. Landed 4 between us one of which was pushing 35-40". A very dark fish covered with sea lice that make a couple of trips into my backing before coming to hand. Next time I'll bring my camera.

Did not spot nearly as many fish on Friday. It was windy but there was a parade of boat traffic running non-stop. Plenty of birds and bait but there were just not as many fish in the areas I was fishing. Did manage to fool one sub-legal but could not get the larger fish to follow even the tiniest patterns. They must have been hungover from the 4th!

BigDave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2002, 09:04 AM
President of CAC

Dave... I will be around this weekend and after I do my usual light house march.. I will be headfing over to North M. let me know if you will be around. (I will bring the camera)
Old 07-08-2002, 10:47 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That explains your absence on Friday!

As many know, there are lots of good fish on the outside. Sand eels out there are large and almost too much for terns to swallow, blackbacked gulls are eating them as well where the big bass bust on them and stun them. The back beaches should get red hot wherever and whenever the bait comes to shore. I wanna be at the exact bowl when a big push comes onto the beach

I am hoping these fish make a push into the inlets soon, sure makes it possible for shore guys to score big. Some recent signs would indicate they are making nightly pushes to feed.

Lots going on right now beyond the flats!
Old 07-08-2002, 11:22 AM

Striblue - If I get the green light from my social coordinator, I'd love to meet up this weekend. Will let you know if I can make it down for a day at least.

Juro - I hope you weren't expecting me. I posted before leaving work on Wednesday, searching for direction, but at that point the trip seemed kind of up in the air. After 2pm I was on the road and had no way of contacting you guys

Looks like you both had a great time anyway and I'll look forward to hooking up for RT2.

Take it easy,

Dave
Old 07-11-2002, 02:27 PM

Thumbs up

Striblue,

I have officially recieved clearance for a Saturday excursion. I'll be leaving Beantown early Saturday to catch the 8am shuttle. Still want to try and hook up?

Feel free to PM if you prefer...

Dave
Old 07-11-2002, 03:07 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
I'll be around the area as well on Saturday, hopefully with some newbies in tow.

nick
Old 07-11-2002, 03:21 PM
President of CAC

On Saturday I will be at the light House at 5 am ,...but I have to be back to my house around 8 to drive son #2 to work at the Chatham Rec..... after that I may pick up the next shuttle...let Keith know where you are going...SB or NM. I will follow you out. I usually will fish the ocean side of South Beach from 5 to 7:30
Old 07-11-2002, 03:42 PM

Good deal.

Has anyone fished SB west side flats this week? Wondering if that is the better call considering weekend crowds, early PM flood etc...the esteemed residents of NM were very picky last wknd.

I'll be the tall dude sporting a black Sims cap.

Hope to see you there,

Dave
Old 07-13-2002, 07:19 PM

Dave -

As you know didn't read this thread (offline for DAYS!)

Would not have been a good job of giving advice; we absolutely hammered them on Friday but then the next day (Saturday) it was s-l-o-w as mollases. JimW did get a nice sight-caught keeper blondie and Penguin pulled a magic trick cow that ate his thumb - but you were there for that!
Old 07-14-2002, 01:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
Post hmmmm

Guess they were somewhere else.... damn, shoulda gone out... Tom D
Old 07-15-2002, 07:33 AM

Juro -

Hey, that's OK! Still had fun seeing John, Jim W, Pete and youself and enjoying a WINDY day on the water.

It's funny - couldn't get them to follow my size 6 micro-eel but as soon as I switched up to that supersize clouser - BANG! As they say - rules were meant to be broken

I have been trying to imitate your deep eel pattern ever since I lost the one you gave to me at North. Been using Puglisi's EZ Fibre but the stuff loves to tangle in itself. Can you make a reccomendation for materials here - or possibly post a pic to use as reference?

Good seeing you. Will be out again next Saturday - Wednesday.

Dave
Old 07-16-2002, 04:17 PM

Dave -

Just go with ultrahair. The other stuff is good for hi/ties but not for long free-flowing flies.

Recipes are in the archives, you might have to change the settings for message age to get them to show up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.