Power Pro for flyline backing - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2002, 08:19 PM

Question Power Pro for flyline backing

I am considering using Power Pro for flyline backing but can't make up my mind what size to get.The most I really need is 30-50lbs but the PP website lists the diameter of those lines as being under that of 12lbs mono.That seems awfully small diameter and I am concerned with binding problems,especially if I should forget to wind it in under pressure.Thin line is also more difficult to handle for me.Although I do not need the extra strength,I was considering using a heavier PP line.I thought if I moved up to 65 or 80lbs then the larger diameter would help prevent binding and would be a little easier to handle.The Power Pro website lists the 65lbs at 16lbs diameter and the 80lbs at 18lbs diameter.Even the 80lbs would still be considerably thinner than regular 30lbs dacron and would still allow me much more backing on my reels.Basically I have 2 reels(Redington AS 7/8 and 11/12) to use.One will have a 8wt multi tip line,the other will have a midspey type spey line.The heavier reel may eventually be used in warm saltwater situations as well.My goal is to have at least 200yards of at least 30lbs on the 7/8 and at least 250-300 on the 11/12 with a speyline(that way there would still be plenty of backing for me to switch from a spey line to heavier saltwater).I just did my dad's 7/8 with a 7wt multi tip.It took the line plus around 200yards of regular 30lbs dacron.The 8wt line will eat up a bit more of the backing so I'm probably going to use a GSB.Most of the GSB I've seen is the Cortland Micronite 30lbs and is too thin for my liking.I haven't seen the 50lbs in this brand.I've heard good things about the Power Pro and like what I hear regarding the low memory and slick coating.Has anyone else used this for backing?What size would you recommend?I haven't been able to get throught to the Power Pro website to ask them what size they would recommend yet.Does my way of thinking make sense(going with say 65lbs PP) or should I go with the 50lbs even though it's thinner than I like?Any input on this line or other types of GSB people have used would be appreciated.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2002, 09:17 PM
Jonesin...

Tony,

I have 65lb power pro on both my reels. I was able to fit 225yds plus a 120ft 8wt line on my Bauer M4 which I think is a similar sized reel to the 7/8. I am new at this but have not had any problems with binding and the line is thick enough that it doesn't cut when retrieving.

Hope this was helpful.

Sean
Old 09-02-2002, 05:39 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

I have been looking for a supplier for this as well. I found one Web site listed on the search engines as unresponsive. I found this URL with information about it, don't know if they have already been approached to sponser FFF.
"http://www.snlcorp.com/powerpro.htm"

I think Blue Northern in Ayer, MA will be carrying soon as they were very interested in it after I asked for it and told them about it.

Greg.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:00 PM

I know the Bear's den has it in bulk, Scott puts it on his tuna rigs. Old salt might have it too. I was thinking about putting it on a Cabelas large arbor that only held 120yds of 20lb backing, I lucked into a big lamson so capacity was no longer an issue. Since the gel spun stuff can give you a nasty slice putting a tag between the fly line and the power pro isn't a bad idea. The flag is just 20yds or so of bright colored backing. When you see orange get your hand out of the way. Give either shop a call.
Bear's Den forum fundraiser

Old Salt forum fundraiser

Old salt

Bear's den
Old 09-02-2002, 06:26 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Jim - I'll have to get down there and pick some up. Now that I v'e beefed up my leaders and cranked down the drag abit I'm not sure which one might go first at times the leader or the backing.
All though I once heard 9wt Scientific anglers striper lines broke around 25-27lb pull, not sure what they are rated and actually tested for though. I'll have to see now, I 'd like the tippet to remain the weak link.

It sounds like good stuff to use and if you go for the larger pound strength to get to an equivelant diameter it might not be as saw like. I like the idea of the tag or marker for alittle warning to get you fingers off the line, good idea.

Looking forward to the Hardtail Clave.

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:30 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Greg,
I have a Redington 7/8 as well and I rigged it up with Spiderwire braid for backing so that I could get more line on it. I went with the 50 lb. test 10 lb. diameter stuff and was able to get 200 yds. on the reel plus a 9 wt. clear int. WF flyline. I am not convinced yet that we really need to have all that much backing on the reel. I have yet to catch a tunoid that has gotten me more than 1/4 into the backing and Bass and Blues are really a non-issue when it comes to backing. I put 200 yds. on to be safe but might consider in the future not putting so much on. Plus the braided lines are very expensive.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:08 AM

Guys,

What have you had on an 8 or 9 weight fly rod that would run 200 yards?

Biggest fish I've had on my reels has been a large tarpon that didn't run farther than 50 - 70 yards.

I have over 200 yards 30# dacron on all my Tioga reels and 300+ yards 30# dacron on the Fin Nor I have rigged for BFT.

The only advantage I see if a fish is going to take that much line is that the smaller diameter will reduce the drag of the backing through the water.... making it easier on the fish as he continues swimming after he spools you

Roop
Old 09-03-2002, 09:07 AM
CND The Spey Underground

Guys,

A post on one of the salmon/steelhead boards had a great suggestion re super braid backing. He puts 100yds of 30lb dacron next to his flyline then he fills the rest of the spool with the spectra. He claims that most fish never get past the 100yds and therefore he is dealing with the much more user-friendly dacron, yet should a super-fish get way into him he has the spectra backing him up. I think I will try this.

Still Living Large!
Old 09-03-2002, 02:19 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Good point Roop. Not enough big fish perhaps to warrant the change over for some.

But I can think of a few good reasons to consider it.

Some of our rods get around! (What's the flight attendants E-mail Fred?) :hehe:

At another FFF event Kenny Abrahms asked me "why don't I stress that very expensive fly gear alittle". After a great critique on my 9Wt set-up, I'm taking his advise. I can use a 30+lb tippet and not worry about it with something stronger than 30lb backing. Or it could be alittle extra insurance when the backing is dragged accross a barnicle encrusted rock, Mussel or clam bed, rock shelf, dock or bridge piling etc...

I have to admit the 30Lb backing works and it takes some big fish now to even see the backing. That 40Lb King Salmon I'm holding in the picture on the left in a strong alaskan river current with my old sized leader and drag settings would go 200 yards if not spool me. The many big bonefish or giant trevally I lost in Christmas Island, Barracuda or the surprising 8ft shark taking you fly right in front of you 40ft off the shore in Boca Grande.

Unfortunately I don't catch as many of the bigger fish I hook as I would like, But do find some once in a while, even if it is an accident. It would really be nice to be able to land some of these bigger fish, frankly I'd have a much better shot at it with these recent gear adjustments.

I also don't have the cash to get and set-up a 12-14wt outfit right now. I expect I could probably now deal with a 30-40lb BFT with my nine weight and land it, were it would have broke me off or spooled me easily before. Maybe I'd just endup breaking the rod and testing out my lifetime warranty. I certainly like to try anyway.

Sometimes depending where and what your fishing for, you never no what you hook up with till you get a look at it.

That's the difference to me.

Greg.

Last edited by GregD; 09-03-2002 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:45 PM

Greg,

I have become a fan of the heavy leader. My fishing time is too infrequent these days to give any of the fish I hook the upper hand - I like 40# fluoro on my spin rod & 25# on my fly rods for blind casting - 12# fluoro for sight casting.

Conversely, as I've mentioned numerous times, I landed a nice 12# anchor, chain & full line on a 10 or 12# leader...

To clarify the big fish issue, my leader set up for BFT has a 25# section in there for a "class" tippet to make sure I break the leader before I lose my fly line. If I could guarntee that the only BFT I'd get to cast to were 30 - 40# schoolies then I'd stick with my 10 weight. Unfortunately, the only BFT I've seen were in excess of 100#.

I hear you on the budget thing as well, that's why I stay with the dacron. Plus I bought the tuna rod for 1/4 the original cost & the Fin Nor #5 is a loaner

You're welcom to borrow the #14 rod any time, (it will throw a 325 grain just fine) and test the capacity of your reel but I can;t loan out the big shiny Fin Nor since it's on loan to me.

I think everyone should buy a Tioga (or Ross) and know they can fit at least 200 yards in their reel.

Roop
Old 09-03-2002, 04:02 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Roop - Yea, I like the heavy leaders now too, it requires me to change things around alittle.

I hear you about using a 10wt only if you knew that you would only hook a 30LB BFT. Just like to get the most out of what gear I have right now.

I too have made mine class tippets #25 presently 5 lbs below my backing rating of 30lb.

Appreciate the offer on the 14wt rod, perhaps we could get out sometime a chase some BFT or YFT. I have been looking for a good day to get out to the southwest ledge of Block Island before the tuna go south. I do have a couple of big salt water sticks one with a 9/0 penn. Couple tuna baskets too, But haven't picked up a bluefin permit for this boat yet. Partially because I figured I wouldn't get out for them being smaller than the last.

Thanks,
Greg.

Last edited by GregD; 09-03-2002 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-03-2002, 06:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
FWIW I went with the 65 PowerPro on my light tuna rod, which is a 12-weight with Fin Nor # 3. With only 30' of LC 13 mated to 20' of intermediate running line, I was just able to cram 300yds on the # 3. I would rather have a # 4 on this rig, but I got the reel in a trade.

I went with the 65 because it felt more like regular backing in the hand and didn't look like it would cut into itself too easily.

I'm hoping that 300 yds on a 12-weight is enough for BFT to 40lbs, but if not, then I will go to thinner backing.

I would be interested in hearing what happens when you guys hook those 40lb BFT on the 9 & 10-weights.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:45 AM
Fluff

Just a thought to go along with Jim's idea of flagging the backing. Instead of knotting a colored warning tag into the system, why not thread a section of colored dacron over the last X yards and whip it at the ends with floss - sound too much like a pain in the ass? - opinions please.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:25 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Well I already see some evidence that suggest to me it will handle a 30-40Lb BFT and possibly larger.

Both Mike M and Roop haven't used more than 50-70 yards of backing on a large tarpon or tuna.

I would assume Mike's Tuna's were around 10Lbs for the sake of discussion. Using the eutopian
estimate process, If we simply figure 50 yards per 10Lbs of tuna, Then an estimate 200 yards
are required for a 40Lb tuna at that drag setting.

Since I have about 375 yards of 30LB micron 20Lb dia backing on my 11/12 Spey Lampson LP5 that I use on my 9 wt rod, I should have plenty to spare provided I had the same drag settings.

I pretty much never touch the backing come to think of it. If I used the 50LB Spiderwire like
Mike at 10Lb dia I should be able to get a whopping 700 yards on my reel. Although that does
sound thin, binding could be an issue.

2HandTheSalt - I think your pretty safe at 300Yards with the right set-up for a 30-40LB BFT.

Mike mentioned actually removing some backing, if you have a standard small diameter spool you can lose the large arbor effect by not having your spool filled. It will take abit longer to reel in your line in with the small diameter spool if you remove alot.

My biggest problem once hooking a Tuna or Bonefish was the initial surge popping leaders. Once you get the drag set right, You should hopefully have adequate capacity at 300yards for a 30-40LB BFT with the right set-up.

I will say I noticed the increase in wrist pressure and fighting butt pressure. I Sure would
like a 2 hander for some lifting power and increased casting distance. It will have to wait
though till I have some cash to build or buy one.

DFix - Bright Water proof markers seem like a better option, no knots or changes in dia.

Greg.

Last edited by GregD; 09-04-2002 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DFix
Just a thought to go along with Jim's idea of flagging the backing. Instead of knotting a colored warning tag into the system, why not thread a section of colored dacron over the last X yards and whip it at the ends with floss - sound too much like a pain in the ass? - opinions please.
Actually Dave, your on target. Smitty STRONGLY suggested I rig some hi-vis mono between the fly line & dacron: decreased drag & some additional stretch... I think we put in around 100' of 50#.

Jay - I'd love to see that #3, I'm using a #5 - it's HUGE with all the backing & fly line there's still around an inch of space to the rim of the spool.

Unfortunately, my tuna season is most probably over...

There's always next year - stand up gear & nice chum slick are in the plans!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.