Field & Stream - July FF article - Trout Senses - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2002, 12:19 PM

Field & Stream - July FF article - Trout Senses

Article in this month's edition, by Dave Hughes, which talks about a trouts senses, especially their acute sense of smell, can detect parts per millions. Same would apply to salmon and steelhead for sure.

Several interesting points:

1. If wading wet always wade upstream.

2. Wash your hands before you tie flies and before you fish.

3. Keep your waders and wading boots clean. (I guess that means the insides also ?)

What do you think of these ?

Also there is a good picture from the BC - Vedder River hatchery showing all of the lures, hooks, etc. the hatchery workers removed from returning salmon and steelhead. Muskie lures, salt water hooks that must have been 8/0 +, every other type of spoon, spinner, plastic worm, drift bait, etc. but not many flys though, yes there was even some float indicators.

They called it "Running The Gauntlet", saying it is a miracle these fish make it back at all to hatchery considering all of the natural and man made risks they must survive through to return to their birth location in the rivers.

It is a miracle when you think about all of the risks they must survive through to make it back from the ocean. Less risks to the fish here in the great lakes, probably why our returns are usually good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2002, 03:52 PM

Can fish smell?

When I was a kid I was taught that a dog can smell a 1000 times better than a man, and a fish can smell a 1000 times better than a dog. I used to really worry about that for a long time. At least until I realised that a trout will take a fly sprayed down with WD-40. I do notice that a fly usually works better ater it has been fished a little while or has caught it's first fish. I have started pressing them into the mud first and then washing them off. That seems to do the trick quite nicely. If I am going after a particuarly nice fish I'll try to catch a small one with the fly before I make my first cast at the target fish.

John
Old 07-05-2002, 11:01 PM

Lightbulb

"I do notice that a fly usually works better after it has been fished a little while or has caught it's first fish. I have started pressing them into the mud first and then washing them off. That seems to do the trick quite nicely".
Hey John, i remember being showed that trick when i was about 11 years old on my local river back in Wales, man that brings back some good memories,tight lines,brian
Old 07-06-2002, 07:54 AM

"WD," noted your comment on 'from Wales.'

The 'original' Evans family was from the that area and (even if I'm not into family trees) I've hit a wall in finding anything historical about the name from 'over there.' Do you know of any web sites that are based in greater Great Britain.

Forgot to add: And how did a nice Welsh boy like you end up wandering the banks of rivers in Northern Oregon?
fe

Last edited by fredaevans; 07-06-2002 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:32 AM

I have also noticed that a fly appears to work better after it has caught a fish or two. As for rubbing them in mud or gravel will have to try that a regular basis, perhaps this is a potential new product for FF ? A small box or bottle filled with mud/gravel that could easily be moistened by placing it peridodically in the water.

Question what do you when winter steelheading and it freezes ?

One does not want to continually walk over to bank and find the perfect mud/gravel to rub your fly into.

Has any one thought of this product yet ?

Note: On a famous michigan ff only no kill stretch they recently placed a new rule that you cannot have any type of scent on you nor place it on your flies.
Old 07-06-2002, 01:22 PM

I was readind a article on fly fishing but I don't remember where or when. Whoever wrote the article, they mentioned using mud to rub on their leaders to cut out it's glare. Whatever it was they mentioned that they carried around their own brand of mud or that they bought it over the counter.

Sorry I could not make this any clearer,but I think that this is a muddy issue. Jim
Old 07-06-2002, 07:41 PM

Whisky Dick:

I wonder do you still keep up with any of the fly fishers in Wales. I have several friends there from some of the competitions I have fished. Edgar George and I fished the same lake beat at the World Championships last year in Lyscele Sweden. Moc Morgan ran an event on the River Dee an Lynn Brenig several years ago for a team I Captained. I think it was the first and only fly fishing Medals the US has ever won. One of my friends has now moved to the White River from Wales, Davy Wotton. Just curious if you still keep up with any of those guys from the home country?

John
Old 07-10-2002, 08:26 AM

Old Man

Yes I have heard of the mud technique for leaders and flies, also heard a tip from Lefty Kreh who presoaks his flies. Must carry them in a plastic bag or container, suppose maybe the most likely flies that he will use that day.

I wonder how many people scent their flies with some secret potions? I have fooled around with this, hard to tell if it made any difference though. Maybe my natural body scents are fish appealing ? I have a friend who I swear has fish appealing body scent. He always out fished us, using the same technique, lure, locations, etc... Glad he is not on my waters any more.

They just changed the rules on my favorite rivers fly fishing section to "No scents on any flies, nor can they be carried on you while on the river". I wonder how many other rivers have that rule in their laws ? Don't think that was in the new North Umpqua fly fishing rules either.

PM

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 07-10-2002 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:27 AM

Hal:

One of my buddies said that my waders are so nasty I should be ticketed for "chumming". I also wear some sort of glove every time I fish. The only wash these gloves ever get are when I will rub them on the rocks in the stream bed after I "have" to touch a fish for a picture or otherwise.

Needless to say when I go to pick up my old Jeep from the airport, there are usually a bunch of alley cats sitting on the roof.

John
Old 07-10-2002, 11:35 AM

John,

Your my type of fly fishing partner. I never wash anything other
than what the river does. My vest has never been washed in 21 years other than what the cold michigan snow, sleet, hail, and rain has managed to perform when winter steelheading.

Same for old ragg wool steelhead fishing sweater, then my wife through it out with out asking me since it had a couple of holes in it from all the casting. Boy way I mad. Now working on breaking in other ragg wool sweater, but just not the same.

Hal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.