Summer run tactics - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2002, 05:14 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Summer run tactics

No need to reveal locations, counties, states - just thought it would be interesting to discuss some of the more unusual tactics you've have work for you this time of year, July. Fresh mint bright summer fish in the rivers yet not in their generous fall mood quite yet.

One I remember working very well for me:

Gurgling muddlers in the rapids in long stretches where fish are moving or holding, headwaters. By showing up at the crack of dawn, tying when there is almost not enough light, and short-lining muddlers in the wakes of boulders in a riffly summer run stretch, letting them wiggle around on the surface over the tops of rocks, slots and edges, working an easy roll casting length to cover pockets, stepping carefully and quietly down, flip, gurgle - BANG! Works like crazy, but only for about 2 hours at dawn or dusk. Try it mid-day and you're wasting your time until September.

Nothing like a bright summer run missle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2002, 07:39 PM

BIG SMELT STYLE STREAMER PATTERNS - STRIPPED FAST - (DON'T HOLD ON TO THE FLY LINE TOO TIGHT ! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2002, 07:44 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
I have a few

I tie up a fly that's almost what you'd call a bass fly. I will actually use some mono to put a hook guard so that while I cast the fly won't snag on my method. I tie up a mouse pattern. Just stacked deer hair. I don't go overly fancy with eyes and ears. But put a zonker tail (short hair, will even trim so not TOO bulky) and trim up body just enough to give some outline, but not too small. I'll actually toss the fly across the hole (over a decent holding water) and try to get it to land on the other bank. Then I'll slow strip the fly to drop onto the water. Then once it plops, will twitch it. The steelhead will actually come up and slash the fly. I also will tie up some in black and hit in early mornings and late evenings. Don't ask me why, but it seems the darker color works best in low light. It's a fun technique. I discovered this back in my "bait trout fishing" days. Dad and I watched steelhead swallow a mouse that had fallen into the water.

Another bass fly I guess. I tie up a crawfish pattern. Not a GP, nor a shrimp, but a more flare of a sandshrimp. Some ringneck pheasent feathers for the claws, some lead eyes (for weight), and some chenille (usually in brown, since most crawdads are brown in my area). I like to weigh the fly a bit so it'll sink to bottom where crawdads are, I will tie on a long leader. Will cast this baby WAY up stream so gives fly a chance to sink. I also tie this fly UPSIDE DOWN with a turned down eye hook. Once I get fly bouncing on bottom, I'll strip extra fly line in a bit, then do a yank here and there. Usually I'll get a "tap tap" on end of line and set hook. The hit usually always on the pull (I assume as if a fleeing crawdad). I know some wouldn't consider this fly fishing. But has worked quite well. And I don't use a SI either. I use straight floating line. I could unweight and use sinktip, but works better in my method.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.