A Fishing Report: P.i. 7/2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2002, 11:57 AM

A Fishing Report: P.i. 7/2

Picture this: Joppa flats, 10 boats, all flycasters aboard, flailing for hours, fish everywhere, nobody hooking up. That's what we have this week at P.I. I was a guest aboard Doug B.' new craft today, what a beautiful boat Doug, thanks. Everytime you move the boat to set up another drift you spook tons of fish. 1 out of every 10 casts spooks a 10 square yard size school hanging on the surface in 6 feet of water. We were dredging up some good fish with herring flies for a while over the last few weeks but now, alas, spring is over. There are lots of factors causing the nervousness. I think it's mainly fishihg pressure and boat traffic (and some guy scared them all with a big fat sluggo yesterday )
We did manage to find a few hungry schoolies down river to redeem ourselves. In fact, a low 20s fish exploded on my Olive over clouser and came out of the water like a tiger. Amazing how some of those smaller fish can fight. I also hit the same thing 2 days before with Grego on my boat. Same scene.
Time to change gears, move on. I'm thinking Cape Ann or some flats above.

Lefty

ps. OK, I want posts from Chatham on the 2 schoolie days too.

Last edited by Lefty; 07-02-2002 at 12:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2002, 06:04 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Lefty,

Just read an interesting article in On the Water about Devereaux beach by revere. Supposedly good fishing can be had before or after the people come. Sounds like a great beach for the evening bite. If you want to give it a try sometime let me know. Might find some nice fish there.

Greg.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:00 PM

Greg,
That would be Devereaux beach in Marblehead. Not bad fishing. I'll be getting there at some point this fall especially.

Lefty
Old 07-02-2002, 08:31 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

It's closer to marblehead then, well I'll have to get the map out and see just where it is. Sounded like it could be a decent change of venue from the Merrimack. Perhaps alittle less company out on the water, although after that article on it who knows.

Greg.
Old 07-03-2002, 05:02 AM

Talking

Know what you mean by the nervous fish. Two weeks ago I was on*Joppa with the yak. Huge pods of very nervous fish couldn't figure out what athey wanted. You didn't happen to see that small tin boat with six anglers all trying to flyfish. Looked like a mini charter. FishHawk
Old 07-03-2002, 08:30 AM
Fluff

GregD

Devereux Beach is in Marblehead, on the way to Marblehead Neck. 'Can be', with appropriate cautionary statements included, a fantastic night of fishing - sometimes it's a bust to all but plug flingers or boat guys. At times the fish will swim into you as they chase bait, sometimes you need to get up tight to the rocks on the east end of the beach and cast right on the rocks. Regardless of success, it's never a bad night while fishing there.

p.s. - for the length of beach, I wouldn't worry about having too little room, unless everybody's bunched up at one end or the other. Most of the beach can be prospected in one tide by a mobile fishing person.

Last edited by DFix; 07-03-2002 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.