Fly Fishing Forum banner

A Fishing Report: P.i. 7/2

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 · (Edited)
Picture this: Joppa flats, 10 boats, all flycasters aboard, flailing for hours, fish everywhere, nobody hooking up. That's what we have this week at P.I. I was a guest aboard Doug B.' new craft today, what a beautiful boat Doug, thanks. Everytime you move the boat to set up another drift you spook tons of fish. 1 out of every 10 casts spooks a 10 square yard size school hanging on the surface in 6 feet of water. We were dredging up some good fish with herring flies for a while over the last few weeks but now, alas, spring is over. There are lots of factors causing the nervousness. I think it's mainly fishihg pressure and boat traffic (and some guy scared them all with a big fat sluggo yesterday:razz: )
We did manage to find a few hungry schoolies down river to redeem ourselves. In fact, a low 20s fish exploded on my Olive over clouser and came out of the water like a tiger. Amazing how some of those smaller fish can fight. I also hit the same thing 2 days before with Grego on my boat. Same scene.
Time to change gears, move on. I'm thinking Cape Ann or some flats above.

Lefty

ps. OK, I want posts from Chatham on the 2 schoolie days too. :D

#2 ·
Lefty,

Just read an interesting article in On the Water about Devereaux beach by revere. Supposedly good fishing can be had before or after the people come. Sounds like a great beach for the evening bite. If you want to give it a try sometime let me know. Might find some nice fish there. ;)

Greg.

#4 ·
It's closer to marblehead then, well I'll have to get the map out and see just where it is. Sounded like it could be a decent change of venue from the Merrimack. Perhaps alittle less company out on the water, although after that article on it who knows.

Greg.

#5 ·
Know what you mean by the nervous fish. Two weeks ago I was on Joppa with the yak. Huge pods of very nervous fish couldn't figure out what athey wanted. You didn't happen to see that small tin boat with six anglers all trying to flyfish. Looked like a mini charter. FishHawk

#6 · (Edited)
GregD

Devereux Beach is in Marblehead, on the way to Marblehead Neck. 'Can be', with appropriate cautionary statements included, a fantastic night of fishing - sometimes it's a bust to all but plug flingers or boat guys. At times the fish will swim into you as they chase bait, sometimes you need to get up tight to the rocks on the east end of the beach and cast right on the rocks. Regardless of success, it's never a bad night while fishing there.

p.s. - for the length of beach, I wouldn't worry about having too little room, unless everybody's bunched up at one end or the other. Most of the beach can be prospected in one tide by a mobile fishing person.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.