Fishing A Crab Pattern? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2002, 10:02 AM

Fishing A Crab Pattern?

My local fly shop recently showed me how to tie a crab pattern. They indicated that at some point here shortly (up here on the North Shore) that the fish in the tidal rivers and flats would switch from primarily eel and fish patterns to crab patterns.

Well I tied my first few crabs, but I was wondering if anyone had a good method for fishing these things? Is it the same as fishing the eel and fish patterns?

Thanks in advance for your help.

JJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2002, 01:06 PM
Flats Rat

James

I'm not an expert with crab patterns but have fished them down south for bones and permit. Depending on the location and type of crabs around various presentations may work well. Try to imagine the scenario for the particular location. Is the current strong? Are small crabs likely to be swept up and intercepted at some point down current? Is the bottom soft sand/mud? When sight fishing or targetting cruising fish, most crabs will try to bury themselves in the sand when they sense a predator coming - sometimes a cast well in front of the fish allowed to sink and sit static will get picked up - or maybe give a little "twitch" to puff up the sand/mud may get the interest of the fish.

I'm not sure if we get genuine swiiming crabs up here? The ones I've seen in the carribean can really motor and a strip retrieve would be appropriate.

If immature crabs are floating on the surface (see the recent report from Penguin..) small patterns fished sub-surface may work. Otherwise trundling the pattern across the bottom, searching out the deeper holes and troughs might be the answer.

Just a few thoughts although there is lots more local expertise than mine on this board!

Good luck and let us know what you found works
Old 07-02-2002, 01:51 PM

I wrote some notes as a primer for a local flyshop in 1994. I've changed my mind about some of this stuff, but I caught plenty of fish when I followed this religiously:

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~srobbins/crabs1.html

I was pretty full of it at the time, but fish were pushing eachother out of the way to eat my flies. That's my excuse for the bravado, anyway. sR
Old 07-02-2002, 03:27 PM

I forgot, last season's experiment:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bugvig.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	616  
Old 07-02-2002, 11:11 PM

Wow!

Is that one of those Creepy Crawlers toys that you make yourself!

How in the world did you make that? More importantly, how did it work?
Old 07-03-2002, 09:21 AM

It's made with Rub-R-Mold, which is a mold building material available at art supply stores. I fished those extensively the last two seasons with a lot of success. They are not especially durable and other crab patterns I've come up with are equally effective and easier to make. I now save those for August. They look cool, though.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:58 PM
President of CAC

SRobbins... great article and great advice...I was out on Monomoy this morning with an ourgoing and saw hundreds of fish...used the Merkin and the Borski fleeing crab.... One fish and lucky to get it...presentation is everything as you emphasis.. Thanks for the article.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:58 PM

Striblue,

Did you try fishing eel patterns at all or stick with the crab? Just curious as I'll be out there tomorrow and want to have my flybox loaded accordingly.

Cheers,

BigDave
Old 07-03-2002, 07:22 PM
President of CAC

Big Dave...no...just crabs..I do use very sparce small eel clousers...but I wanted to just fish crabs today and stick with it... I will be there tomorrow or I will be off shore in a boat... so I may see you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.