Only in Chatham? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2002, 01:31 AM
CantAnchorUs

Only in Chatham?

User`s browsing this board would be led to believe that a 7 mile expanse of flats off of Chatham is the only place that Stripers swim. Let`s get real ,a small percentage of the fish inhabit this area. It may be great but it isn`t the promiused land. There must be someone else out there that isn`t fishing in Chatham.
Slinger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2002, 08:36 AM
Flyfishing on the brain..

YUP!!!.....

....I'm not fishin' in Chatham!!

Then again, I haven't had a chance to fish at all yet.....

Hmmm, I could be in Chatham in under an hour and a half. Here fishy, fishy, fishy......:hehe:
Old 06-29-2002, 11:38 AM
Recent Member

There is no doubt that there are alot of great places however there are few better places to site fish for big cows then chatham
Old 06-29-2002, 12:58 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Only in Chatham?

Guys,

It couild be worse. You could be stuck in Joisey.

-Doc
Old 06-29-2002, 01:25 PM
CantAnchorUs

Doc ,
Should you ever get unstuck you have an open invitation to bluefish central here in Rhoddy.
Slinger
Old 06-29-2002, 05:08 PM
President of CAC

What difference does it make? You report where you fish... How about some reports from RI then?
Old 06-29-2002, 06:45 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Dear Mr Slinger..."Let's get real"?! EEEEZY big fella'...
You read reports from "active" members persuing their passion..."We" happen to be blessed with the Chatham fishery and take the time to share what's going on in "our" neighborhood with the FFF community...
If you have the opportunity to join us and get a taste of what the FarSide (of the Canal) has to offer, your point of view might be broadened and you would certainly better understand where we are coming from and why we feel enthusiastic and passionate about this special resource....Meet you at the LightHouse at 0500!
I highly encourage other fisheries to report so that we might better understand what's going on in your neighborhood...
In the meantime, I would prefer to believe that a casual observer to this board might assume that there is a highly motivated group of fly folks who have a pretty good thing going...like it or knottt!
A bad day on the water is better than a good day at work anyday!

Last edited by Penguin; 06-29-2002 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-30-2002, 08:28 AM

You know, when I read something like that I want to post replies like, " Didn't you know we all work for the Chatham Chamber of Commerce?"

or, "I guess we should all be like the Slinger (slinger of muck?) and find something negative in people sharing locations and techniques."

or, "Now let's see, where would we find his last report???"

But I won't.

Please feel free to join me/ us some time and we'll show you some of the benefits of Chatham AND other areas. Or, maybe you could share some of your experiences somewhere other than Chatham.

Slugs & hisses,

Roop
Old 06-30-2002, 01:12 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...bone-head clave...

I've got a great idea...
All the folks who lurk, seldom post, and then make snide comments about what they read should have a get-together clave so that when dust settles they can keep their little secrets and not share them with the community...and I have a nomination for clave leader!

...and besides that, I just wanted get this up where it would be better noticed by this evenings readers...
Old 07-01-2002, 05:21 AM

Maybe I am one of the lurkers, reason: I have posted many times about fishing RI, There doesn't seem to be any interest, so why bother. I have been catching some decent fish just about everytime I go, which is a couple of times a week. From either the inflatable, or wading the fish are there, but being so old, and the wife doesn't like it I only fish now adays in daylight hours. During the day I find that most of the fish are small. under 32", reading the reports, I see the board faithfulls are catching 40 " bass, they are not going to be interested in catching 10 " to 32 " fish where I fish. Some 20 to 40 lb bass are running nightly into the breachways, during the day they sulk on the bottom outside in the rocky areas. I have about six weeks to go before I get into the fishing I like, false albacore, but no one seems interested in catching 4 to 8 lb speedsters.:hehe: tight lines, catch and release, schoolie will be tomorrows trophy to be released again.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:44 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Step back and think about it...

This thread begins on the premise that those who are actively posting should be fishing somewhere else than where they are fishing. There's something missing in that logic. Perhaps those who are fishing somewhere else should be posting about what they're doing!

So, let me change the topic of this thread from Only in Chatham?

to:

Anyone fishing outside of Chatham ever going to post reports?
Old 07-01-2002, 06:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
Quote:
Originally posted by artb
[BI see the board faithfulls are catching 40 " bass, they are not going to be interested in catching 10 " to 32 " fish where I fish. Some 20 to 40 lb bass are running nightly into the breachways, [/B]
Artb,

I beg to differ. I'm interested in all those 32" fish you suggest nobody else wants . I'm always up for a change of scenery, aaannnnd I have no wife which limits me to fishing during the day. As such, I'll take a few of those 20-40lbers as well.

Do tell more. Details, details....

Jeff
Old 07-01-2002, 07:40 AM

Slinger, I should have left out the sarcastic comments.

I'll show you some spots around the Cape any time you would like. My karma isn't the same this year as in the past so there are no guarntees.

PM me and we'll set something up.

Roop
Old 07-01-2002, 08:51 AM
Fluff

Art's insight is invaluable, yet I disagree with SOME of his reasoning for lurking, and always have. Art, I do not think there's a lot of weight to 'nobody cares what happens in RI'; I personally like to know what's happening because it helps fuel the desire to GO, never mind just reading about it. It's understandable that the wife doesn't want you sloshing around in the middle of the night; find a couple other people to go with, safety in numbers, etc.

You asked me when I'd come down and go fishing - when I get a chance that isn't surrounded with other stuff I need to take care of. That simple. I'd hope you'd be around if I had a chance to come down and still want to go with me or take me.

If Steve thinks it's something of a private club, he's allowed to think so, right or wrong. Responding to Steve's third-shift, tired, a little annoyed comment doesn't require making an instant flamefest out of it or being sarcastic, like Jeff admitted to doing which was quite professional and admirable to admit.

I don't get to fish nearly as much as I'd like, so I don't have anything relevant to post, fishing wise. Does it make me less interested in what anyone else has to offer? - no, it doesn't. Does it mean I've taken to not caring how my friends are enjoying their seasons? Obviously a stupid question.

John's right about writing for the area you fish. Pete offered an opportunity to team up with Steve; Steve should take him or John or Jeff or anybody else who offers up on the chance, and God knows he or Art or several other RI locals could show the hell out of RI to the Cape Crowd or anybody else.

Just for the sake of saying so - geography is relative. If you've got the chance/time/inclination/desire to go somewhere, you'll get there in due time. Enjoy what you have; share it with others. Remember, friends don't let friends fish without support.

Play Nice.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:11 AM
CantAnchorUs

I was fishing in Chatham long before most of the people here were born. I was there when Daigneault drove his truck into the old inlet. I was probably one of the first to walk across the new land bridge to south beach. I`ve spent 35 yrs. on the Cape. I don`t post about RI because I only fish here as a last resort. I was throwing flies at Bass before there was a commercialy produced saltwater fly rod. I resent being flamed because I had the audacity to say there are other places besides Chatham.
Oh, by the way if anyone cares, Barnstable Harbor produced 33 bass, 4 bluefish and one giant fluke in 4 hrs. of flyfishing yesterday morning.
Slinger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.