Hey PMflyfisher - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2002, 09:31 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Smile Hey PMflyfisher

Let me know what size hooks you want those leeches on. Will do my best with color combos for you. Email me with size hooks you prefer and will get those done for you ASAP so you have them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2002, 10:05 PM

OKAY THE INFORMATION IS ON THE WAY- A BIG THANKS FROM THE GREAT LAKES
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2002, 07:57 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
It's in the mail

Will drop off our "care package" monday. Should have it hopefully sometime this week. Threw in some extras, some experimentals for you to try.

Jerry
Old 06-30-2002, 08:48 PM

Jerry,

Thanks, the way that summer run nailed my bunny leach the other day has made me a believer. Never really used them much before, mostly a nymph, streamer, and wet fly guy. Guess they would be considered a streamer type of fly design ?

Hal
Old 07-04-2002, 08:23 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Hmmmmm

I guess it's a streamer. Never gave it much thought actually. I put her in it's own catagory, leeches.

They're on their way, maybe you'll have them as early as Saturday. But knowing the mail and the holiday to boot, probably monday/tuesday. I tied up a few, and one leech in black/green. May work for you. Never know.

Now with my onslaught of hooks coming, will have PLENTY of hooks to tie leeches. :hehe:
Old 07-05-2002, 07:19 AM

Jerry,

Yes I suspect Saturday would be the earliest I would be surprised if they come today. Thanks a lot !. I have been tying some new smelt patterns using a white bunny strip.

Rumor is some fresh mint silver kings are already in a couple of our rivers. These things are like hooking a freight train though, if you land one out of 20 you are doing good. Our rivers are not as wide as yours and they can get around the next river bend from you fairly quickly and are difficult to chase. Lots of log jams for them to go under also and break you right off.

Hal
Old 07-09-2002, 08:31 AM

Bunny patterns

Hey, you guys fishing bunny strip patterns. Do your fish ever short strike? Maybe it's just our fish here. They seem to take the tail and leave the head. I've tried shortening the tail, tieing in stinger hooks, ect. Maybe it is in the way that I am tying them that gives me a tenative strike. I had tarpon do bunny patterns do the exact same thing. They just suck it between their lips by the tail. Since you guys fish that pattern alot I could sure use some advise.

John
Old 07-09-2002, 10:37 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Rarely have a short strike

Normally the steelhead/salmon well take whole thing. But, when I put a stinger in, I hook it UP into the tail, so main hook is pointing down and trailer up.

Can't give you much help, but I always give them a little extra time before I set on the hook. Give them a chance to get chomping. LOL
Old 07-10-2002, 06:02 AM

SH69:

One of my problems with this little situation is that most of the places we fish only allow a "single barbless hook". So, stingers that would work else where in the river can't be used in the better areas. I can say that this take is generally at the end of a swing as the fly rises. They are good solid takes but the are just getting about half the fly. About 3 years ago I was teaching I was teaching someone how to use a sinking line. We were getting a big rise in the water so we only had a few minutes. The first cast I made into a small pool, a "huge" female brown pulled off the bottom and began tracking the fly. I froze and never made a mend. The thing was that she went "nose to nose" with the fly for about 30 feet before she refused it. I am definately getting some interest of some very good fish. Just that very often I get a partial take.

John
Old 07-10-2002, 08:43 AM

John,

She did not like the scent of that fly IMHO.

Hal
Old 07-10-2002, 12:46 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Here's something you can try

I know I'll get jabs for this one. I COMPLETELY understand the single barbless scenerio. We get those regs all the time. Here's what you do. Put a joint on the fly. Use an egg fly hook and wrap in a piece of wire. Since I make my own spinners for fishing as well as tie my own flies, I simply wrap in an extension onto the single hook. Then tie up the hook onto the extenstion piece. It'll have a nice loop on end just like a spinner would. I guess it would be same as a waddington shank??? You'll get movement because of the joint, and just put a small tail off end of hook.

Oh yeah, next time, give that line a twitch. May be what you need to spark that fish. Had same thing happen on the Hoh a couple years ago. I could literally watch a steelhead follow my pink leech all the way until I started to strip my line in. Guess what? Towards the end of tail out, I twitched tip of my rod, then WHAM. Fish on. I don't mean strip it in, just enough to get it to pulsate a bit. Worked for the nice buck I caught, but not sure on smaller fish.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:42 PM

Yes we tie a jointed hex wiggle nymph in the mid west that can be effective for trout, salmon, and steelhead. I have not perfected my version though yet. Secret is in the loop hinge which I have been using mono for, but believe there are better options.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.