Fly Fishing Experience - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

View Poll Results: How many years of fly fishing experience do you have ?
LT 1 11 8.80%
1 - 5 16 12.80%
6 - 10 9 7.20%
11 - 15 14 11.20%
16 - 20 12 9.60%
21 - 25 11 8.80%
26 - 30 14 11.20%
31 - 40 20 16.00%
41 - 50 11 8.80%
51 - 60 + 7 5.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 06-25-2002, 10:27 PM

Question Fly Fishing Experience

How many total years of fly fishing experience do you have ?

Any type saltwater, fresh water, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2002, 01:47 PM
Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

Send a message via AIM to Stone Send a message via Yahoo to Stone
WOW!

I am the only one with 1-5 years right now? Man do I feel like a kid...

probably has something to do with only being 22 though.

:hehe:
Old 06-26-2002, 02:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
reveal yourself...

OK, I just have to know who has 51-60 years flyfishing experience.

That way, moving forward, I can pay especially close attention.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:57 PM
Fly chucker

This is an interesting question. An even more interesting question would be the amount of flyfishing experience vs. actual age. If two people have twenty years of experience, but one is twenty-five and the other is sixty, I wonder how their fishing backgrounds would match up. Probably quite well, given the potential for sharing different approaches and views that might come with the difference in age.

I voted, but I'm not gonna say how many years of experience I have. I will say that I started when I was 5, and that's starting to make me feel older and date myself.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:58 PM

Re: reveal yourself...

Quote:
Originally posted by jborkowski
OK, I just have to know who has 51-60 years flyfishing experience.

That way, moving forward, I can pay especially close attention.

Thanks in advance.
I for one agree that we can learn a lot from those who have a lot experience. My guess is that one person is ArtB. From past messages I knowthat he's forgotten more about fly fishing than I've learned.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:14 PM

Yeah who are those > 50 year FFs ?

I started fishing at around 8 or 9 with a spinning rod and the fly rod was 12 years old. That is all I am going to divulge right now.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:45 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Cool LOL Hal!!!!

Too funny.

Started myself with trout rod at 3 (man, I still give my Dad credit with that one since I've started both my kids at same age with trout rods). Went up to baitcaster and salmon/steelhead at 7. Picked up a fly rod around 10 and hit first fish at around 11/12 with the fly. I'm 32 so that puts me in the 21-25 range fly fishing wise. But, all the years I have in with a flyrod, I don't have a full 21 years fly fishing. Just because you have the years of service, doesn't mean you have used them all to that one means. I do pretty much always bring a fly rod with me on my "conventional trips" and vice versa. If I hit the right conditions, the fly line will be flying.

Yeah, I'd be interested in the 50+ years. If you think about it though, it's not much if you started really young. Hell, my Dad would almost classify at that and he's almost 60. But he only merely dabbled with the fly all these years. I don't think I've ever seen him on an exclusive trip with a flyrod (might be that his main fly buddy growing up was his brother who died years ago). Good post though, would love to see where the stats lay.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:50 PM

I will bet those in the over 40 years categories remember the following:

1. When there was no waders but only hip boots.

2. When automatic fly reels (Garcia, South Bend???) were in.

3. When HDH, HCH etc.. fly line labelling systems

4. When nymph fisherman were equivalent to bait fisherman.

5. When bamboo fly rods were common and top of the line before glass, and graphite came around.

6. When there was no fly fishing only and no kill sections and the fishing was still good.

7. When there were no Orvis dudes but Abercrombie & Fitch was the place to buy the best equipment.

8. When fly fishing for trout and atlantic salmon was the primary pursuit.

9. When you could trout fish all day and never see any boats on the river carrying fisherman.

10. When there were few fly fishing guides except for Atlantic salmon and probably PNW steelhead and salmon.

12. When "The River Runs Through IT" was an unknown book.

13. When fly rodders used bait (worms, salmon eggs, shiners) for trout fishing.

14. When neopreme, thinsulate, and gortex were unknown materials.

15. When it was expected to have leaky boots at the end of the day.

Thats enough for now, I guess I gave away what category I am in

The 41-50 not the super senior one yet
Old 06-26-2002, 11:48 PM

Hal, I take back my 'uncommon' post elsewhere,

after that, you like me, are older than dirt.

Bless you my aged son.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:05 AM

Older than dirt

I just read an article on some of the history of casting. Back in the early 30's when they used bamboo single hand rods and who knows what else for casting the gold medal distances were in the 180 foot range. Steve rajeff with his nuclear, proton, hyper drive, electro accelerated, depleted uranium rods threw like 171 last year. I'll be darned if you bunch of old geezers weren't doing something right.

(bowing).......We are not worthy oh wise and masterful ones.....

John
Old 06-27-2002, 07:52 AM

The statistics initially show we have some very experienced FF on board that our lesser experienced collegues can benefit from. I just wish we had the internet when I was a newbie fly fisherman 43 years ago. Back then youhad to wait for the new monthly edition of Outdoor Like, Sports Afield, or Field & Stream and look for tips from Joe Brooks, Ted Trueblood, Lee Wulff, Ernest Schwiebert, and a few others. As I recall there was not even many good fly fishing books back then to learn from them, mostly the monthly magazines.

Now you do a search on the internet find a fly site forumn join and start asking questions and getting informative responses. it really does not seem fair.

Otherwise you had to corner the old experienced fly guys on the river and pry their secrets out of them. And beleive me they were very secretive back then.

Fred I may be 54 years old but every one especially the ladies tell me I don't look a year over 39. Health club fitness instructor thought I was in my 30s and was coming on to me. She is 21 years old. I had to tell her the truth.

Oh well I just have to live my youthful looks and body.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:03 AM
Fluff

PM -
Love your fifteen indicators; I still own letter lines and leaky hip boots - does that make me an old bast - oops, no, wait, I forgot - I'm the OLD CURMUDGEON

You must've felt pretty good about the come-on, regardless of the outcome

Fred, you're right, in a way. the magazines were THE introduction and education media, as it seemed written books were slow to emerge unless done by those named individuals, et al. I maintained subscriptions to Outdoor Life, Field&Stream and such even while in grade and high school. When I'd have a chance to visit someone my grandfather knew who fished or hunted, I'd be an instant pest, looking over tackle, displayed books, mags, etc., asking if I could read or borrow to read, not thinking about logistics re: returning to owner; kinda made grandparents angry bugging people. I would read every word; fishing, hunting, expedition, it didn't matter (Mark: I started when I was five, also.)

Also, way back when, the names of people like Harold Gibbs and Al Brewster filtered around the Northeast, perhaps ranging farther, as they became known for their skills and experiences through flyfishing. Our own Arthur Burton is a protege' of these fellows; Art can certainly lend his many years of experience and expertise to our discussion and perhaps he'll weigh in on this.

I did the math (my years ) yesterday. Regardless, and I've said this many times, I defer to and respect the age, wisdom and experience of the revered members older than I.

So, if that puts you two, Art, Ironman, myself or others in the same >50 boat, I'd say we're in good company
Old 06-27-2002, 11:19 AM

One thing PM forgot and it was a bit before both our times was the purchasing of a new fly rod. In days of old there was no flyshop to go out and buy a top of the line rod like today. When one made the decison to get anything but a begining or starter fly rod that person was already confident in his fishing ability. He would make a call or write a letter to his favorite cane rod builder on a winter day and ask for a bit of the builders time. A time would be set up and the fisherman would most likely drive 5 or 6 hours to the rod builders shop and spend time talking fishing philosophy with the rod builder. The great rod builders of the day had a great understanding of fishing philosophy and could understand exactly what the fisherman needed in a rod. The fisherman would make the drive home knowing something special was about to be created over the next several winter months. I need not go on with the rest of the details but I hope some of the new folks to fly fishing think about the many ways fly fishing was a much more personal experience before the 1970's.

PM also mentioned that how he wished he had the internet when he was learning. PM, I would consider you and me very lucky we did not have the internet and all these how to learn by books and vidios. I am not putting it down as I love to visit and converse here in my own way. But it seems to me that those that are learning and new to fly fishing are at a disavantage today. We learned by total trial and error, yes we always had some help when and only when we personally felt it was needed by an older mentor who was wise enough to understand that you can not teach fishing. So advise came more in the philosophical fishing conversations that took place at the river, sitting in an open doored garage on a Friday evening before the day of fishing or at the kitchen table on a cold Febuary nite, two fishermen tying up flies for opening day. It has been my observation that today I see so many folks who when it comes to learning to fly fish go right to experience "D" and never learn or even understand that there is an A, B, and C experience that forms a strong basis as to who they will be as a fly fisherperson.
OC
Old 06-27-2002, 02:44 PM

DFIX and OC,

Well said. I still have some of my old fly fishing magazines from 25 years ago stored away.

Will have to think of some historical items

Remember those old canvas fishing creels and wicker baskets before vests came in ?

I still have my first fly rod and reel.

Sometimes I wish the internet never happened, remember Alfin Toffler "Future Shock" book's predictions well the information revolution is one of the items that has come true. Accessibilaity and speed of access to information across the world

Hal
Old 06-27-2002, 04:45 PM
Fluff

Quote:
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
DFIX and OC,

Well said. I still have some of my old fly fishing magazines from 25 years ago stored away.

Will have to think of some historical items

Remember those old canvas fishing creels and wicker baskets before vests came in ?

I still have my first fly rod and reel.

Sometimes I wish the internet never happened, remember Alfin Toffler "Future Shock" book's predictions well the information revolution is one of the items that has come true. Accessibilaity and speed of access to information across the world

Hal
Hal -

Someone once told me the material things I valued were just 'stuff' and to not miss them; that someone was wrong. Sometimes I wish out loud, more often now, that things were simpler, that we could return to 'simpler' times. The actual truth is things WERE simpler -
children respected their parents, other adults, their peers, did what they were told pretty much without wondering why, under penalty of a suffering worse than death. Today, the child threatens the parent or other adults with legal action, etc.

(I just decided I'm not going to write my dissertation on the differences between 'then and now' here, now.)

This thread, in the electronic world, is a very poignant indicator of just how far we've come in the world, in our continuing evolution, in the development of technology, looking toward a future of who knows what - which is not necessarily a good thing.

At this point, I've written an edited four times, attempting to continue this reply - see withdrawal of dissertation.

To answer the original question of 'how long have I fished' with a fly rod: Forty-five years. I like wicker creels and cane rods and dacron and cast iron and Frozen Pudding ice cream, too.

Some night I might sit down and start a thread entitled "Differences Between Then and Now" - it'd be interesting to see just what any of us think those differences are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.