Black Hills - South Dakota - Trout Fishing - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2002, 02:16 PM

Black Hills - South Dakota - Trout Fishing

Any body have any experience trout fishing in the Black Hills area ?

Been checking it out on the web and it looks like they have a number of trout streams but nothing that I have heard of before.

Here is where I am in my research

http://www.sdfishinginfo.com/troutfishing.htm

Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 06-25-2002 at 07:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2002, 02:01 PM

I don't know if this will help. But here goes. In the Magazine Fly Fisherman there was an article about Fishing the Black hills. It lists about four streams and a few lakes. One more thing, the date on the issue is February 1999.

I could send you the article but where to if you interested.
Old 06-30-2002, 02:56 PM

Old Man,

Thanks, on the offer, think I have enough information. I guess we do not have any SD FF yet on the board who will disclose information on their home waters. I am sure these waters are just swarming with lots of trout and no other anglers.

PM
Old 07-02-2002, 12:37 PM

It could be just that way as there just aren't that many people that live in that state. I have read several other articles about the Black Hills Fishing and they all said the same. Lots of fish and nobody to catch them. But what do I know I'm just an old man.:hehe:
Old 07-02-2002, 02:13 PM

I will let you know if I go. But only you.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:34 PM

Found this, it sounds interesting. I was planning on going to Mt Rushmore over Labor Day and may check out the fishing as well.

"The Black Hills are the last great undiscovered spring creek fishing in the land. I'm a senior at Black Hills State University in Spearfish. I fly fish 3-5 days a week in the area. Fishing is great
with the best places I'll keep a secret, but Spearfish Creek has been very productive I've been averaging 2-5 fish an hour (12"-16") size have been larger this year they last. Fishing up and down the creek has been good, with the best in the lower creek in the 3 mile section in the Spearfish city park. Maurice intake dam 7 miles up sream has been slower but the fish are larger (16"-19"). The rainbow have been hitting hard this last week. Yesterday I tried Crow Creek and caught 3 brookies (12"). I plan to try Redwater and Mirror Lakes just west of Spearfish today.
Last year Rapid Creek was fair there are larger fish to be found but are hard to get to the surface. Try Castle Creek around Deerfield Reseavior I love this creek lots of brookies, some days fish hit ever cast."

Brad
Old 07-02-2002, 09:04 PM

Thanks, this my be a sleeper area. You never hear much about the trout fishing there. Suppose to be a great family vacation area per many of my friends that have been out there. Lots to do, history, and the great out doors etc...
Old 07-03-2002, 12:45 PM

I've been thru that area at least 6 times,but never stopped to fish. I drove to Chicago three different times in the last 10 years, to visit my son. For me it's quite a drive. Washington State. It always seems that when you are going you just want to get there and when it's time to go home you just want to get back. It just never seemed like it was time to stop and fish.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:07 PM

I know what you mean, I have the same dilemna on my trips back east to NJ. You should see the beautiful trout streams they have in western PA. Been driving over them for 20 years now and never once had time to stop and fish them.

Yes that is quite a drive to Chicago from Washington state. Twice as much as my drives to NJ which is almost 900 miles.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:19 PM

Looks like I will be on my way there two weeks from today.

Some how I pulled my son's schedules together and my business schedule, and found a good place to stay on short notice.

Black Hills trout watch out !

Will be doing sight seeing and hiking also. Many things to see: Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, Bad Lands National Park, Crazy Horse memorial, Black Hills National Forest, lots more also.

The boys will be trout fishing in indian and buffalo country !

God bless american fly fishing !
Old 08-25-2002, 04:43 PM

Black Hills Trout Fishing

We got back a few weeks ago. Beautiful area is the Black Hills and Bad Lands which includes Custer State Park as well as the Norbeck and Black Elk Wilderness areas. It was a drought situation when we were there the last week of July so all of the streams were very low. Accordingly we fished more in the trout ponds and lakes. These are stocked well with 15 + inch trout in many of them. Our trip was not just fishing but also included sight seeing and hiking through out these parks.

If you want an outdoor oriented vacations with hiking, beautiful unique scenery, wildlife (buffalo, sheep, elk, antelope, deer, etc) ,history (pioneers, indians, mining, etc.) camping, etc. this is an area you should check out some day. There are a number of creeks, ponds, and lakes with trout. It is uncrowded, with a number of walk in areas to remote fishing. Some beautiful little creeks, wish there had not been a drought.

Attached are pictures of Mt Rushmore and the Cathedral Spires in Black Elk Wilderness which we hiked up to and around on our way to a Harney Peak (highest point east of the rockies).

I now know why Theodore Roosevelt is up on Rushmore who is really the President who was the founder of our national park system. Thank god for there fore sight in preserving these great wilderness areas we still have today.

Here is a link on Teddy's conservation accomplishments. Had to read up on this after visiting rusmore. Took american history a long time ago.

PM

http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/life/conservation.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rushmore.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	763  
Old 08-25-2002, 04:45 PM

Cathedral Spires

Dont know how this will come out, having trouble reducing them down below the 30 K maximum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spires.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	764  
Old 08-25-2002, 11:29 PM
Pullin' Thread

PH Flyfisher,

I was going to post back when your were lookikng for infor on the Black Hills but othere provided you with good solid stuff on the fishing therein so I didn't.

I spent one year living 2 hours east of Rapid City and spent nearly every weekend in the Black Hills. This is truly one of the last uncrowded or undiscovered trout fishing places in the country. You now know this from personal experience. All of the creeks and lakes in the hills have trout in them unless they were ruined from mining, like the ones in the Deadwood area.

Glad to hear you had a good trip. A side note, Mount Rushmore is certainly worth going to, I went to it at least 10 times the year I spent in South Dakota. Did you catch the evening interpretive show?
Old 08-26-2002, 09:07 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

PM -

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Just wanted to tell you that your pics are under 3k, not 30k! You have ten times the pixels at your disposal.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:21 AM

I could not get it to 30 k with power point, goes from 72k to 3k, with no inbetween, must be doing something wrong

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.