CT info request - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2002, 10:18 AM

CT info request

Since my sister recently moved to Ledyard I'll have a reason to go to the Groton - New London-Waterford area on a regular basis. Aside from Harkness state park & Millstone I know very little of the coast in that area. Does anyone have suggestions for that area?
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2002, 10:52 AM
Fly chucker

John, check out Niantic and Old Saybrook. In Niantic, right where the Niantic River dumps out into the Sound can be a good place for hickory shad on the river side and great for bluefish on the Sound side. It's also just about time for the snapper blues to start showing up. They prowl the protected water on the back side of the river. Depending upon the stage of the tide, the water can really be flying under the route 156 bridge, so you might want a QD line. On the back side, an intermediate will do. Disclaimer: this is an area that can get hammered by bait fishermen, the kind who lack etiquette. See Peguin's thread for suggestions on how to deal with them.

For Old Saybrook, check out the causeway (route 154) that passes over South Cove. This is another good spot for hickories and snapper blues, and another spot that is hammered by the bait crowd. But the causeway is loooong, so you can find room. Just watch your backcast so it's not hitting traffic. On a lower tidal stage, it's possible to get down in and wade a bit.

Let me know when you'll be around. If I can swing it, I'd love to meet up with you. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2002, 11:18 AM

Thanks Mark.

I'll probably be down Thursday or Friday this week to see my new neice & bring dinner to the family. I'll keep you updated.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:54 PM
_

Or you could go east and try RI. Plenty of places to fish there!

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2002, 11:07 AM

Q, your right about RI. I'm just looking for a place where I can pilfer a little time away from the family for fishing. If I keep it close to the end of 395 it is an easy ride home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.