Friday scouting - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2001, 07:00 PM

Friday scouting

Hit the causeway at 05:00 with the 'yak, georgeous morning FAC conditions and made the paddle down through the bathtub and out to S.Beach. No bait, no birds, no fish showing..... hmmm? Tried drifting and casting with no takers so I beached and struck out for the east-facing beach. Big surf greeted me but it looked fishable if you picked the right sequence of 'sets'.
Ended up with two fish from the suds, one on a Capt Ray angel hair and the other on a deep sand eel. By 7:30 I headed back to the west to see if the RipRyder crew was closing in. Met with Steve who had also paddled down in his yak fishing machine and we soon had a boatload of RipRyders to welcome including your intrepid meister, Roop.
The fishing up until the time I headed back to the causeway was less than impressive, although I'm certain that they killed 'em just after I had to leave ;(
Striblue had the fish of the am up inside the 'tub' which I had ignorantly paddled right on through. A solid 31", aside from that it was ones & twos for everyone else.
Hopefully that 10-15 Southerly that was blowing up will push some bait and/or warmer waters back in for tomorrow's efforts.
BTW: I did one more trip to the ocean beaches and there is some outstanding structure if you walk north from the RR drop-off. Look for the orange and black bouy that is propped up on the beach, there's a beautiful bowl in front of it and a large bar about 50 yds to the North.

Good to meet old friends and new faces, have a great weekend.

And any boarding of my 'yak that results in the yak and it's occupant remaining upright is a 'graceful' one in my book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2001, 09:26 AM
Recent Member

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
Bob,
It was good to meet you, and all of the other fellas. You missed John's (StriBlue) beautiful mid-channel dismount from the Tribalance. It didn't tip, though! The judges gave him an 8.5. They deducted the point and a half because he tangled himself up in his flyline while bobbing for anchors. To his credit, he did take himself into backing.
I did the same as you...paddled through the 'tub past the fish. I picked up 3 in the 2 foot range, but figured there would be "thousands" in the surf off South Beach, so I kept going. Oh well. Should'a been there last week. Weird fishing, but a fun day regardless. I also paddled past the mouth of Stage along Hardings and Ridgevale. No sign of anything. I thought I might find one of those tailing blues that hang there in mid-May, but was wrong. I paddled back along the West side flats...lots more of nothing. Finally I crossed the break between North and South Monomoy and back to the 'tub where John and I found a few rats before heading home. That area is going to explode in two weeks.
Old 05-20-2001, 10:09 AM
President of CAC

Steve...I cound not have described it better... Thanks for hauling the yak back to the flat and thanks to Peter Gray (Solo) for hauling me back. As well to to the rest of the guys. Caught all my fish trolling in the yak... very cold and the wind picked up in the afternoon and It was good to see Bob Pink, whom I found out there despite the fact that I could not get there at 5 am. Saw Brendan O'B and his new boat. Hope he will invite me again on it during the summer. I will post reports from the clave later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.