...clueless but well dressed... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2002, 01:20 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...clueless but well dressed...

So there I wuzz...Saturday evening...standing shallow and casting across a sand flat, letting the fly drift into the deep...
When along come an Orvis clad warrior who wades out deep just upstream and shuts me down...Mr Clueless!...
I thanked him and moved on
A little courtesy goes a long way...(and sometimes it doesn't)...
What's the accepted method for imparting encroachment displeasure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2002, 01:39 PM
Flats Rat

Short of a poke with a cattle prod, comments like:

"Wow, did you see the size of that fish you just spooked - must have been at least 40 inches?" can sometimes get attention and lead to enlightenment.

If no coherent reply is forthcoming I revert to going off to find some other place - fortunately there are plenty. I get enough aggravation at work and definitely don't need it when I'm fishing.

As folks pointed out recently, every individual has the right to behave in a clueless, stupid or otherwise ignorant manner.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:47 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Since the spot is hosed anyway, walk out of sight and start yelling SHARK!into the night air while running in knee deep water, gurlgling a swig of spring water to make your voice sound as if you are getting pulled under. :hehe:

Or carry a 4.3 million candlepower beam lantern (with backpack battery) and flash it in their eyes, asking "hey Bubba is that you?". :eyecrazy:

How about just wading a little upwind, unsnapping the wading belt and releasing all those captive demons from digestion of dinner?

Oh well, we were all that sharp dressed clueless flats guy once
Old 06-24-2002, 03:08 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Juro, the methane effect was one of my favourites for years, however, my new Simms Gortex breathe so well that this technique is not as effective as it once was. Oh well, *#@$ happens...

Still Living Large!
Old 06-24-2002, 03:28 PM

In my younger days it would have been assault & battery with a deadly fly,(#02 but barbless). But now a days I'm already thinking of what might happen and how I should talk with the fisherman before he ever gets close to me. It's smart to say hello before he makes the wade or low holes you because by a little friendly conversation right off one might be able to reason with him if he decides to wade inpolitely, one can suggest that wading in a poor maner is not so nice or would not be exceptable to you.
I found that in my days of intinidation by giving off the old ugly stare or glare did nothing but make the guy more set in his ignorant ways and that has in the past ended me before a judge. Boy, put two male macho fly fisherman together with bad start off blood and it's just not fun to be fishing.
Like I say, just be friendly before the guy ever really gets to thowing his first line and then any suggestions you make maybe taken more seriously. If the guy continues to be an Orvis Boy then you got to just move on or set a sound hook.
OC
Old 06-24-2002, 03:30 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Red face Yep!

My thoughts on an earlier thread as well - no matter how small your comfort zone is, there's always some #%*! that's gotta come inside it!

And "Sorry, I didn't pay for a lapdance" or other choice comments often fail to register on the offending oaf's mental radar. Attempting to educate them as to proper flats etiquitte is an option if you don't mind being told to *&%# Off.

Juro and Kush had some entertaining suggestions, but you have to be properly armed (loaded?) for most of them!

Given the choices, I usually just leave.

DS
Old 06-24-2002, 03:45 PM

Thumbs up Real Nice

You could have mentioned to the gentleman that he would look pretty funny at the ER with his T3 sticking out from where the sun does not shine. Or perhaps a few real sloppy casts with a 1/4 clouser may have persuaded him to move on. I know when I have hit myself with them it feels as if I got shot! Boy they smart.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:45 PM

Tie on some thing big and cast it about 10-20 feet away from the person and then exclaim loudly "Sorry I can't cast for &*%$ today, just don't know where the next one will go".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.