Fussy fish - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2002, 05:34 AM

Talking Fussy fish

Took the yak out Sat and got to fish a flat with crusing difficult pods of large stripers. Tried everything in the box again.Whould shure like to break the code . Have anyone else had this type of experience? Wonder if I was using the wrong line. I had a sinking line and maybe I sould have had a floater on. That's why I like this game trying to figure out the mysteries . FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2002, 06:30 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Fishhawk -

There is a code (assuredly more than one) and at the risk of sounding over-confident I've found one that works consistently for me and those I take out to the flats. Code isn't the right term, let's say that I have developed a couple of approaches that given the ability to see fish, will hook up a significant percentage out of the shots you get. Enough so you humble the fish, as opposed to being humbled by them. You said "flat", "saw fish" and "cruising" also "difficult". These are, for said method, perfect conditions. Without such a method no wade guide would accept pay for taking people fishing on the flats. Better off blind casting if you're chartering unless you got a key to locked lips. It's there to discover, just keep experimenting - it's the fun part as you said!

There are four major factors to flats success:

a) presence of fish - you got that nailed
b) mood of fish - difficult in this case, if eager your report would be different
c) presentation - critical
d) fly

Note that the fly is the least important of the four, and mood of the fish overrides presentation. In fact, I have been able to stay with the starter fly on most trips this season, with a couple of exceptions - although July will make that change in a hurry.

Mood is high on the list, but presentation can override the mood of the fish if and only if it is done precisely, and the fly seals the deal. For instance the effect of mood is seen when the fish find clouds of bait coming over a shoal on the flats, they can erupt into a blitz and to excite them you need to revert to an appropriate retrieve to get their attention, suddenly a floating line is a hot line, very different approach, same fish, same spot - the difference is mood. Once they stop the situation flips again, everything changes due to mood.

One thing you can definitely say about stripers - they have a real "psyche" thing going. They have certain behaviors that are predictable. These are worth deciphering and are the keys to unlocking their lips.

It's not about a line, a fly, or any piece of equipment unless that aids the success factors. You're 100% right, it's the experimentation and discovery that is the thrill of fishing!

Good luck, keep trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2002, 05:36 PM

FISHHAWK,a friend came in today an said you fished w/him,or he fishe w/you. on the flats,in your YAKS, having a hard time catching
he said. take head to what JURO said, an also if correct you were in 2' of water an the fish were every where, my recomendation, would have been chang to a FLOATING LINE, ONE INCH sandeels, chartruce or brown, depending what was there, an DEAD DRIFT them w/ a TWICH, now an then works for me, up there.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN"
Old 06-26-2002, 06:12 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Great advice Rich! The retrieve is ever critical Fishhawk.

I just realized you were fishing IN the yak... that makes a huge difference, you have a 15 foot shadow looming overhead. They have to ID the fly as food before they ID the yak. Choose your spots wisely so that you see them and have time to make the cast before they see you. Seeing 50 fish in an hour and hooking 20 is better than seeing 500 and hooking none.

To them it's war - kill something before something kills you. A hovering enemy is a reason not to eat. Ambush them with the fly, not the boat.

Personally and meaning no implications of course, I don't think I would fish from a yak. I'd prefer to use it for transportation and fish on foot on the flats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.