Rippin' with Roop and Bob - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2002, 06:19 PM
Fly chucker

Rippin' with Roop and Bob

I had my first Cape Cod experience on Saturday with Roop and Bob Pink, and it's one that I won't soon be forgetting. Bob consistently put us on fish in a variety of structures (flats, rips, breaklines, bars, shoals) and I had an absolute blast. I've never seen so many stripers in one day, and a few blues showed up to make everything even more interesting.

I think it's safe to say that I now understand the passion people have when they talk about fishing this area. I hope to be back sooner than later!

Bob, thanks for the hospitality aboard your boat. You're fun to fish with. The more people that I meet and get to know from this Forum, the happier I am to be a part of it.

Jeff, thanks for putting up with me over the weekend. Anne is still talking about how much fun she had with your wife and daughters. As for Lily, well...she's definitely a Roop.

BTW, do you have a projected date for the release of your upcoming song "Bait Ball"? I think it's gonna catch on!
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2002, 07:14 PM

A most excellent day!

Mark was the hot rod of the day showing us Cape Cod guys how to do it right.

Mr. Pink should go Pro. We fished everything from 2' of water to 20' of water catching fish all the way. This was not a day for the faint of heart, all fish were paid for with technique & sweat hence Mark's success. Bob was the ultimate host with his good nature & desire to make sure Mark's first Cape Cod striper experience was memorable.

I was also fortunate enough to hop a ride with Ursa Major on his Maritime & learn more of the ways of a hardcore, ex-commercial fisherman. Always enlightening (sometimes scary) when you can tap into his head. All I can say is 40# tippet is the way to go!

Highlights of the day were the verbal beatings dealt out across the crew, the Bait Ball song, and seeing fish where you expected to see them + even catching a few. Low moments - curse of the cameras: video or still, they are harbingers of doom - let's leave it at that.

A day that will be well remembered.

Roop
Old 06-23-2002, 07:49 PM

Well, all I can say is that there is nothing like 12hrs on the water with someone to let you see their true selves. I hope none of you have to see that side of Roop, it's a scary thing. And he thinks he can sing too! Argghh!
One last jab at the roopster!

Mark, great to be able to play the host although I wish I would have arrived more in touch with how those fish would respond. I've not had so many refusals on one trip since I stopped dating. You must have been a talisman for the day as it was sort of spooky how we found fish just about every place we stopped. Did't get into a real drag-smoking session but there were some nice fish. I did like how you were able to drag a nice striper out from the pod of blues we found finning on B-gate. Happy to have you back aboard next time you are up. Now, about that reverse forhand cast of yours..... :eyecrazy:

Nice to get out on the Brewster flats for the first time this season, Seeing literally hundred of fish come charging over the edges as the tide rose was heart-stopping. Billingsgate and Great Island in the later afternoon sun, playing tag with the Rock Harbor fleet along the edges! Ah, brings back old memories. I think there are lots of opportunities yet to learn about flyfishing Billinsgate. Not traditional flats but it's a big area that holds lots of fish...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2002, 09:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
Unhappy Bob, did you hear me on the radio?

I got that new digital antenna now I'm not hearing so well. can't find the paperwork (is there a way I need to tune it to my radio? Tom D
Old 06-23-2002, 10:47 PM

tom,
You were coming in L&C over my set. I didn't do anything to 'tune' mine. Perhaps you could contact Scott Bullock (saltybugger) for some tips for testing it's output?

bob
Old 06-24-2002, 03:25 PM

Talking it is you Bob

salty says you have alternator noise, he said in vinyard sound if you were running you sounded like crap. Tom D
Old 06-25-2002, 09:50 AM

maybe you need a filter

Bob, perhaps you need some kind of filter. when I asked Salty(Scott), he said you were good when motor was off, but underway just noise. I heard other boats clear, so that is why he said mine is probably ok. Tom
Old 06-25-2002, 04:58 PM

thanks tom, I've spoken with scott as well and he had some great suggestions. Hope to get to work on in while on vacation soon...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.