Boga grips? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

View Poll Results: Harmful to fish?
Yes 8 80.00%
No 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2002, 02:33 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Boga grips?

Are they harmful to fish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2002, 03:09 PM

I think they are.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:11 PM
Jonesin...

I don't know?

After catching a few big blues on a fly I can see how using a boga grip would be less harmful than the alternative (placing your foot on its head so it can't snap back) but I think it would be more harmful for bass since I am generally able to release them without pulling them completly out of the water. Any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2002, 03:21 PM
Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

Send a message via AIM to Stone Send a message via Yahoo to Stone
RE:Harmful

Yes, they are harmful to the fish. BUT, are they MORE harmful than other options??? don't know.

depends on the situation...

Just a thought, isn't everything related to fishing harmful to fish?

I don't know about you, but I sure as heck would find it harmful to get my head yanked underwater by a piece of food I wanted to take a nibble out of, and you would have to assume the fish would feel the same about being yanked OUT of the water.

If we wanted to be nice to the fish, we would sit on the bank and take pictures only. We sure can be nicer than other options, and we should try to do that, but I think most incidents are unique enough to not be able to answer a question like this with a universal answer...
Old 06-21-2002, 04:04 PM

Stone,

Thats a novel conservation idea, photo fishing, sort of like photo
hunting.

I would need some different lens for my nikon though.

and what would I do with all my flies and rods, etc....
Old 06-21-2002, 04:50 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...yes and no..

If the Boga is used to control the fish while it remains in the water (the fish is not handled and the slime is not damaged as the barbless hook is removed) I don't see any problem...
If, on the other hand, the fish is held vertically out of the water using the Boga while photos are taken (or whatever) that's another story...damage to internal organs and tissue can occur from this unnatural stress...gravity sucks!
I wish there was more of an effort on the typical TV fishing shows to demonstrate "proper handling techniques"...without the required BassMaster extended lip-lock...
Old 06-21-2002, 05:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

My feeling is that since bogagrip by design incorporates the scale, everyone lifts the fish out of the water to see the weight.

Even a liplock using the thumb at least cradles the mandible joint against the cranial structure - but a free swinging cow by a tiny point at the tip of the lip is pure tension on the jaw joint, especially when it thrashes.

An exaggerated analogy is to be lifted by a finger verses being lifted by your arms crossed.

I think people use them to determine the weight of a fish for bragging purposes.

Per the other point, isn't everything harmful? Well, historically, sport fishermen have been the biggest proponents for the protection and well-being of fish and their habitat. I believe that spending a lot of leisure time learning everything you can about a species to catch and release with occasional harvest is at an even higher level a very important part of the preservation of the species.

On one tide change in a striper flat 1,000 fish will pass; if I am lucky I will catch a dozen. ON a hundred other flats, a thousand more will pass, and sportsmen fight for all of them to keep their ability to catch and release their dozen whenever they combat threats to their habitat or lobby against over-exploitation.

I believe that a flyfisherman's interest and interaction with fish does not harm them more than it helps them. But a bogagrip, a tool used to determine weight for bragging rights, is beyond where I personally draw that line.

Old 06-21-2002, 10:20 PM

Good point Juro, about the bragging rights.

For now on, I'm leaving the boga grip in the SUV to weigh quarter pounder's. Can't do much damage there.

Well maybe I'll use it again during bluefishing season.
Old 06-22-2002, 01:06 AM

Ray/Juro. Excellent points.

If the idea is "he who has the most toys wins," then you've missed the point of fishing. If the point is hook/release who cares what the beastie weighted?
fe
Old 06-23-2002, 08:21 AM
_

Are boga grips or similar tools harmful to the fish?

Yes, if all other factors are equal and you consider only the amount of harm done by using the tool versus not using the tool. But if using the tool enables someone to land, unhook, photograph and release the fish more quickly, without netting it or gaffing it or dragging it onto the sand or stepping on its head or grabbing it by the gills or eyes or squeezing it around the belly, then it may be less harmful to use the tool.

It seems like the manufacturers could make the tools a little more "fish friendly" by adding a some more metal or plastic to the "lip grip" part so that the pressure is distributed over a larger area. I have heard of people modifying their bogas to accomplish this. Of course, one would still have to use some common sense and a little knowledge to determine whether the fish is too large to lift by the jaw. This would vary from species to species. For example, even a 5 lb carp would likely be harmed by trying to hold it aloft by its lips, but you could probably lift a 100 lb catfish by the jaw and it wouldn't bother it a bit.

I asked for, and received, one of those Berkley "bogus grips" as a gift. I haven't even used it yet, mostly because I carry too much stuff with me already and don't feel like lugging that around too. It doesn't have a built in scale and I don't intend to use it for "bragging rights". I got it because I thought it would be safer (for me and the fish) when trying to land, unhook and possibly photograph large, unruly fish that have sharp teeth. Still, I may use it for fish photos which could be considered "bragging" anyway, regardless of whether there is a scale or tape measure in the photo. I think I'll try to customize mine by adding a ball of epoxy and/or a piece of rubber hose to each side of the lip grip.

Well, enough rambling. Time to go fishing!

Q
Old 06-23-2002, 07:04 PM
Fly chucker

If used properly, they are a great aid in handling a fish. But I've seen too many people abuse them for the reasons mentioned above, so I have to vote that they do more harm than good. If fewer people were concerned with the bragging rights, I might see it differently. Right now I don't see that.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:30 AM

The only weight that interests me is over 50#, no boga is gonna help me there. What is the need in weighting anything less? I'm gunning for TonyS and Bertha at 73#. You think the 9wt can handle it?
:eyecrazy:
Old 06-24-2002, 01:30 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Case...about those big fish I spotted from the air a few weeks ago...I distinctly saw one of biblical proportions with your name on her! She probably eatzz 9wtzz for breakfast...:hehe: If you're on a boat and can keep her pretty snoot outa' da rocks you might have a chance...I wanna'be there to cheer you on!

Last edited by Penguin; 06-24-2002 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.