Raiding the saltwater flybox - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2002, 09:30 AM

Raiding the saltwater flybox

Gonna do a little LM Bassin soon. I have this incredible urge to raid my saltwater flies. They got big hooks good colors. Anyone do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2002, 09:49 AM
Fly chucker

Lefty- I do that on a fairly regular basis. Decievers, Bangers, Seaducers, Surf Candies, Snake Flies, Clousers,......the list goes on and on. In addition, I've been tying up some small and sparse versions of Juro's Real Eel in smoke and bronze for an upcoming trip to the Cape, but couldn't help notice that they'd probably be killer on bass, especially smallmouths. I also occasionally find myself taking some of my so-called largemouth or pike flies and using them for stripers and blues.

I think that instead of rigidly defining my flyboxes by fresh vs. salt or by species type, I'm gonna just label them all "STUFF". That should keep my mind open. Seriously though, go for it. I've caught some awfully good bass on flies that were originally intended for the salt.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:36 PM

Awesome. I'm taking my son out one night this week for a LM run. My father in law has access to a small private quarry about 5 or 6 acres with huge bass in it, along with some small agressive ones too. Love that place. I caught a 3 or 4 lb. LM there a couple years ago on a rubber worm with spin gear. So I was gonna try and use a black snake fly to emulate it.

Lefty
Old 06-18-2002, 10:38 PM

I"m surprised that more saltwater flys don't get used in fresh water. The main difference is in the coating on or the material of the hook. I bet a size 10 deceiver would be a great trout fly if you get the right hook.

Last edited by John Desjardins; 06-18-2002 at 10:45 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.