Lots of advice needed please - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2002, 11:28 AM

Lots of advice needed please

I will be coming from UK to visit friends on Nantucket in early August for a week or so. I am very keen to try some fishing, but don't know where to begin, and I don't think my friends fish! I am fairly experienced with trout and salmon, having been fly fishing for 30 years, but have never cast a line in the salt.

I have been recommended Lou Tabory's 'Inshore Fly Fishing' as a general introduction, and am awaiting its arrival. Meanwhile I have various questions which I hope some of you may be able to help with.

1. Rod. I have nothing suitable in my armoury - all either too light (5-7wt) or too heavy (14'-15' spey rods) and none are 'travel' rods. I have been advised that a 9wt rod is most useful, but will get only limited use out of it back here. Will I be 'undergunned' with an 8wt, which would be more useful to me generally? Given that most tackle is cheaper over there, I was hoping to buy a rod when I arrive. Specifically, I was thinking of a Redington Wayfarer. These are also available in the UK, so making a claim on the guarantee will be easier should that be necessary. Any views on this rod? Sadly I'm not in the rplxi league!

2. Lines. Will an intermediate be sufficient, or will i need a fast sinker as well? And how much backing is needed - I have been told that there is a chance of albacore at that time of year?

3. Flies. I should like to tie some flies ahead of time, and have had a look at various sites etc. But, as always, there is a huge range out there. Is there a list of 'must have' patterns/colours/sizes you can suggest?

4. Any other information, help and advice will be very gratefully received - the more I read about salt water fishing, the more I am filled with anticipation at the prospect!

Many thanks in advance.

Charles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2002, 11:35 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Welcome!

As for as rods, Ihave the 5pc Wayfarer 8wt and I really like it. I fish it a great deal and feel that if its better for you back home, go for it.

Lines, there are basically two ways to go. If you get the intermediate, you'll just have to wait longer to get the line down. From shore this is usually not a problem, unless you plan to fish some of the rips on Nantucket. The intermediate will be perfect for the flats around Eel Point and other applications on the North side.

A fast sinking line can also fish the shallows with a little trade off in effectablity. It is tops in the rips or any deep water though.

If you plan to fish from shore, I'd go with the intermediate. If you are fishing from a boat, I'd go with the fast sink.

For flies, check the fly tying board here. A Mr. Striblue and Mr. Wojtan have put up a bunch as well as others around.

That book By Taboury will be a great starting point. Lots of excellent info!

Nick
Old 06-20-2002, 11:53 AM
Marine Scientist

Gardnener,
As Nick says, the 8-wt. Wayfarer is a good rod; I won one, and I have to say it's a bit more substantial than other 8 weights I've cast, it's more akin to a 9-wt, in my opinion. I'm taking that same rod to NJ next week for the same types of fish you'll be pursuing.
Ditto the rest of what Nick posted. Lou Tabory has written some great books. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2002, 02:36 PM
Recent Member

Nantucket is not an easy place to fish for shore-bound fly fisherman without an SUV (very, very expensive to rent one in the summer time). You may want to consider spending your money on a pro guide, rather than on equipment that won't get much use after you leave Nantucket. If you can get a friend to share a half day (4/5 hrs) guided boat trip cost, that's probably your best chance at catching good fish on flies. If you don't care about the method of fishing and just want to catch fish, and have a few friends to share the cost of booking a private charter boat, a private charter will take up to 4 to 6 people - usually productive and one of your non-fishing friends could catch the big one for dinner... I've tried fly fishing from shore on Nantucket a few times, but my boat trips were much more productive. You can also rent fishing equipment on Nantucket. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2002, 05:11 PM
BB5 Survivor

Charles --

You've picked a tough time for bass from shore (except for night...and then
it can be EXCELLENT depending on weather conditions) -- but you ought to have a legitimate shot at hitting blues & bonito (probably too early for albies) from shore.

With all due respect to Mr Wee....Will a boat put you on more fish? Yes. Does an SUV help for places like Great Point? Certainly. Is it possible to catch plenty of fish without an SUV? ABSOLUTELY!! I haven't run the beach much at all except for with friends (hi Shane!!)...but I also don't mind walking...The vast majority of my fish have come from the beach (sans SUV).

A 9wt is the normal rod of choice, but you will do fine with an 8wt. Stop by CrossRip Outfitters....they will doubtless be able to help with equipment/flies/locations and just about anything else you might require.

Should you decide to go with a guide, I believe Steve Moore will be on island around that time...and he is excellent!!

In any event, drop me an email (or PM) if you'd like...I'm likely to be there at least for one weekend of your trip and perhaps we can wet a line together.

cheers,

jared

(check your PM box)
Old 06-20-2002, 06:33 PM

Gardener

You can walk from town to Jetties Beach on a coming tide at dawn or dark and catch large fish on the outside of the west jetty with sand eel and silverside patterns. With Korkers and a life vest, you can walk further out the jetty and nail albies on white bunnies and sparse surf candies. You can walk to Brant Point lighthouse at dawn and compete with the bait slingers. Lob big sand eel patterns into the holes created by the ferry propellers. You can drive or bicycle to Tom Nevers and Surfside and Miacomet and walk onto beaches and catch fish in the wash. You can drive to the 42nd pole and hike a little bit to flats where you [i]might[i] still see a few cruising bass in August. I love my SUV, but as Jared said, there are plenty of places to fish on the island without four-wheel drive.

In addition to Cross Rip, go see Bill Pew at Bill Fisher Tackle just out of town on New Lane. Hes another wonderful outfitter with years of island wisdom. You can even rent an RPLXi from Bill rather than buy, if you'll only use the Wayfarer infrequently. In addition to Steve Moore, if youre considering a charter, look up Tom Mleczko (http://www.capttom.com/), another superb boat guide.

Watch your PM in the next couple of days for a more detailed message and send me your postal address. My wife and kids are on the island right now and Ill have them bring back an island map and tide chart and mark these and other spots to send you.

One last thing. Never go to Nantucket in August.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
ditto

I've been out a few time on the island and done ok from shore. did better on a charter( but that is another issue). if you use Steve Moore, he'll work hard to get you into fish. if you want a great(cheap) 8 wt look at these http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...d=&parentType= they are a great rod, I have the 3pc 8wt + 10wt I use them all the time. cabela's is great, no hassle returns etc... you could have it shipped to your vacation house and have it there for you. do you have a reel to use with the rod? if you normally use floating lines, stick with the int. for less agrevation. if you give us your mail address we will probably inundate you with flies :eyecrazy: Tom D
Old 06-20-2002, 09:18 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Wow look at all these referrals! As you guys know, the new policy on the FORUM is that for every non-sponsor you promote, you are on the hook to send them an email asking them to consider sponsorship CC: advertising@flyfishingforum.com

THANKS GUYS! :hehe:
Old 06-21-2002, 01:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
Thumbs up ok

no problemo Juro... just flashed em an email
Old 06-21-2002, 08:38 AM

Redington

Charles,

Unlike the other users on this thread, my fishing buddy has had major problems with Redington. The tip-tops on both their freshwater and saltwater wayfarers are fragile and not very well attached. Customer service was good, but when they sent the replacement rod it had a cheap-quality cork with a big soft spot - obviously a factory second. As they say...you get what you pay for....

Just my .02.

BigD
Old 06-21-2002, 10:25 AM

Steve Moore, and ask him to take you to the bonito bar.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:12 AM

Thumbs up Thank you

Fantastic response from all of you - I'm really grateful for all the advice and offers of help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.