Fly Line Inventory - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2002, 07:42 AM
Middle Aged Member

Fly Line Inventory

I have 9 and 10 wieght clear intermediates and a 325 grain QD. I have ordered a spool for my 9/10 LA and wondering what I should spool up. I'm thinking 425 grain QD to use with my ten wgt, using loop to loop backing/fly line connection for quick change to future possible (floating?) aquisitions. Frankly, I feel like I've got things covered for the fishing I do with ithe intermediate and the 325 QD. But then, it would be fun to experiment. Any thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2002, 11:19 AM
Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

Send a message via AIM to Stone Send a message via Yahoo to Stone
I would offer some usefull advice, but I only do lake/river fishing so a 6 weight is heavy to me.

But, FWIW, I always have been told to have a rod set up for any encounter you may have for long trips... i.e. a rod set up with a wet line and a dry line rig also ready to go beside you...

Even a 'quick' line change can take a lot of fishing out of a day if you have to do it by/in the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2002, 08:16 AM

You're next line should be 30' of LC_13. I know I sound like a broken record about this stuff, but it really makes a difference. Nothing sinks so fast, or casts as far.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:29 AM
JD

Rigging

Fred,

Put a big loop in your backing. Big enough to be able to get a whole line on the factory spool though it. I have always done this with a double bimini but Leroy showed me a better way. He splices the loop and there is virtually no knot to hang up in the guides. The other neat tool is the Struble line winder. Remind me the next time I head up your way and I'll bring it and my splicing stuff and set you up.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:55 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Eddie -

I agree with the LC-13, 24 feet is about all I needed. Great solution for the conditions it satisfies. What did you do for a loop? I supplemented my regular steely line loop with an extra braided insert and it works great. I would like to splice it but it's practically impossible with this stuff.

Anyone who figures out a clean splice for LC13 to running line should get an award!
Old 06-24-2002, 05:55 PM

Juro, I have a reel dedicated to that line. I loop the backing to the Rio clear intermediate running line and I use a straight piece of 30# braid to chinese finger cuff the lead core and the running line together. I slide a piece of 50# braid over the middle of the two lines for a little piece of mind. Smooth and strong enough to last almost a season. The whole system is only stong enough. The backing is thirty pounds. The running line is 25# and the lead core is maybe 28#. I fish 15-20# tippet. So far so good.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:46 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds good - so you don't get the clunk-clunk guide knocker problem. Next time we hook up pls let me check it out, I want to set it up as an oceanside rip line. Last time I fished out there with Capt. Bruce Peters I wished I had it. Also will be a good tool for my next fall coho salmon sortie'.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:32 PM
Middle Aged Member

Thanks for the feedback. Between Eddie and Juro's comments on heads and a thread on the other board I think I've found a use for the QD I got caught in a prop last year while defouling a fly (running line and about 4 feet of the head still intact). And I get to educate myself in the fine art of making braided loops and so forth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.