OK, one more hobby I can't resist. - Fly Fishing Forum
the Rod Rack Rod Builder's Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2002, 12:01 PM
Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

Send a message via AIM to Stone Send a message via Yahoo to Stone
Cool OK, one more hobby I can't resist.

First I just started as a very basic fly fisherman. Used an old glass hand-me-down rod from my Grandfather, some of his (and my) store-bought flies and went out and whipped the water until every fish in sight was gone.

Eventually I got the hang of casting enought to get at least two or three really good casts each time I went out. I got a little bold and purchased an inexpensive fly-tying kit from LL Bean and have been using only my own tied flies ever since.

Now I am at the point where I only have about two dozen bad casts in an outing and I have tied about five or six proven trout patterns. So as I get the hang of both tying and fishing, I couldn't help but tackle another task.....

BUILDING MY FIRST ROD!

My first step was to read the entire ROD RACK section of flyfishingforum.com and all posts in this forum, as well as all the links (especially flyshop.com and flyanglersonline.com). By the way Jim, I printed out your testimonial as a guide as well.

So once I sell my house and move up north to Plymouth, NH I will be purchasing my first blank and other components! (as well as getting a digital camera so you can see some pics of NH fishing, flies and the like!)

Gawd, what would I do with all my money if it wasn't for fly fishing???:eyecrazy:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2002, 03:45 PM
Marine Scientist

Stone,
I've built a few rods now, and recently picked up a really good book on the topic; can't think of what it's called (so it must be reaaally good), I'll have to look later. It has a few pointers that the websites don't offer. I'll check into it tonight. Rod building can be a lot of fun if you have a motorized turner; if not, well, it might get a bit tedious.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.